onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Northampton Town

Fosse69

Im.at a loss to explain why a team who are at home do not bring on a player who can go past players .

Seemed like DC was happy with a point .

That's not good enough play to win always bringing players who can take on players creates space for other players .

Walker did well at Carlisle in back 3 as his use of the ball was superb he won every header also so tell me what did Martin do in his position that Walker didn't do tues if anything Walker offers more going the other way  

Play to win .

Northampton are solid fair play to them but Cooper could have ripped them apart,never know because he was left twiddling his thumbs on the bench .

8 points above us though Nah we can play miles better than today I'd say come end of season we will finish above them if Clarke goes for it .

Crowd was a disappointing one 5900 odd .

Everything was flat the crowd the players the tempo  

Marks 

Holy 7 nowt do but what he did do he did well .

Smith 7 

Martin 6

Hall 6 

Hussey 5 

Pett 7.1 best player on the pitch never stopped working 

Garrity 6 if only he connected with that shot properly in second half .

Walker 6 

Wilson 5 

Edmondson 5 

Worrall 5.3

Too many players having off days Hussey should have being substituted Wilson was not affecting the game and Edmondson was not really either .

Worrall runs and runs but never seems get that final ball right ,we kept heading the ball out for throw ins in fact we never strung a sequence of passes together  .

He needs the manager that is change his system at home .

We creating bugger all in some games that is not good enough the 3 up front should have being kept for this game the fact it wasn't allowed Northampton to settle and gain confidence .

Advert

12 minutes ago, Santa said:

Neither Politic nor Cooper really fit into Plan A as things stand. If we need to change things up off the bench or play a  more attacking formation from the start (eg 3-4-3) then they’re an option.

I’m not sure where we would have put Cooper today without changing the formation. And I don’t think we were prepared to throw that much caution to the wind. 

Don't get me wrong had we thrown caution to the wind and been 11 behind then that would of been job done for top 3. But had we gone for it and won then with mainly favourable results elsewhere we'd of been right in the mix.

Feels a missed opportunity to me as we might as well of shaken hands at kick off for an honourable draw 

I want to take a different angle on this. Slate away.

Last time out against Carlisle. A poor team and we dismantled them. Did they "suss us out"? Maybe, but they didn't have the players or confidence to execute anything that could change the result.

Today. Northampton. A team riding high. Did they "suss us out"? Maybe. But they had the confidence and players to make a game of it. Result? Fair. A point each.

I see also too many comments that somehow if we make a substitution that this will be a positive in terms of the result. I do not understand this thought process. I understand the "go for it" approach, but if DC had changed things around and we'd lost, can you imagine the backlash? DC got it right today.

Two good teams today. We got a point. We move on. 

We clearly have been sussed out though. Some homes straight away I can think of when we’ve created absolutely zilch (or near to):

Walsall - absolutely woeful and, dare I say it, one of the worse performances since the Michael Brown era, not a meaningful effort on goal all game.

Swindon - likewise, scored a worldie completely against the run of play, failed to create another chance (admittedly we had 10 men).

FGR - apart from the set piece goal and Wilson’s 30 yarder tipped away by the goalie, nothing created in the 2nd half and conceded a late equaliser.

Carlisle - early doors and the team still gelling, but generally poor with the keeper not tested.

Bradford as well? Didn’t go but wasn’t Wilson gifted a goal but the nothing else happened.

Poor game BUT there were positives. We dealt with their set piece threat very well and defended in the main excellently.

Pitch is not helping us at home at all and I felt we got dragged into their long ball style rather than play our own way.

Referee was abysmal, seemed first half to let them bully us but blow up as soon as we did the same back. Second half he was worse, surely a last man red card? It was far more central and closer than Covolans at their place so the consistency is lacking.

Overall it’s five unbeaten and we would have problem lost a game like that a month ago so progress is being made when we aren’t at it we are getting something still.

Work to be done but may prove a good point in the long term.

Great to see Procs out there today as well, but do think we are missing Conlon a bit in games like today to give something going forward from central midfield.

Big game next week now. Interesting rumours on social media about that one tonight and a certain ex owner sponsoring the game. Stupid if true.

We clearly have been sussed out though. Some homes straight away I can think of when we’ve created absolutely zilch (or near to):
Walsall - absolutely woeful and, dare I say it, one of the worse performances since the Michael Brown era, not a meaningful effort on goal all game.
Swindon - likewise, scored a worldie completely against the run of play, failed to create another chance (admittedly we had 10 men).
FGR - apart from the set piece goal and Wilson’s 30 yarder tipped away by the goalie, nothing created in the 2nd half and conceded a late equaliser.
Carlisle - early doors and the team still gelling, but generally poor with the keeper not tested.
Bradford as well? Didn’t go but wasn’t Wilson gifted a goal but the nothing else happened.

We aren’t going to have games where teams don’t counter us, and agree we need to find other ways around that but the pitch is hindering us big time, we just can’t get the kind of passing going we did say midweek.

28 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Don't get me wrong had we thrown caution to the wind and been 11 behind then that would of been job done for top 3. But had we gone for it and won then with mainly favourable results elsewhere we'd of been right in the mix.

Feels a missed opportunity to me as we might as well of shaken hands at kick off for an honourable draw 

I’m not saying I necessarily agree with how we set up but I can understand the thought process behind it. 

I still do not get how an opposition team can "suss us out" when we have, what? 4,5,6 nailed on first team players out? Explain this to me.

Imo, when we are at full strength, we are the best team in this division. Sometimes we will put an under par performance, e.g. Walsall. But over the season? Think about it.

P46. W46. D 0. L 0. It ain't gonna happen.

On the game -
0-0 was fair. Horrible game like many people have said, but not that disappointed at a point and a clean sheet.

Still games in hand and still all to play for.
I don't think our defence ever looked like conceding, we just needed more organisation up front, which is difficult with the pitch and the weather and how physical and shithousery they were. Couple all that with toss officials. Too many poor games in the midfield, Garrity couldn't find his passing, Pett was battling in there but he wasn't able to find killer passes, Walker the same really.
As someone mentioned, not the best midfield combo in that game - crying out for a Conlon actually I thought.
Think people are being a bit harsh on Edmundson, but still, when fit Proctor an Wilson as two up top surely.
Take a point and move on, can do Tranmere I think, maybe this is the start of their bad run.
Think possibly gave them to much respect and appeared to not press enough and sit of a bit like an away team, another point to our total, roll on Tranmere another tough battle, keep believing up the Vale.

8 hours ago, VantaaVale said:

I still do not get how an opposition team can "suss us out" when we have, what? 4,5,6 nailed on first team players out? Explain this to me.

Imo, when we are at full strength, we are the best team in this division. Sometimes we will put an under par performance, e.g. Walsall. But over the season? Think about it.

P46. W46. D 0. L 0. It ain't gonna happen.

Because we play the same wing-back formation time after time, home or away. It's really not that difficult to figure out.

And you think we are the only team in this division to stick to the same formation. Lol.

This is League Two. Not Champions League. FFS. get real. If it's so f'n easy, take your badges and be the next Guardiola.

Just out of interest. Does anyone on here know how many times Northampton have played the same formation they did against us today? I mean, if they can "suss us out" why can't we do the same? It's not rocket science.

Jeez. the negativity towards our side when we don't win is just mind boggling.

We are a good team, one of the best in this division, which has not had the best of fortune when it comes to being able to play our strongest team this season

There seems to be a few people saying we set up differently at home than away? not sure about that - it's fairly sensible to give some respect to a team above us...it doesn't mean we're playing to not lose, which seems to be popular opinion...just wary of allowing them to play to their strengths. So, anyway - had a look at home / away form, and it's really quite similar:

H:   P 15   W 6   D 5   L 4   F 19   A 13   Pts 23

A:   P 13   W 6   D 3   L 4   F 22   A 16   Pts 21

Against the teams above us, it's fairly vital to not lose, anyway - any positive result means the gap doesn't get stretched, whilst the other teams may get any combination of results. Today, we have closed the gap between us and Tranmere, and can still overtake Newport / Sutton if we win games in hand. We've kept pace with FGR / Northampton / Sutton / Mansfield and Newport.

18 games to play...54 points left!...so many managers would say "we only need around 2 wins for survival"...which is a great position to be in after a few scary seasons! But we've had our bad patch...a few of the teams above us haven't, so I'm hopeful they will start dropping points now we're reaching 2/3 of the season gone. But, regardless - I'm confident of us reaching the playoffs as a minimum! UTV

3 hours ago, Jermaine Holwynn said:

I'm not analysing a players warm up like you and your pal Jeffers are pre match, I'm either a) in the pub b) getting there at about 2.55pm due to work.

Good on you though, DC and Flitcroft could do with some ageing backwards vale fans on the scouting/coaching team. Sounds like you have a good grasp on how a 20 something year old professional footballer should be performing (whilst warming up) for you.

I'm sure everyone takes on board what you say, that's why you got the likes and recognition for being so engaging?

Are you a people person? Or just a spectator like the rest of us? Spectator with a keyboard is my guess.

Weird to me how you single out one persons warm up despite maybe coaching at lads and dads level, you do you pal.

Hahaha!!!

30 minutes ago, VantaaVale said:

And you think we are the only team in this division to stick to the same formation. Lol.

This is League Two. Not Champions League. FFS. get real. If it's so f'n easy, take your badges and be the next Guardiola.

Just out of interest. Does anyone on here know how many times Northampton have played the same formation they did against us today? I mean, if they can "suss us out" why can't we do the same? It's not rocket science.

Jeez. the negativity towards our side when we don't win is just mind boggling.

We are a good team, one of the best in this division, which has not had the best of fortune when it comes to being able to play our strongest team this season

Not hard to swap the formation is it. You don’t have to be pep to play a back 4, pretty damn easy for a league 2 player. Much easier to coach than a back 5. Especially considering we have this squad that can play in different ways (something DC has said numerous times and actually criticised Askey about when he took over, yet like Askey sticks to the same formation).

I don’t think there’s been much negativity to be honest. It was a dire game but we’ve got another point and clean sheet. It’s just that feeling that it was there for the taking if we did something different / had a real go.

532 hasn’t worked at home this season. Countless sides have countered it with easy, sides as poor as barrow and walsall for example. 

Dc can quite easily change to that back 4, he did earlier in the season in games at home and we have come back to win. I’d like to see us try a back 4 at home. We always have an extra man and it’s usually someone like Nathan smith and therefor just wasted. Happy with the back 5 away, the wing backs seem to get more room and we can dominate. 

19 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

There seems to be a few people saying we set up differently at home than away? not sure about that - it's fairly sensible to give some respect to a team above us...it doesn't mean we're playing to not lose, which seems to be popular opinion...just wary of allowing them to play to their strengths. So, anyway - had a look at home / away form, and it's really quite similar:

H:   P 15   W 6   D 5   L 4   F 19   A 13   Pts 23

A:   P 13   W 6   D 3   L 4   F 22   A 16   Pts 21

Against the teams above us, it's fairly vital to not lose, anyway - any positive result means the gap doesn't get stretched, whilst the other teams may get any combination of results. Today, we have closed the gap between us and Tranmere, and can still overtake Newport / Sutton if we win games in hand. We've kept pace with FGR / Northampton / Sutton / Mansfield and Newport.

18 games to play...54 points left!...so many managers would say "we only need around 2 wins for survival"...which is a great position to be in after a few scary seasons! But we've had our bad patch...a few of the teams above us haven't, so I'm hopeful they will start dropping points now we're reaching 2/3 of the season gone. But, regardless - I'm confident of us reaching the playoffs as a minimum! UTV

Most of those home wins have come when we have had to change the formation. Barrow for example. We showed them way too much respect today. Something I don’t understand. We dominated forest Green at home, we were aggressive and gave them no time on the ball, a far better side than Northampton. Yet today stood off as much as possible. 

We’re in a good place, getting players back from injury and I think will get stronger and stronger IF we can keep players fit. I just hope games like this don’t come back to haunt us though as we really didn’t have a go, same as against orient. 

Archived