onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Northampton Town

Fosse69

Advert

I'm firmly in the Clarke camp. But he's not exempt from scrutiny without going overboard.  I personally feel we've talked the opposition up before games such as Swindon possession game and Northampton set piece wizardry. 

They should be worrying about us not the other way around. 

My only concern is if we played Northampton today I think we'd approach it exactly the same way as we did yesterday. 

I know all about their capabilities with 15 clean sheets, they also had 5 up them at Swindon .

Unleash the shackles at home, FGR was a joy to watch,  yesterday was slow torture. 

26 minutes ago, For Us All said:

I think this game had a goalless draw written all over it from minute one.Their record of 15 clean sheets from 30 games is very impressive.

Vale had a chance in the 1st couple of minutes in a bit of a goal mouth scramble 

If we could have scored then would have been a completely different game 

2 hours ago, Beech said:

So the correct approach is to have one or two shots on target at home over 90 minutes? And continuing to play one of your best players, a winger, as a wing-back where he often spends more time in his own half than he does getting forward. Gotcha.

Nobody is saying we should be gung-ho from the off or at any point when at home. But you can certainly start games on the front foot, which we never did, and have been doing so less and less this season as it's gone on.

In tight games like they you need someone who can unlock the door with a bit of skill or a killer pass. We don’t have another player other than Woz capable of carrying the ball and providing that moment from midfield. It’s why I really can’t understand why Cooper or/and Amoo where not introduced to try and pull Northampton out of the defensive shape. Very negative from DC.

We are very one dimensional team at the minute and easy to defend against at home.

1 hour ago, MBE said:

In tight games like they you need someone who can unlock the door with a bit of skill or a killer pass. We don’t have another player other than Woz capable of carrying the ball and providing that moment from midfield. It’s why I really can’t understand why Cooper or/and Amoo where not introduced to try and pull Northampton out of the defensive shape. Very negative from DC.

We are very one dimensional team at the minute and easy to defend against at home.

I'd agree with that .

You need be  more imaginative at home the crowd yesterday for a supposedly big game was shocking only 5900 odd so that tells me folk are not unfortunately enjoying the home performances at present .

We set up away the other night the right way the performance reflected in that so why go negative at home v a team who Swindon annihilated. 

Why not start with same team as who won worthy v Carlisle (this there no good doesn't sit with me last season they were up the top end of the league all season ).

I want to be entertained I want us to be firing shots in left right and centre I want see my wide men beating players and driving towards the box the fact we have won no penalties this season is telling in itself .

Cooper needs to start in home games .

He as that quality what will bring people to the  ground and more importantly he as the desire to go around players .

Worrall has being here years his effort his always exceptional but he is replaceable we need more from his side and Husseys side .

Hope they are not using the pitch as a excuse either yes it's poor but same for both teams .

Abysmal yesterday was .

When we play with Smith and Martin at the back defensively there sound but going forwards that first pass is not quick enough or decisive enough Walkers was the other night and I do think playing Walker and Garrity in midfield that they get in one another way defensively there performances are good enough but going forwards Garrity was so much better in Walkers position .

Something for DC think about at the end of the day a points better than nothing but come on we are at home lets run chase  and harry the opposition to death when they have the ball and lets play players who can beat a man cause guess what Darryl Clark if a player gets past his opponent it creates space for another  

Do not bring flair players into the club and use them sparingly .

JOEL COOPER in a word.

Also Amoo scores the other night then doesn't get on .

Laughable .

UTV 

I said before the game that I thought DC would revert back to his 5 at the back, to nullify Northampton’s aerial threat. That’s ok, but when Northampton started to “lose” the second half, time-wasting etc. we then should surely have gone after the win. Instead his subs were all like for like for me. At Carlisle we had 3 up front allowing JW to play the 10 role, yesterday Willo and Ryan were just never together as a pairing, neither looked threatening.

That said, after a miserable day yesterday and a pretty dismal day outside today, just have a look at the facts below.image.png.1a675c517e9c4a94c45274d8d6bcdabe.png

If we can average 2 points a game from the remaining 18 games, 80 points should certainly see us in the play-offs with an outside chance of automatics. We’ve had our bad spell pre-Xmas, now with JP & JW back together I am confident we can do it.

Keep the faith.

I suppose it’s a second division mentally that we can play well in two games then play appalling badly in the next. Yesterday we could not put two passes together a couple of times under no pressure we passed the ball out of touch. Very disappointing from from two fronts the team and fans didn’t turn up ! I think if both teams were still playing it would still be goalless. The main thing to take from this game is a clean sheet and the defence looked very assured. If we don’t improve and get on the front at Tranmere then we will be in trouble.

Just a point. They were a really well organised side who can play cutting football. We saw within the first two or three minutes how quickly they could move from box to box - that kind of threat needs to be nullified, which we did. They were not 3rd for no reason. After tranmere next Saturday we will have played the top 3 within 2 or so weeks and I'm betting non of them will have beaten us. After that we have got Mansfield Exeter and Sutton all at home within 11 days - shed load of points there to completely reshape the play off places. I get that we want to see performances like Carlisle, but equally we have to stop the top teams scoring as they can well shut up shop if they get ahead. Having said all that I agree that against some teams at home it would be wonderful to watch Cooper skinning some hapless wingback before cutting back for big Jamie to bust the net from the edge of the box 😁😁😁👍👍👍

10 hours ago, Dangermouse3 said:

Have you a VPN? Is it set for USA or UK? When I want to watch a Saturday game I set my VON to France!

Unsure if this helps!

Thanks for the reply D3. I don't have a VPN as I've not had a need for one as I have a subscription to iFollow and have just listened to Radio Stoke over the internet. I'm gonna contact Radio Stoke and ask what's going on.

10 hours ago, PV1973 said:

But hoisting balls into the box is a waste of time  when we have no one capable of battering defenders in the air or if we have no one arriving to pick up the second ball.

Couldn't agree more PV and Hussey and Worrall and others put in some superb crosses, unfortunately whilst Proctor has been out there's not been any one to take advantage of them.  I was surprised we didn't sign another experience striker in January (We were one light in August IMHO), one capable of getting on the end of these crosses and to provide cover and competition for Proctor and Wilson. It's a big ask to expect two young players to score the goals that will fire Vale to promo. Hopefully Proctor will stay fit and do the business.

10 hours ago, PV1973 said:

One of our best passages of play yesterday was when we got to the byline and cut it back for (Garrity I think) to blaze over. We also scored a good goal like that at Carlisle in the week. I’ve said it many times on here but look back at our play in the first half of the season and how many goals and chances we created or scored by doing that. Conlons threading balls though,  wingbacks or wingers getting to the byline and pulling it back or across goal for someone arriving late or a striker finding space. Hussey may be a steady player but he rarely gets beyond an opposition full back and that makes him easy to defend against and nullify. He has an unbelievable  delivery when given the chance but what’s the point when we don’t have a dominant striker? Plus it means the ball comes back at us quickly too when that’s cleared out. Worrall can be pushed back quite easily if the opposition play on the front foot and for most of the first half that’s what they did yesterday.

We have become quite static in how we play and the key I think is getting Proctor, conlon and Gibbo back as soon as possible. Or we change formation either from the start or during games to allow Worrall more freedom and also to get a left winger on in front of Hussey. But having said all that the  points return has been good this last few games, so maybe the manager has it right.

It's been real bad luck having the two most creative central midfield players, Conlon and Taylor, out at the same time as it's these types of players most likely to play the key pass behind the full back for Wozz, Hussey or Gibbo when he's fit. I'm not a fan of 3-5-2 but as you say how can you "argue" with it when it's done so well for the Vale although I'm not convinced it suits our squad best as you outline.....but who am I to "argue".

Archived