onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Northampton Town

Fosse69

14 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

So all but two of the starting 11 were signed while DC was manager. He picked the team and the formation. He says in his post match interview that we played badly. Who's fault is that? 

He picked the team on Tuesday night and the formation.... I liked your posts on the Carlisle thread.....oh wait

Advert

14 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

A central 3 in midfield of Pett, Garrity and Walker are not the right combination, there's a lack of quality forward passing, guile and creativity to open up a well organized team like Northampton. Tom Conlon is a massive miss and so is Jake Taylor and until Vale get one or both of these players back fit and in the team we're gonna struggle against defensively sound teams.

Most of the chances Vale create are crosses/balls into the box in the air from Worrall and Hussey but there's usually no one good in the air in the box in a Vale shirt.

I know that most Vale fans seem to love crosses going into the box and that defines for them that player having a good game. But hoisting balls into the box is a waste of time  when we have no one capable of battering defenders in the air or if we have no one arriving to pick up the second ball.

One of our best passages of play yesterday was when we got to the byline and cut it back for (Garrity I think) to blaze over. We also scored a good goal like that at Carlisle in the week. I’ve said it many times on here but look back at our play in the first half of the season and how many goals and chances we created or scored by doing that. Conlons threading balls though,  wingbacks or wingers getting to the byline and pulling it back or across goal for someone arriving late or a striker finding space. Hussey may be a steady player but he rarely gets beyond an opposition full back and that makes him easy to defend against and nullify. He has an unbelievable  delivery when given the chance but what’s the point when we don’t have a dominant striker? Plus it means the ball comes back at us quickly too when that’s cleared out. Worrall can be pushed back quite easily if the opposition play on the front foot and for most of the first half that’s what they did yesterday.

We have become quite static in how we play and the key I think is getting Proctor, conlon and Gibbo back as soon as possible. Or we change formation either from the start or during games to allow Worrall more freedom and also to get a left winger on in front of Hussey. But having said all that the  points return has been good this last few games, so maybe the manager has it right.

15 hours ago, Jermaine Holwynn said:

I'm not analysing a players warm up like you and your pal Jeffers are pre match, I'm either a) in the pub b) getting there at about 2.55pm due to work.

Good on you though, DC and Flitcroft could do with some ageing backwards vale fans on the scouting/coaching team. Sounds like you have a good grasp on how a 20 something year old professional footballer should be performing (whilst warming up) for you.

I'm sure everyone takes on board what you say, that's why you got the likes and recognition for being so engaging?

Are you a people person? Or just a spectator like the rest of us? Spectator with a keyboard is my guess.

Weird to me how you single out one persons warm up despite maybe coaching at lads and dads level, you do you pal.

just an observation youth! utv

I am seriously trying not to post on here as I am aware that my views are different to a lot of people here and despite being considered a wind up merchant I am just a Port Vale fan who doesn't think Clarke is a very good manager. I found it interesting in his post match interview that he said "I am disappointed for my fans" as if we only go to watch Vale because he is manager. I still think he has a massive opinion of his own ability and likes to blame everyone else when it doesn't work out the way he hopes. He has been given more rein to change things at the club than any manager we have had before, only time will tell if he has the ability to match his own opinion of himself, I personally doubt it.

3 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I am seriously trying not to post on here as I am aware that my views are different to a lot of people here and despite being considered a wind up merchant I am just a Port Vale fan who doesn't think Clarke is a very good manager. I found it interesting in his post match interview that he said "I am disappointed for my fans" as if we only go to watch Vale because he is manager. I still think he has a massive opinion of his own ability and likes to blame everyone else when it doesn't work out the way he hopes. He has been given more rein to change things at the club than any manager we have had before, only time will tell if he has thew ability to match his own opinion of himself, I personally doubt it.

He certainly was at fault yesterday with his tactics and team selection he set up to keep it tight and hope for a set piece or a stroke of luck I feel sorry for the fans that paid 22 quid of their hard earned money to watch that sh-te if he plans to play that way at tranmere let us know then no need bother going 

20 hours ago, VantaaVale said:

Exactly. Northampton are the 1-0 kings of L2 this season. They get ahead and shut up shop. Exactly the reason why a "go for it" approach is incorrect against this particular opposition.

So the correct approach is to have one or two shots on target at home over 90 minutes? And continuing to play one of your best players, a winger, as a wing-back where he often spends more time in his own half than he does getting forward. Gotcha.

Nobody is saying we should be gung-ho from the off or at any point when at home. But you can certainly start games on the front foot, which we never did, and have been doing so less and less this season as it's gone on.

22 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I am seriously trying not to post on here as I am aware that my views are different to a lot of people here and despite being considered a wind up merchant I am just a Port Vale fan who doesn't think Clarke is a very good manager. I found it interesting in his post match interview that he said "I am disappointed for my fans" as if we only go to watch Vale because he is manager. I still think he has a massive opinion of his own ability and likes to blame everyone else when it doesn't work out the way he hopes. He has been given more rein to change things at the club than any manager we have had before, only time will tell if he has the ability to match his own opinion of himself, I personally doubt it.

You're bound to be right.

Eventually!

You're just ahead of the game 😉

15 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I think it is a great thing that views on here differ, the forum opens up a space for discussion and reasoned debate. When we went on that 7 or 8 game winning run at the end of last season which saved us from a dreaded relegation battle you were saying Clarke was a bad manager then. When we were sitting second in the table after a couple of months into this season, you were still saying he was a bad acquisition. Seems like you are willing his downfall. Can I ask you, what magical feat would Darrell Clarke have to perform for you to offer any praise in his direction? 

21 minutes ago, Beech said:

So the correct approach is to have one or two shots on target at home over 90 minutes? And continuing to play one of your best players, a winger, as a wing-back where he often spends more time on his own half than he goes getting forward. Gotcha.

I didn't say that though, did I? Listen to Clarke's interview where he sums it up perfectly, saying "when you play as badly as that, make sure you don't lose".

I think it is a great thing that views on here differ, the forum opens up a space for discussion and reasoned debate. When we went on that 7 or 8 game winning run at the end of last season which saved us from a dreaded relegation battle you were saying Clarke was a bad manager then. When we were sitting second in the table after a couple of months into this season, you were still saying he was a bad acquisition. Seems like you are willing his downfall. Can I ask you, what magical feat would Darrell Clarke have to perform for you to offer any praise in his direction? 

Short of resigning, I really don't think that there's anything that DC could do to make RZ give him any credit. He started blarting about how badly DC treated those legends that we released last season, and has had it in for DC ever since

11 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Short of resigning, I really don't think that there's anything that DC could do to make RZ give him any credit. He started blarting about how badly DC treated those legends that we released last season, and has had it in for DC ever since

I am just intrigued as to what it would take, play offs, automatic promotion, champions ? 

Archived