• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Northampton Town

Fosse69

8 minutes ago, VantaaVale said:

Exactly. Northampton are the 1-0 kings of L2 this season. They get ahead and shut up shop. Exactly the reason why a "go for it" approach is incorrect against this particular opposition.

Don't think we are in for a good game next week then as Tranmere give away even less than Northampton.  Our safety first negative approach that we showed today I think will be in operation next week and a similar game to what we saw today awaits, hope I am proved wrong.

• Like 2

Advert:

14 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Don't think we are in for a good game next week then as Tranmere give away even less than Northampton.  Our safety first negative approach that we showed today I think will be in operation next week and a similar game to what we saw today awaits, hope I am proved wrong.

Maybe, who knows? Tranmere lost to the mighty Walsall today. Who could have predicted that? Maybe they had the wrong formation, lol.

Walsall, seven straight defeats before today but they somehow managed to suss out Tranmere with a new manager. Incredible. Maybe that's the real secret. Change the manager based on the opposition. Lol

Edited by VantaaVale
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Difference is the opposition style. FGR like to play it out from the back so you can be aggressive and pressure them high up the pitch.

Northampton play percentage balls, back to front very quickly with the long ball. Can’t be aggressive at the top end with a press as they lump it so you have to deal with that threat.

Off the ball we were pretty spot on today, with it though we were poor. Even Hussey wasn’t delivering great set plays today at times.

Issue is by standing that far off them we were never going to score. It’s a risky tactic. They looked half decent on the ball until we got closer to them. Dc was going nuts at times so I’m not sure the players were following the plan. The chance they had game from us backing off. I’m all for stopping how they play, but that severely hampered how we play. We’re a far better side when we’re aggressive and pressuring sides. If the tactic today was to stand off, why start Garrity? That is his game. I think first 25 / 30 we stood off them way too much, and we’re really poor and for me just waiting to lose. He then changed it and we came into the game and essentially nullified it. 

I thought off the ball first 25/30 mins we definitely weren’t at it, after that I don’t disagree but again it’s a case of us trying to win the game or making sure we don’t lose. I just feel we maybe showed them too much respect. 

Agree about on the ball, as bad quality I’ve seen from this side for a while. Hussey’s worst game IMO (and Garrity) 

• Like 2

Without reading the whole thread I thought it was a difficult game today against tough opponents, played in less than ideal conditions, very blustery with what seemed like a prevailing cross wind, so hardly a recipe for free flowing attacking football.  Given the Cobblers record the main thing was not to concede so I felt DC was cautious with team selection and subs.  Edmonson(?) should score with his first half header, but than that it’s yet another game where a poor official has had a big bearing on the outcome.  Good to see Proc back, he makes an obvious difference.

Advert:

They have won their last few games 1 0, they don't let teams play football and sneak a goal. Their boring football game plan worked. We got another point on the board against a team flying high. Onwards and upwards 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Thanks PFVC, that's exactly what I normally do and it always used to work. I live in the US so it may be the BBC don't transmit the sports programme/Praise and Grumble to the US anymore hence I get this rolling verbal message.

Me thinks Praise in Grumble will soon be transmitted by iFollow with a corresponding increase in iFollow subscription.

Have you a VPN? Is it set for USA or UK? When I want to watch a Saturday game I set my VON to France!

Unsure if this helps!

It was a clash of styles and one to move on from. Teams who play football and come at us, like FGR, are nothing to be scared of, as we have good footballers and we can play our own game. It’s these teams that set up to defend that make us look poor because sometimes we lack that creative edge. We can beat Tranmere as it will be more end to end and open. Hopefully no Spearing either.

Not a game to get you out of your seat, unless you were going home!
We faced the latest masters at killing games of football.
We were poor first half, but grew into the game.
We matched them for endeavour and work rate.
No mean feat in itself.
It's easy to see how they're the masters of the 1-0 win.
In some ways I wish I hadn't bothered.
In others, I'm pleased that I saw some serious hard work and guts, in what was a very stern test.
It certainly wasn't pretty though!

• Like 3

Advert:

13 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

A central 3 in midfield of Pett, Garrity and Walker are not the right combination, there's a lack of quality forward passing, guile and creativity to open up a well organized team like Northampton. Tom Conlon is a massive miss and so is Jake Taylor and until Vale get one or both of these players back fit and in the team we're gonna struggle against defensively sound teams.

Most of the chances Vale create are crosses/balls into the box in the air from Worrall and Hussey but there's usually no one good in the air in the box in a Vale shirt.

Holy and Connor Hall looked assured, Worrall's energy and skill are first class and Smith as solid as ever. One point not the end of the world.

Weren't all 3 goals at Carlisle all played from passing moves/balls on the ground 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, andy jones said:

Yawn, is it over yet?

In a match where a win would have put us right back in the fight for automatics our illustrious Manager keeps the leash on the players.

A winger coming on who would run at them would have lifted the crowd and got the stadium rocking.

Am I the only one who feels our Owner has supported the push for Promotion magnificently and a talented squad is being held back by a totally negative Manager who talks as if he is managing Barcelona not an English fourth division club.

If there was ever a day to pressure the opposition, get the ball in the box as often as possible, and let the 4th division defenders make mistakes - today was the day!

Andy, spot on, can’t believe DC has only been here 12 months, it seems like a lifetime. He’s in a privileged position with our owners. Especially when you hear of most managers relationships with the owners.

I actually thought it would be worth walking onto the pitch yesterday, to get a banning order, with a view to prevent myself from attending games. For me it’s similar to a bad romance supporting PVFC. 

Edited by Playa Amodores
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

So all but two of the starting 11 were signed while DC was manager. He picked the team and the formation. He says in his post match interview that we played badly. Who's fault is that? 

He picked the team on Tuesday night and the formation.... I liked your posts on the Carlisle thread.....oh wait

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

A central 3 in midfield of Pett, Garrity and Walker are not the right combination, there's a lack of quality forward passing, guile and creativity to open up a well organized team like Northampton. Tom Conlon is a massive miss and so is Jake Taylor and until Vale get one or both of these players back fit and in the team we're gonna struggle against defensively sound teams.

Most of the chances Vale create are crosses/balls into the box in the air from Worrall and Hussey but there's usually no one good in the air in the box in a Vale shirt.

I know that most Vale fans seem to love crosses going into the box and that defines for them that player having a good game. But hoisting balls into the box is a waste of time  when we have no one capable of battering defenders in the air or if we have no one arriving to pick up the second ball.

One of our best passages of play yesterday was when we got to the byline and cut it back for (Garrity I think) to blaze over. We also scored a good goal like that at Carlisle in the week. I’ve said it many times on here but look back at our play in the first half of the season and how many goals and chances we created or scored by doing that. Conlons threading balls though,  wingbacks or wingers getting to the byline and pulling it back or across goal for someone arriving late or a striker finding space. Hussey may be a steady player but he rarely gets beyond an opposition full back and that makes him easy to defend against and nullify. He has an unbelievable  delivery when given the chance but what’s the point when we don’t have a dominant striker? Plus it means the ball comes back at us quickly too when that’s cleared out. Worrall can be pushed back quite easily if the opposition play on the front foot and for most of the first half that’s what they did yesterday.

We have become quite static in how we play and the key I think is getting Proctor, conlon and Gibbo back as soon as possible. Or we change formation either from the start or during games to allow Worrall more freedom and also to get a left winger on in front of Hussey. But having said all that the  points return has been good this last few games, so maybe the manager has it right.

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 2

He picked the team on Tuesday night and the formation.... I liked your posts on the Carlisle thread.....oh wait
He didn't post then as, according to him, a lot of people have blocked him. Why that only applies after a win/good performance I have no idea
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advert:

15 hours ago, Jermaine Holwynn said:

I'm not analysing a players warm up like you and your pal Jeffers are pre match, I'm either a) in the pub b) getting there at about 2.55pm due to work.

Good on you though, DC and Flitcroft could do with some ageing backwards vale fans on the scouting/coaching team. Sounds like you have a good grasp on how a 20 something year old professional footballer should be performing (whilst warming up) for you.

I'm sure everyone takes on board what you say, that's why you got the likes and recognition for being so engaging?

Are you a people person? Or just a spectator like the rest of us? Spectator with a keyboard is my guess.

Weird to me how you single out one persons warm up despite maybe coaching at lads and dads level, you do you pal.

just an observation youth! utv