• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Northampton Town

Fosse69

I suppose it’s a second division mentally that we can play well in two games then play appalling badly in the next. Yesterday we could not put two passes together a couple of times under no pressure we passed the ball out of touch. Very disappointing from from two fronts the team and fans didn’t turn up ! I think if both teams were still playing it would still be goalless. The main thing to take from this game is a clean sheet and the defence looked very assured. If we don’t improve and get on the front at Tranmere then we will be in trouble.

Advert:

Just a point. They were a really well organised side who can play cutting football. We saw within the first two or three minutes how quickly they could move from box to box - that kind of threat needs to be nullified, which we did. They were not 3rd for no reason. After tranmere next Saturday we will have played the top 3 within 2 or so weeks and I'm betting non of them will have beaten us. After that we have got Mansfield Exeter and Sutton all at home within 11 days - shed load of points there to completely reshape the play off places. I get that we want to see performances like Carlisle, but equally we have to stop the top teams scoring as they can well shut up shop if they get ahead. Having said all that I agree that against some teams at home it would be wonderful to watch Cooper skinning some hapless wingback before cutting back for big Jamie to bust the net from the edge of the box 😁😁😁👍👍👍

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Dangermouse3 said:

Have you a VPN? Is it set for USA or UK? When I want to watch a Saturday game I set my VON to France!

Unsure if this helps!

Thanks for the reply D3. I don't have a VPN as I've not had a need for one as I have a subscription to iFollow and have just listened to Radio Stoke over the internet. I'm gonna contact Radio Stoke and ask what's going on.

10 hours ago, PV1973 said:

But hoisting balls into the box is a waste of time  when we have no one capable of battering defenders in the air or if we have no one arriving to pick up the second ball.

Couldn't agree more PV and Hussey and Worrall and others put in some superb crosses, unfortunately whilst Proctor has been out there's not been any one to take advantage of them.  I was surprised we didn't sign another experience striker in January (We were one light in August IMHO), one capable of getting on the end of these crosses and to provide cover and competition for Proctor and Wilson. It's a big ask to expect two young players to score the goals that will fire Vale to promo. Hopefully Proctor will stay fit and do the business.

10 hours ago, PV1973 said:

One of our best passages of play yesterday was when we got to the byline and cut it back for (Garrity I think) to blaze over. We also scored a good goal like that at Carlisle in the week. I’ve said it many times on here but look back at our play in the first half of the season and how many goals and chances we created or scored by doing that. Conlons threading balls though,  wingbacks or wingers getting to the byline and pulling it back or across goal for someone arriving late or a striker finding space. Hussey may be a steady player but he rarely gets beyond an opposition full back and that makes him easy to defend against and nullify. He has an unbelievable  delivery when given the chance but what’s the point when we don’t have a dominant striker? Plus it means the ball comes back at us quickly too when that’s cleared out. Worrall can be pushed back quite easily if the opposition play on the front foot and for most of the first half that’s what they did yesterday.

We have become quite static in how we play and the key I think is getting Proctor, conlon and Gibbo back as soon as possible. Or we change formation either from the start or during games to allow Worrall more freedom and also to get a left winger on in front of Hussey. But having said all that the  points return has been good this last few games, so maybe the manager has it right.

It's been real bad luck having the two most creative central midfield players, Conlon and Taylor, out at the same time as it's these types of players most likely to play the key pass behind the full back for Wozz, Hussey or Gibbo when he's fit. I'm not a fan of 3-5-2 but as you say how can you "argue" with it when it's done so well for the Vale although I'm not convinced it suits our squad best as you outline.....but who am I to "argue".

• Like 1

Advert:

On 12/02/2022 at 22:14, Beech said:

Because we play the same wing-back formation time after time, home or away. It's really not that difficult to figure out.

Yet people constantly slag off DC for changing formation too much...??

We've had huge injury problems, its taken Wilson ages to get back to (almost full fitness), Proctor will need 6, 7, 8 or more games to be back to where he was when he got injured, the new players coming in don't just automatically gel.

No, it wasn't pretty BUT a) we didn't lose b) we got (another) point, c) against a team who were favourites to go back up and, d) have been playing well. 

They played a completely different game than FGR and looked happy to sit-in and frustrate. 

On to Tranmere - can't wait.  They're playing well but I think we can out-do them.

KTF and UTV 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MBE said:

In tight games like they you need someone who can unlock the door with a bit of skill or a killer pass. We don’t have another player other than Woz capable of carrying the ball and providing that moment from midfield. It’s why I really can’t understand why Cooper or/and Amoo where not introduced to try and pull Northampton out of the defensive shape. Very negative from DC.

We are very one dimensional team at the minute and easy to defend against at home.

Yeah, I was surprised about that. I can understand the logic in changing it from Carlisle and making it more defensive for a better side but for me, it wasn't working and I would have preferred some more attacking changes.

For starters, I was surprised there wasn't a switch to a Carlisle-type formation when it was clear we weren't creating much. I think Walker looks a better player in the back three than in the midfield and I would have swapped him back there when Vale were struggling and then brought on another forward for Martin. That would allow us to have the same formation as against Carlisle with Wilson as a withdrawn forward where he looked a class above. 

Then if that hadn't worked, you'd still have the option to bring on an Amoo or Cooper to add some pace and trickery on the flanks.

For me, there were too many like-for-like subs on Saturday ( Charsley > Walker / Proctor > Edmondson / Harratt > Wilson ) so Northampton were comfortable in their formation.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I found it interesting in his post match interview that he said "I am disappointed for my fans" as if we only go to watch Vale because he is manager

To be fair I think that was simply a slip of the tongue from "our" to "my" - I base that on the fact that he's never said at any other time that everyone is here for him (in fact largely the opposite - such as his pre-season message "I’m privileged to be here managing for fantastic owners and fantastic supporters") so I don't think that use of "my" is anything other than an error.

He speaks extensively to the media, unscripted, before and after every game, he's not going to get the right words out every time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

21 hours ago, MBE said:

In tight games like they you need someone who can unlock the door with a bit of skill or a killer pass. We don’t have another player other than Woz capable of carrying the ball and providing that moment from midfield. It’s why I really can’t understand why Cooper or/and Amoo where not introduced to try and pull Northampton out of the defensive shape. Very negative from DC.

We are very one dimensional team at the minute and easy to defend against at home.

TC will make a big difference in midfield when he returns.

23 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I found it interesting in his post match interview that he said "I am disappointed for my fans" as if we only go to watch Vale because he is manager

He used the wrong possessive!

b9297d4c-8632-4273-954b-e82c0e42637a_102

• Like 1

Thought we put the effort in but  quality and especially the final ball were lacking. Northampton were industrious and pacey so it was easy to see why they were at the top. A draw not a bad result but probably looking for a sequence of wins although 7 points out of 9 is not a bad return.

Edited by The man in the pub
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jermaine Holwynn said:

What a journey I had reading back this thread.

I think if DC wanted motivation for future games all he would have to do is read this forum and see how many of his own ‘fans’ have got it in for him.

A 0-0 draw to 3rd in the league and what do we get, constant moaning and bitching from the usual keyboard warriors after what isn’t a convincing win.

“We deserve more, the owners deserve more, crap tactics, crap players, crap manager, crap pitch, why didn’t we sign x player, why can’t we play like x team, why didn’t we play x way, I deserve value for money, why isn’t the manager doing what I say, I NEED MORE THAN CHICKEN BALTI PIES, we are Vale not Barca, why are we still having a Robbie gig, the owners are great but the tannoy is <ovf censored> they should close it down, 22 quid of my hard earned money, Holy kicked it out in the wind, Wilson looked uninterested, we could have signed anyone, these loans won’t do, we need experience, we will never make playoffs.”

Never known a set of more entitled ‘fan base’ in al my life, reading back some of the usual participants comments on here is embarrassing.

How it seems like Neil Aspin had more backing then DC from the fans is incomprehensible to me. 

Football is a matter of opinions you’ll find most fan bases are the same as us 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Football is a matter of opinions you’ll find most fan bases are the same as us 

Are they?

This one has got the hallmarks of upthesaddlers right now. The difference is we’re not 18th in the league so I’m struggling to find where it’s justified on here.

Panic, negativity, fear and actually quite anti Vale. Also some jealousy I would throw in there. 

If that’s up your street knock yourself out.

‘In my opinion you need to get a grip’ there you go, for clarity. 

Edited by Jermaine Holwynn

Advert:

This thread gives depression a bad name . A point against a team who are perhaps the toughest to beat in the league. We have had a terrible run of results and injuries, but are now becoming resilient again and hard to beat ourselves.

With creative players due to return , this is a good result. Crap game yes , bad result no. Those slating the manager . Get a grip. Clearly have very short recent memories of what we have endured.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jermaine Holwynn said:

Are they?

This one has got the hallmarks of upthesaddlers right now. The difference is we’re not 18th in the league so I’m struggling to find where it’s justified on here.

Panic, negativity, fear and actually quite anti Vale. Also some jealousy I would throw in there. 

If that’s up your street knock yourself out.

‘In my opinion you need to get a grip’ there you go, for clarity. 

There are not many on here slagging DC off  he’s doing a decent job but people are quite with in there rights to criticise Saturdays performance 

18 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

There are not many on here slagging DC off  he’s doing a decent job but people are quite with in there rights to criticise Saturdays performance 

You read this back and I think you will find plenty slagging DC off actually.

I’m critical of Saturday, just not overly critical because what’s the point?

Like I said originally, feels to me like there was more support for Askey and Aspin in the bottom half of the table then there is for DC just off the playoffs with games in hand.

imo of course, have to caveat everything with that now just so people don’t explain to me what an opinion is every time.

Also as someone above said, disappointing performance yes, disappointing result - not really.

• Like 1