onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Carlisle United v Port Vale

Fosse69

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

Selected quotes from the CUFC forum. Like being on here!

"Pv are a team we should be picking up points against at home" emoji23.png

"The contrast with PV was obvious.A great little team, patient but full of skill, shape and energy, and they were in the middle of a poor run!Their keeper had a quiet night, keeping warm his biggest problem." emoji38.png

I think they have a pretty good record against us at home, at least in recent memory?

Advert

We were excellent last night. They scored a goal against the run of play and we let them have a 5 minute spell in the second half where they huffed and puffed but produced nowt. Otherwise, it was total control. 

Main positives:

- Hussey is a very good footballer. He's much more than his dead balls. A couple of cross field passes last night were beyond L2 level and on a couple of occasions where he was isolated in the 2nd half he managed to retain possession or win a throw. His game management is also excellent - he was taking a ridiculous amount of time taking corners in the 2nd half when we were protecting a lead. Saw a couple of glimpses of him linking up with Wilson, which is exciting.

- Wilson back to close to his best. They just couldn't live with him in that first half especially. Dropping into the hole, supporting the wing backs, shooting on sight. Got his second wind midway through the 2nd half and drove us onto victory. Such a strong performance deserving of his standing ovation when he came off the pitch.

- Brad Walker looked the real deal at CB. Not only that, but Hall and Smith looked very comfortable next to him. Ok, we'll have stronger tests than last night but how nice was it to have a ball playing centre half. Maybe we have stumbled upon the winning combination there?

- Smiles are back. Amoo was beaming at the end in front of the fans, and DC gave it the big fist pump. The race isn't run for this group. They look very hungry.

Just looking at Div2 highlights Tranmere pressed Swindon and never gave them a minute all there goals came from pressing. Northampton seem to be the king of the 1 nil wins got to be at them from the off. Keep these kind of performances and we should do most sides in this league.

I notice how the likes of RZ and ValePopey are nowhere to be seen again following a great performance and extension of the unbeaten run. Have no issues with them voicing their opinions, at all, but I wish they'd have the bottle/humility to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, the players and management deserve credit at times, like Rob1983 has

2 hours ago, jjvale_03 said:

We were excellent last night. They scored a goal against the run of play and we let them have a 5 minute spell in the second half where they huffed and puffed but produced nowt. Otherwise, it was total control. 

Main positives:

- Hussey is a very good footballer. He's much more than his dead balls. A couple of cross field passes last night were beyond L2 level and on a couple of occasions where he was isolated in the 2nd half he managed to retain possession or win a throw. His game management is also excellent - he was taking a ridiculous amount of time taking corners in the 2nd half when we were protecting a lead. Saw a couple of glimpses of him linking up with Wilson, which is exciting.

- Wilson back to close to his best. They just couldn't live with him in that first half especially. Dropping into the hole, supporting the wing backs, shooting on sight. Got his second wind midway through the 2nd half and drove us onto victory. Such a strong performance deserving of his standing ovation when he came off the pitch.

- Brad Walker looked the real deal at CB. Not only that, but Hall and Smith looked very comfortable next to him. Ok, we'll have stronger tests than last night but how nice was it to have a ball playing centre half. Maybe we have stumbled upon the winning combination there?

- Smiles are back. Amoo was beaming at the end in front of the fans, and DC gave it the big fist pump. The race isn't run for this group. They look very hungry.

I think Wilson suits the supporting role better than out and out striker, he's more of a selfless player than a selfish forward, best example is him laying the ball to Woz last night for the first goal, and with the pressure of scoring off he bags which was an instinctive striker finish (obviously). Since coming back from injury he has ran tirelessly, like having two Garrity's on the pitch and it's the chasing down and putting players under pressure that has really helped the team. He seems fitter now than at any point before his injury this season, I noticed his tracking back and sprinting right up until his sub.

I really liked him sat behind Harratt and Edmonson and as prolific as Proctor was before he was injured, most of his goals, Wilson played a part in. He is vital to this side, I think the biggest challenge Clarke has is keeping him injury free. With Proctor likely to feature in the team soon, it will be interesting to see Wilson and Proctor back up top again.

Carlisle were poor last night, they looked like a team in a relegation fight, but we've struggled against poor teams this season and at home too, but every player stepped up last night. Pett's interceptions and reading of the play was outstanding at times, a real joy to see a Port Vale side play that way and the one touch passing was reassuring that we are getting our confidence back.

I'm not getting carried away, still a long way to go and I've always said to never look past the next game but the next one is a massive one. A huge one, we nullified a rampant Forest Green at VP a couple of weeks back and I still think we were much the better team and should have won. We are now unbeaten in 4 games, the January transfer window looks like it's been a success. Three different goalscorers last night too, but none from our starting strikers, I'm not too concerned by this as they had chances and they will be eyeing Proctor's fitness and will be hungry to stake a claim in the starting lineup.

Also Cooper is filth.

Long way to go

So glad I went last night it was an excellent team performance and joy to experience. Its performances like that, that make the 300 round trip well worth it.  This team will continue to improve and mature and I for 1 can not wait for the next game and the next and so on. With the like of Proctor, Gibbons, Conlon & Jones to still return. Its been a long time since I felt like this (at long last).

2 hours ago, philmpv said:

I notice how the likes of RZ and ValePopey are nowhere to be seen again following a great performance and extension of the unbeaten run. Have no issues with them voicing their opinions, at all, but I wish they'd have the bottle/humility to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, the players and management deserve credit at times, like Rob1983 has

I thought most people had blocked me so I don't bother posting much any more. 

My marks 

Holy 7 no chance with there goal what he had to do he did well kicking good  .

Smith 7 first half struggled against there danger man but second half we never saw him if that was down to Smith that's a excellent contribution from the lad as the way he went past our players first half was a concern especially for there goal .

Had a header from a terrific ball in what he maybe should have scored.

Walker 8 passing superb ,won every header too solid excellent performance he was the first line of attack his passing range most excellent .

Hall 8 class 

Hussey 8.3 unbelievable performance usually players put it in touch or give the ball away after all its league 2 to not give the ball away all night well he was terrific a brilliant addition to the club 👏

Pett 8.9 same as hussey great cog in the Vale team passing forwards intent to win ball ball brilliant M.o.M

Garrity 8 mature great performance big role in win as usual the second goal pivotal the build up play down the left was superb and its is ball in .

Harratt 7 never stopped moving there backline about .

Edmondson 7 great chance score from slide rule pass from Worrall but somehow managed balls it up linked the play well though and held the ball up  

Worrall 7.6 fine finish played well .

Wilson 8.7 set the goal up scored had a header from a Cooper cross which could have gone in but his intelligent play stood out moving the ball side to side a very good display .

Subs Amoo 7.8 scored do him the world of good .

Cooper 11 OK I have given man of match to Pett but this lad had me bouncing involved in Amoo goal and he was harrying there back line and the way he took the ball past 3 players well he will get the railway paddock/stand  rocking he seems like a warrior to me but is go for it skill level is major pleasing on what I saw with my own eyes last night .

Joel Cooper is going be a very good one for Vale .

UTV 

25 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

My marks 

Holy 7 no chance with there goal what he had to do he did well kicking good  .

Smith 7 first half struggled against there danger man but second half we never saw him if that was down to Smith that's a excellent contribution from the lad as the way he went past our players first half was a concern especially for there goal .

Had a header from a terrific ball in what he maybe should have scored.

Walker 8 passing superb ,won every header too solid excellent performance he was the first line of attack his passing range most excellent .

Hall 8 class 

Hussey 8.3 unbelievable performance usually players put it in touch or give the ball away after all its league 2 to not give the ball away all night well he was terrific a brilliant addition to the club 👏

Pett 8.9 same as hussey great cog in the Vale team passing forwards intent to win ball ball brilliant M.o.M

Garrity 8 mature great performance big role in win as usual the second goal pivotal the build up play down the left was superb and its is ball in .

Harratt 7 never stopped moving there backline about .

Edmondson 7 great chance score from slide rule pass from Worrall but somehow managed balls it up linked the play well though and held the ball up  

Worrall 7.6 fine finish played well .

Wilson 8.7 set the goal up scored had a header from a Cooper cross which could have gone in but his intelligent play stood out moving the ball side to side a very good display .

Subs Amoo 7.8 scored do him the world of good .

Cooper 11 OK I have given man of match to Pett but this lad had me bouncing involved in Amoo goal and he was harrying there back line and the way he took the ball past 3 players well he will get the railway paddock/stand  rocking he seems like a warrior to me but is go for it skill level is major pleasing on what I saw with my own eyes last night .

Joel Cooper is going be a very good one for Vale .

UTV 

Decimal points now! Love it! Always look forward to a breadwinner review/team selection

UTV 

We looked far better balanced with three attacking options on the pitch. I hope we show the same bold intent against better sides to see whether we can maintain the standard.

Also made a huge difference having someone in the back 3 who wasn’t afraid to put their foot on the ball and play. Thought Walker was superb.

18 hours ago, saintvaliant said:

We looked far better balanced with three attacking options on the pitch. I hope we show the same bold intent against better sides to see whether we can maintain the standard.

Also made a huge difference having someone in the back 3 who wasn’t afraid to put their foot on the ball and play. Thought Walker was superb.

With Hall and Walker in a back 3, we have 2 ball playing centre backs. Can't ever remember that in a Vale side.

Archived