• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Northampton Town

Fosse69

We've been picked out as one of the bets of the week by the Not The Top 20 podcast. They think we are one of the best teams in the league who've had a bad run, and the betting market is still lagging behind our good performances since FGR. Northampton only seem to win 1-0 with a header from a set piece so stop that happening and we'll have enough to roll them over.
They also earlier in the year designated us as the team most likely to make third, saying that despite our bad time with injuries and Covid stoppages, all the numbers and data suggested we were to good to stay outside the automatics come the end of the season. 
A rule I've lived by which has always served me well - Never bet on Vale
  • Like 8

Advert:

1 minute ago, philmpv said:
6 minutes ago, Walka003 said:
We've been picked out as one of the bets of the week by the Not The Top 20 podcast. They think we are one of the best teams in the league who've had a bad run, and the betting market is still lagging behind our good performances since FGR. Northampton only seem to win 1-0 with a header from a set piece so stop that happening and we'll have enough to roll them over.
They also earlier in the year designated us as the team most likely to make third, saying that despite our bad time with injuries and Covid stoppages, all the numbers and data suggested we were to good to stay outside the automatics come the end of the season. 

A rule I've lived by which has always served me well - Never bet on Vale

Would tend to agree, you only end up disappointed twice 🙂 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Doha said:

Port Vale v Northampton Town (15:00)
ALAN YOUNG
Richard Morris and Oliver Bickle
Fourth Official : Joe Clark

Remember earlier in the season when a ref full on forgot to play injury time at Orient, blew for HT, then had the players come out of the tunnel to play 4 minutes before they switched ends so they could technically start the second half?

Well....

To add to this on NT Forum one contributor is saying :

Alan Young has only reffed 12 games this season, dishing out 54 yellow and three red cards. Last season saw 143 yellows and 3 reds, so its fair to say he's not afraid to use his cards!! We last saw him in September 2020 during our early season home defeat to Hull City. The game before that was at the back end of 2019 when he sent off Scott Wharton at Leyton Orient.

Normally when I look back through referee records I can see the odd game where no cards are issued.....Young has not had a competitive game in which he hasn't booked someone!! 174 games since August 2015, 736 yellow cards and 30 reds. Watch yourself Mr McWilliams!!

14 minutes ago, osprey said:

To add to this on NT Forum one contributor is saying :

Alan Young has only reffed 12 games this season, dishing out 54 yellow and three red cards. Last season saw 143 yellows and 3 reds, so its fair to say he's not afraid to use his cards!! We last saw him in September 2020 during our early season home defeat to Hull City. The game before that was at the back end of 2019 when he sent off Scott Wharton at Leyton Orient.

Normally when I look back through referee records I can see the odd game where no cards are issued.....Young has not had a competitive game in which he hasn't booked someone!! 174 games since August 2015, 736 yellow cards and 30 reds. Watch yourself Mr McWilliams!!

He could ruin a good game 

Advert:

Worst ref this season was the Bradford one. Three red cards missed. I wonder if the ref this Saturday would have booked any of the FGR players?!

I'm hopeful of 3 points this weekend. One of the forwards to score. And hopefully another clean sheet. That'll do nicely

Big game tomorrow Northampton bringing 450 fair play to them who are attending .

Vale I'm not sure who will be in the starting 11 .

Walker I'd be leaving him where he played tues .

In fact apart from maybe one change I wouldn't be changing the team at all .

To be honest I do not think he will change the team as they were good value on Tues. 

We at home though and I love a winger especially one who goes for it so I'd like see more of Cooper tomorrow I do not think he will start as building up his match fitness but I'd like see a good 30 minute cameo at least .

We have everything to gain let's go forwards with intent all game roared on by I would be very disappointed if less than 6500 Vale turn out tomoz as they should .

UTV 

My first visit to Vale Park tomorrow, with my 2 sons.

Me and the oldest are Leicester season ticket holders. Youngest son just likes watching lower league football so we go to different games when we can. 

Looking forward to the visit, have fond memories of playing you at Filbert Street in the 90s but never made it to Vale Park.

Advert:

I hope we stick to the same tactics as Tuesday night. I think Wilson can cause real damage in that 10 role just behind a front 2. He's more difficult to mark there as well & can thrive with a bit more time & space rather than a defender up his arse everytime he gets the ball.

I've been impressed with Harratt & Edmondson. Harratt looks like he could pop up with a goal at any minute & is really energetic. Edmondson's hold up play & power has impressed me for a young lad. I think both can cause Northampton problems.

Normally quite the pessimist but I am feeling quietly confident for tomorrow. It feels like we are getting back to our best & I'm not sure Northampton are all that. Difficult to break down maybe but certainly nothing to be afraid of. Just have to compete physically. 

Vale 2-0 Northampton 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

I hope we stick to the same tactics as Tuesday night. I think Wilson can cause real damage in that 10 role just behind a front 2. He's more difficult to mark there as well & can thrive with a bit more time & space rather than a defender up his arse everytime he gets the ball.

I've been impressed with Harratt & Edmondson. Harratt looks like he could pop up with a goal at any minute & is really energetic. Edmondson's hold up play & power has impressed me for a young lad. I think both can cause Northampton problems.

Normally quite the pessimist but I am feeling quietly confident for tomorrow. It feels like we are getting back to our best & I'm not sure Northampton are all that. Difficult to break down maybe but certainly nothing to be afraid of. Just have to compete physically. 

Vale 2-0 Northampton 

Agree, go with the same team again and attack them. A early goal and Vale Park bouncing would be just the ticket. 

I just hope we really get behind them tomorrow. They said how much it helped against Forest Green. I still think we’re the 2nd best side in this league just had incredibly bad luck. Set out to win and we will win this. Can’t see Wilson not scoring to be honest. 2-0 vale 

• Like 2

Apologies, as no doubt this has already been mentioned somewhere, and I know Darrell has conditioned players, staff, journalists and supporters that we only look as far as the next game, but in within the space of 11 days mid to late march, we play Mansfield, Exeter and Sutton all at home  😂😂😂

26 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

Apologies, as no doubt this has already been mentioned somewhere, and I know Darrell has conditioned players, staff, journalists and supporters that we only look as far as the next game, but in within the space of 11 days mid to late march, we play Mansfield, Exeter and Sutton all at home  😂😂😂

Be optimistic. They may all be 10-15 points below us by then!

Advert: