Match Thread: Tranmere Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

Another tough 6 pointer, currently 11 points difference and 3 games in hand, plus a Tuesday trip to Hartlepool for Tranmere. Can we make it 6 games unbeaten? More game time for the Proctor – Wilson combination? DC hoping for an improvement after the Cobblers performance, but caution still likely to be evident or is there less pressure away to show some attacking flair?

Advert:

Frustrated I can't go as I can walk to Prenton Park. Because I know it well, I can say it's a tight ground. Holy hoofing the ball high and left all game like yesterday won't work. Nor will Pett taking too long on the ball in midfield. Tranmere have improved their strikers since we played then in game 1. That day they controlled the possession but we offered serious direct threats in spurts and the draw was about right. Northampton set up well yesterday. They marked Wilson effectively and showed Hussey on to his right foot. Also defended their box well. I'll ignore the stupid referee!

But this team / squad is capable and its about consistency. Because of the nature of Prenton Park, and the possession Tranmere can maintain through their inherent style, I don't think a park the bus approach will work. I think it has to be made an all action physical game pressing from the front. We do have slightly better players than Tranmere if they're up for it. Most of all get to Spearing and don't make mistakes at the back. Holy command the box.

Edited by Warren
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Warren said:

Frustrated I can't go as I can walk to Prenton Park. Because I know it well, I can say it's a tight ground. Holy hoofing the ball high and left all game like yesterday won't work. Nor will Pett taking too long on the ball in midfield. Tranmere have improved their strikers since we played then in game 1. That day they controlled the possession but we offered serious direct threats in spurts and the draw was about right. Northampton set up well yesterday. They marked Wilson effectively and showed Hussey on to his right foot. Also defended their box well. I'll ignore the stupid referee!

But this team / squad is capable and its about consistency. Because of the nature of Prenton Park, and the possession Tranmere can maintain through their inherent style, I don't think a park the bus approach will work. I think it has to be made an all action physical game pressing from the front. We do have slightly better players than Tranmere if they're up for it. Most of all get to Spearing and don't make mistakes at the back. Holy command the box.

That's what FGR did from minute one Warren.Played on the front foot,went in front after 6 minutes,two up at half-time and went on to win 4-0.Their pressing was second to none.

• Like 1

Advert:

With all the games in hand to be re-scheduled, does anyone else find it strange that we haven't got a fixture coming up this mid-week?

All rescheduled but we have done them evenly.

So 2 Midweek games followed by a week off then 2 Midweeks.

Dc was saying there grounds got a nice pitch that will only benefit the Vale as I think the Vale need to sort there pitch out once and for all we want performances then the pitch as be invested in at some point in the future. 

Team well I'd go with this .

Holy 

Smith Walker Hall 

Worrall             Hussey

Pett Garrity 

Wilson

Cooper Proctor .

Make of that what you will .

UTV 

Time to up the ante .

Advert:

3 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

With all the games in hand to be re-scheduled, does anyone else find it strange that we haven't got a fixture coming up this mid-week?

Tranmere at Hartlepool on Tuesday. I'll take the week off this time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Valiant62 said:

Time to bring Lucas back in from the cold and get better distribution from the very back.

Holy is higher level keeper. Played 150 games at League 1. He looks much stronger. One thing to notice is that he isn't diving around and that is because a} he takes good position. b} he makes the opposition miss because of his size. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Warren said:

Tranmere at Hartlepool on Tuesday. I'll take the week off this time.

I understand that argument, but it just means cramming in more matches into one week less, so we'll end up with moore of two-fixture weeks to contend with. 

Advert:

3 hours ago, tommytunstall said:

Think Lucas’s time is done, to much of a risk

Whilst I believe Holy is probably a better goalkeeper than Covolan, I do believe Covolan is a better keeper than Stone. Following on from his sending off v Swindon he is suffering further punishment from the club in addition to the mandatory FA ban. Life is for learning and I personally would be willing to give Lucas one more try if the opportunity presented itself. But the question I ask myself, does he really deserve it?

6 hours ago, Valiant62 said:

Time to bring Lucas back in from the cold and get better distribution from the very back.

Not worth the risk. Holy looked very good Saturday and can pass it just think we wanted go long Saturday! Cov won’t play for vale again.