• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Northampton Town

Fosse69

36 minutes ago, Jermaine Holwynn said:

You read this back and I think you will find plenty slagging DC off actually.

I’m critical of Saturday, just not overly critical because what’s the point?

Like I said originally, feels to me like there was more support for Askey and Aspin in the bottom half of the table then there is for DC just off the playoffs with games in hand.

imo of course, have to caveat everything with that now just so people don’t explain to me what an opinion is every time.

Also as someone above said, disappointing performance yes, disappointing result - not really.

Mate a lot of us feel the same, but to be honest we've had a lot worse forums than this over the last couple of months. There's been a lot of level headed replies as well, yours being one of them 😊. So let's try and ignore the obvious haters (there arnt that many) and accept the level headed critiques. There's also Always the ignore option button to press if they really get on your stones. Sometimes helps me to have a couple of days off from reading if there's too much bile being spouted 👍😁

• Like 1

Advert:

47 minutes ago, Jermaine Holwynn said:

Like I said originally, feels to me like there was more support for Askey and Aspin in the bottom half of the table then there is for DC just off the playoffs with games in hand.

imo of course, have to caveat everything with that now just so people don’t explain to me what an opinion is every time.

Also as someone above said, disappointing performance yes, disappointing result - not really.

To be honest if folk were slagging DC off then there has be a reason for it  

I do not think our support think we are entitled however if you are having what was it one attempt on target at home then folk will not be happy with that even DC wasn't so I think he realised after the  event when most folk realise there cause of action was wrong he set us up nullify there strengths which in turn weakened us when a full tilt Vale I believe and that's the reason why I went the game as I saw signs of a full tilt Vale in phases of Carlisle game I believe we would have not only won the game but won it well if we played to our strengths which is high press 3 up front not giving them opportunity get out,the fact they managed get out so easily was because by dropping Harratt and bringing in Martin it was deemed by supporters as a negative move and yes we got a 0-0 but if you want to attract new support to the ground then very little of saturdays game would want them come back again meaning we do not move forwards .

Home crowd need to be more up for games aswell I sensed a nervousness within the support sat as no longer having a beer I see games more clearly now .

Love DC but feel a lot of the  support at the home games do not I guess scoring 1 goal maximum in recent home games is not helping but then his he helping himself as Coopers come on v Carlisle created a mistake from there full back by harrying for Amoo score then he as beat 3 players from a short corner the game was crying our for someone like that who did we get like for like .

Highlight of match for me was Holys quick throw outs .

Need to do better for sure .

Edited by Breadwinner

55 minutes ago, Jermaine Holwynn said:

DC has got loads of support apart from a couple on here. You have to remember he has been backed and has said play offs are a must. Saturday was really poor but it’s still a point and clean sheet. Fans can criticise team selection / tactics especially when it’s been a consistent issue throughout the season. (And one that DC criticised Askey for previously) 

You can criticise without slagging off. It wasn’t good enough, DC said so himself. I’ve been after us playing a back 4 literally all season at home, he changes the formation quite a lot in game but always sets up with that back 3/5 which I don’t think is necessary at home. 

At the end of the day he’s a league 2 manager for a league 2 team. Players have off days and managers get it wrong. We’re still in a very very good position and I still think we can push for the automatics with 3 of our best players coming back. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, For Us All said:

TC will make a big difference in midfield when he returns.

Definitely if he plays advanced in  behind the strikers. He carries such a goal threat as well.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2022 at 09:36, Osh said:

Yet people constantly slag off DC for changing formation too much...??

We've had huge injury problems, its taken Wilson ages to get back to (almost full fitness), Proctor will need 6, 7, 8 or more games to be back to where he was when he got injured, the new players coming in don't just automatically gel.

No, it wasn't pretty BUT a) we didn't lose b) we got (another) point, c) against a team who were favourites to go back up and, d) have been playing well. 

They played a completely different game than FGR and looked happy to sit-in and frustrate. 

On to Tranmere - can't wait.  They're playing well but I think we can out-do them.

KTF and UTV 

But we were happy to sit in and frustrate, despite being the home team, hence the match being an absolute woeful watch. When we did actually try to play a bit of football we looked like we could cause them problems, but we didn't do it anything like enough. We worried far more about what they can do than concentrate on what we can do when we actually play a bit.

Edited by Beech

Advert:

But we were happy to sit in and frustrate, despite being the home team, hence the match being an absolute woeful watch. When we did actually try to play a bit of football we looked like we could cause them problems, but we didn't do it anything like enough. We worried far more about what they can do than concentrate on what we can do when we actually play a bit.
I don't think that is right. From DCs post match interview, it's abundantly clear that, for whatever reason, the 11 on the pitch didn't play as DC had intended. If they had, we may have carried a lot more attacking threat. As he said, it's on him to find out why that happened. I don't think it was a simple case of defend at all costs at all

On 16/02/2022 at 20:43, philmpv said:
On 16/02/2022 at 20:15, Beech said:

I don't think that is right. From DCs post match interview, it's abundantly clear that, for whatever reason, the 11 on the pitch didn't play as DC had intended. If they had, we may have carried a lot more attacking threat. As he said, it's on him to find out why that happened. I don't think it was a simple case of defend at all costs at all

I don't either. But he is reponsible for the formation and Northampton would have gone into the game knowing full well that if they stop our two wing-backs from marauding forward then they will go a long, long way into neutralising us. And nobody will ever convince me that Worrall is better off at wing-back. You should play your best players in their best positions.

Playing this 5-3-2 formation at home can suddenly look rather negative if a team does a job on the wing-backs, in my opinion.

Edited by Beech
  • Like 2

Beech, you are correct Worrall is more effective at right wing as he’s getting older and doesn’t have the energy any more to play from back to front down the right side. If you want him to be effective then right wing it is. A similarity between Northampton and Swindon was that their right wingers remained out wide on the touch line throughout the game even when they’d got it at their left back position. Sometimes standing without a Vale player within 20 yards. Then they’d move the ball by passing with ease through midfield in the players direction, but not always utilising them  and going back towards the left. Stretching our defence

• Like 1