onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Northampton Town

Fosse69

Can't wait for Saturday.  Will be up early to drive down to Vale Park before heading back to sunny Brizzol.

Thought everyone in the team played well last night; glad Wilson got his goal and seeing him playing with such confidence; it lifts the rest of the team.  Also pleased for Amoo - you could see what it meant to him; long time since he smiled like that.

Cooper!  Jesus I can't wait to see him spend some good amount of time on the pitch.

Prediction for Saturday 3-1 Vale.

KYF

Advert

This might not be the opponent to do it against for the reasons stated above on Northamptons threat off set pieces but I did really love Walker in that back three last night. Almost allowed him to take on a quarterback role and take advantage of his passing range as well as giving him license step up to help the midfield. With Proctors imminent return a lot of good problems for DC at last.

Definitely our biggest game of the season so far, win this and all of a sudden the teams above us will start looking very nervously in our direction.

1 hour ago, Osh said:

Can't wait for Saturday.  Will be up early to drive down to Vale Park before heading back to sunny Brizzol.

Thought everyone in the team played well last night; glad Wilson got his goal and seeing him playing with such confidence; it lifts the rest of the team.  Also pleased for Amoo - you could see what it meant to him; long time since he smiled like that.

Cooper!  Jesus I can't wait to see him spend some good amount of time on the pitch.

Prediction for Saturday 3-1 Vale.

KYF

i agree, looks more dangerous than politic?☺️

5 hours ago, andy jones said:

Seems the top 6 on the whole have hit amazing form. FGR are out of sight and I fear Tranmere are too. 

Which leaves the likes of Mansfield, Northampton, Exeter, Newport and us fighting for one automatic. Can't see Sutton lasting the pace.

On the upside most have to still come to Vale Park.

On the downside Vale Park isn't the fortress of yore.

Basically, are we good enough to make it a fortress again?

Stop letting in sloppy goals is a must!

Still a very very long way to go with lots of twist and turns to come.

FGR are home and hosed but I still think the other 2 auto places a very much up for grabs.

Next 2 games crucial for us.

18 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Seeing that they score a lot of set plays, I’d bring Martin back in for Harrott. Only change for me and then Walker although looked fantastic at CB last night, back into Cm for this one. I think we will get something from this, we’re starting to look like our old selves again 

Think I would go with same again, for me that team with Smith, Walker and Hall at the back, enough height there to deal with Northampton's threat.  I thought Walker was our best player and when that formation is played, he is the perfect player to be played in that position.  For me maybe Cooper comes in for one of the 2 young forwards. 

I really hope our support comes out in force like they should for this really big game.  We should be getting close to 7000 for this, like to think if we get 5500 for Scunthorpe, Northampton also likely to bring 1000+.

5 hours ago, EricHamesis said:

Yes, despite our improved results all the 7 teams above us have taken more points from the last 5 games.

Yes...but in the last 2 games Sutton have drawn both and Newport lost both, which - hopefully - shows we are coming back into form, and they are dropping out of form? 

It's games like this that will determine where we finish in the league. For me, it's must-win, and absolutely, not-lose.

Broadly, you would think we will have similar results to the teams around us against the bottom half - and we can't rely on teams dropping points. If we can win against those around us, it has that double effect, particularly while we still have 1-2 games in hand on most. I'd still rather have points in the bank than games in hand, so the sooner we can get on a winning run and get back up in that top 3 mix, the better.

Their games seem to be pretty tight and low scoring. Hopefully we can nick it.

Whilst respecting their league position and set piece prowess let the onus be on them to worry about us.
Nothing to fear here, take the game to them and let's get at them from the off. 
A big super positive home crowd sending the positive vibes to the players, keep believing together, up the Vale %

Surely we are too strong not to finish outside the top 7. I really think if we had been contending with 1 or 2 first team injuries at a time so far, then we’d be up there now firmly cemented in 2nd. The striker crisis and the constant injuries throughout the team, coupled with a run of poor form, has knocked us into a false position. We have the games in hand, we’re building momentum and we have the team. Get some injured players back and we’ll be even better. That 3rd spot is well and truly there for the taking and we can get it.

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

I thought we were dreadful in the season opener against them. Yet we still looked competitive and could have grabbed something. Will never forget Covalan’s antics, but as we now have a sane keeper, I expect at least a draw. 

I probs like most only expected a draw against FGR at that time, and in a strange way was dissapointed at the end of the game that we had only drawn, but not, if that makes sense. We are few games on now and playing better than we did against FGR. For me I only expect the 3 points. 

Port Vale v Northampton Town (15:00)
ALAN YOUNG
Richard Morris and Oliver Bickle
Fourth Official : Joe Clark

Remember earlier in the season when a ref full on forgot to play injury time at Orient, blew for HT, then had the players come out of the tunnel to play 4 minutes before they switched ends so they could technically start the second half?

Well....

I am encouraged by the fact that we have 8 points from the last 4 games. If we can average 2 points per game from now then we shouldn't be too far away. I'd stick with 3-4-3 or 3-4-1-2. 

I firmly believe that if we keep clean sheets then there are enough players who can score. Starting with Saturday.

Wilson coming back and scoring is a huge plus. The two loan lads are hard workers and we have options on the bench.

The situation looks a lot better than after the Swindon game.

Newport rely on Telford,Swindon have lost Simpson. I expect Sutton to fall away. Mansfield must be due a bad run...

However I'd just like us to focus on us and get behind the team like we did in the FGR match

Archived