onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Northampton Town

Fosse69

Advert

On 14/02/2022 at 09:36, Osh said:

Yet people constantly slag off DC for changing formation too much...??

We've had huge injury problems, its taken Wilson ages to get back to (almost full fitness), Proctor will need 6, 7, 8 or more games to be back to where he was when he got injured, the new players coming in don't just automatically gel.

No, it wasn't pretty BUT a) we didn't lose b) we got (another) point, c) against a team who were favourites to go back up and, d) have been playing well. 

They played a completely different game than FGR and looked happy to sit-in and frustrate. 

On to Tranmere - can't wait.  They're playing well but I think we can out-do them.

KTF and UTV 

But we were happy to sit in and frustrate, despite being the home team, hence the match being an absolute woeful watch. When we did actually try to play a bit of football we looked like we could cause them problems, but we didn't do it anything like enough. We worried far more about what they can do than concentrate on what we can do when we actually play a bit.

But we were happy to sit in and frustrate, despite being the home team, hence the match being an absolute woeful watch. When we did actually try to play a bit of football we looked like we could cause them problems, but we didn't do it anything like enough. We worried far more about what they can do than concentrate on what we can do when we actually play a bit.
I don't think that is right. From DCs post match interview, it's abundantly clear that, for whatever reason, the 11 on the pitch didn't play as DC had intended. If they had, we may have carried a lot more attacking threat. As he said, it's on him to find out why that happened. I don't think it was a simple case of defend at all costs at all

On 16/02/2022 at 20:43, philmpv said:
On 16/02/2022 at 20:15, Beech said:

I don't think that is right. From DCs post match interview, it's abundantly clear that, for whatever reason, the 11 on the pitch didn't play as DC had intended. If they had, we may have carried a lot more attacking threat. As he said, it's on him to find out why that happened. I don't think it was a simple case of defend at all costs at all

I don't either. But he is reponsible for the formation and Northampton would have gone into the game knowing full well that if they stop our two wing-backs from marauding forward then they will go a long, long way into neutralising us. And nobody will ever convince me that Worrall is better off at wing-back. You should play your best players in their best positions.

Playing this 5-3-2 formation at home can suddenly look rather negative if a team does a job on the wing-backs, in my opinion.

Beech, you are correct Worrall is more effective at right wing as he’s getting older and doesn’t have the energy any more to play from back to front down the right side. If you want him to be effective then right wing it is. A similarity between Northampton and Swindon was that their right wingers remained out wide on the touch line throughout the game even when they’d got it at their left back position. Sometimes standing without a Vale player within 20 yards. Then they’d move the ball by passing with ease through midfield in the players direction, but not always utilising them  and going back towards the left. Stretching our defence

Archived