onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Northampton Town

Fosse69

Advert

Some thoughts
We look solid, difficult to break down.
We held our own in a stiff test against a team who are doing well.
Tom Pett was superb in keeping the ball in very tight situations.
Good to see Nathan Smith developing his game as RCB.
Wilson was ineffective.
A tough game, where we often looked stretched, but came through.
I think the two teams cancelled each other out.

Weird comments by DC, in that if he could see we were struggling, why not change it and try something different rather than like-for-like. He could have pulled a CB off, dropped Walker in there and gone 3-4-3 like the other night. 

Teams have done their homework on us. Three men on Worrall today at times,  rendering him largely ineffective; pressing us in midfield forcing us backwards, and so on. 

I think we also need Jones back in the team and I’m afraid Smith might have to be the one to miss out.

1 hour ago, Beech said:

Teams are fully aware that if you stop our two wing-backs, you probably stop us. And we currently don't have Conlon in midfield to help convert one point into three through one piece of brilliance. As decent as Pett is he's no sort of threat going forward. Neither is Walker. Garrity can be but he'll have days like today where he was completely ineffective. 

Today it was pretty clear to see we were crying out for a bit of pace out wide but that never came. After Proctor, Cooper and Amoo should have been the one's coming on. The subs today were really poor by DC. Northampton were every bit as solid and organised as expected, but looked their to be beat.

Spot on! Nullify our wing-backs, and we are pretty helpless. DC got it wrong today. We were crying out for someone who could run with the ball, someone who could make something happen out of nothing. Cooper or Amoo should have come on instead of Charsley or Harratt. 

Conlon and Gibbo, for me, can’t come back soon enough. They just add a different dimension to our side, pretty much like Proctor did this afternoon. They should both 100% walk back into this side. 

I’m not overly disheartened, however. We are unbeaten in 5 and seem to be resolute in defence. We’ve got the games in hand, and have the likes of Gibbo, Conlon and Proctor all edging closer. 

For me, automatic promotion is a very tough ask, but there is no reason why we can’t make the play-offs. 

5 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Weird comments by DC, in that if he could see we were struggling, why not change it and try something different rather than like-for-like. He could have pulled a CB off, dropped Walker in there and gone 3-4-3 like the other night. 

Teams have done their homework on us. Three men on Worrall today at times,  rendering him largely ineffective; pressing us in midfield forcing us backwards, and so on. 

I think we also need Jones back in the team and I’m afraid Smith might have to be the one to miss out.

Obviously I'm guessing, but I think he's still concentrating on bedding the team down, and not ready to take risks against decent opposition.

I think we played Carlisle at a good time, so were able to take more risks.

If we can stay in touch over the next few weeks, we might kick on.

9 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

Spot on! Nullify our wing-backs, and we are pretty helpless. DC got it wrong today. We were crying out for someone who could run with the ball, someone who could make something happen out of nothing. Cooper or Amoo should have come on instead of Charsley or Harratt. 

Conlon and Gibbo, for me, can’t come back soon enough. They just add a different dimension to our side, pretty much like Proctor did this afternoon. They should both 100% walk back into this side. 

I’m not overly disheartened, however. We are unbeaten in 5 and seem to be resolute in defence. We’ve got the games in hand, and have the likes of Gibbo, Conlon and Proctor all edging closer. 

For me, automatic promotion is a very tough ask, but there is no reason why we can’t make the play-offs. 

I just want to see Worrall played in his best position and not somewhere where he can do a job. I don't care what anyone say's, he's being wasted to a large extent. 

There will be games to play the current formation, especially away from home, but at Vale Park it's just negative. We might concede a few more playing with wide players but I don't believe for a moment we won't also create so much more.

Holy

Gibbons   Smith   Hall   Hussey

Conlon   Pett

Worrall                                Cooper

Wilson   Proctor

Obviously this is when the likes of Gibbons and Conlon are back. The midfield might be a bit light but Worrall could always tuck inside when we don't have the ball to almost make it a three just so we don't get over-run their.

Yawn, is it over yet?

In a match where a win would have put us right back in the fight for automatics our illustrious Manager keeps the leash on the players.

A winger coming on who would run at them would have lifted the crowd and got the stadium rocking.

Am I the only one who feels our Owner has supported the push for Promotion magnificently and a talented squad is being held back by a totally negative Manager who talks as if he is managing Barcelona not an English fourth division club.

If there was ever a day to pressure the opposition, get the ball in the box as often as possible, and let the 4th division defenders make mistakes - today was the day!

Very poor game and performance. They had majority of the ball but didn’t hurt us. Thought we lacked any kind of attacking spark all game. No creativity , no midfield man getting on the ball at all is the reason we failed to score (test their keeper much). Also wide men were poor for me when we did get the ball. We can get away with it against scunny and Carlisle but when asked to do it today we came short up massive. Positive is we didn’t lose and the run continues but we need to string three wins on the bounce somehow to seriously get back in the mix for me. Wilson said and also Clarke he’s better in the role behind two strikers so why not play that formation today and let them worry about us? We were at home after all. On to Tranmere now where it’ll be tough but as we know in this awful league if we turn up then we may win. It’s all about on the day in this league. Play offs are tbe aim now. I fancy a day at Wembley anyway. 👍

25 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Teams had sussed this out months ago but we never change it 

2 hours ago, werstayinup said:

We need that little spark,a player who can hold the ball and run with it and take players on....that man is Cooper and i would like to see a little more of him please

Maybe we are keeping him under wraps to snap him up in the summer and avoid a Politic situation 🙂 

Why oh why does DC use the matrix, find a gem, do the business of getting him to the club, to just sit him on the bench. Exciting talents that can change a game just sitting in the bench. First Politic, now Cooper. You can see the decision with Dennis, because I suppose the idea was to build up his minutes. These players just don’t fit the system, but we still get them in.

17 minutes ago, Beech said:

I just want to see Worrall played in his best position and not somewhere where he can do a job. I don't care what anyone say's, he's being wasted to a large extent. 

There will be games to play the current formation, especially away from home, but at Vale Park it's just negative. We might concede a few more playing with wide players but I don't believe for a moment we won't also create so much more.

Holy

Gibbons   Smith   Hall   Hussey

Conlon   Pett

Worrall                                Cooper

Wilson   Proctor

Obviously this is when the likes of Gibbons and Conlon are back. The midfield might be a bit light but Worrall could always tuck inside when we don't have the ball to almost make it a three just so we don't get over-run their.

Same team basically as I would pick, but 433 with Garrity instead of Proctor, and have JP replace Wilson as a sub.

I don’t mind saying I hate the 532. Say we got promoted this season and we retained the core of this team, I get playing 532 in a tougher environment. But why we’re playing it against Hartlepool, Walsall and Harrogate at home I have no clue. We have the team to beat opposition man for man, so make them worry about us in a 433. I suppose DC would argue it’s a 352 when we have the ball, but it’s too much to ask players to sprint up and down the wings all game on their own.

Neither Politic nor Cooper really fit into Plan A as things stand. If we need to change things up off the bench or play a  more attacking formation from the start (eg 3-4-3) then they’re an option.

I’m not sure where we would have put Cooper today without changing the formation. And I don’t think we were prepared to throw that much caution to the wind. 

Archived