onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Salford City v Port Vale Postponed

Fosse69

Was in a pub about a mile from the ground when it was called off. The landlord couldn't believe it but he told me that the groundsman drinks in the pub and he knows he's on holiday for a fortnight. Might be a typical pub story but interesting. 

Advert

Loads posted on Facebook and not quite as much on here about the postponement.

Apart from their pitch being poor not sure how the outcome could have been different.

Piddled down from about 10.45 so nearly 3 hours, the ref arrives 2 hours before kick off and makes an instant decision?

Fans were always going to be either already there as we were or within a few miles of the ground.

When you think of any of the other 22 grounds we could have been at it could have been a whole lot worse....

So out and about till 14.00 then get a text off me lad game off I'm thinking wtf doing a pitch inspection at 13.30 with 1400 Vale fans already there .

That is not good .

Hope the travelling fans have had a good day .

Think all 1400 should be getting free travel off Salford for rearranged game that or forfeit 0 -3 defeat for them .

Only right 

They announced at around 1.15 that there was going to be a pitch inspection at half past. It was surely already a foregone conclusion. I’m certain they didn’t actually do a pitch inspection when they said they were, because the game was called off at 1.30 on the dot.

37 minutes ago, Santa said:

They announced at around 1.15 that there was going to be a pitch inspection at half past. It was surely already a foregone conclusion. I’m certain they didn’t actually do a pitch inspection when they said they were, because the game was called off at 1.30 on the dot.

They obviously factored in the fact that it was going to rain all afternoon, which would have meant the game would be postponed. In hindsight it was the right decision. The officials would have known this before 1.30, so should have an inspection before 12.00. Just glad it wasn’t a game at Exeter or the one at Carlisle on Tuesday. Lack of planning by officials.

1 hour ago, valefan79 said:

Wondering if the game is likely to be played the 15th February, other than this date and 8th March, we have no available Tuesday until the last Tuesday in March.  I don't think we can risk putting in April incase of any bad weather in the coming weeks and having more games off.

Thank you for taking the time to check out available dates. Either of those and I’ll have to return my ticket .

59 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

So out and about till 14.00 then get a text off me lad game off I'm thinking wtf doing a pitch inspection at 13.30 with 1400 Vale fans already there .

That is not good .

Hope the travelling fans have had a good day .

Think all 1400 should be getting free travel off Salford for rearranged game that or forfeit 0 -3 defeat for them .

Only right 

Bread, so does it include everyone that travelled or just those that travelled with PVFC travel.?

2 hours ago, Santa said:

They did a pitch inspection but it didn’t take long!

18 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

They did a pitch inspection but it didn’t take long!

Salford’s Twitter account announced the postponement at 1.29 - the pitch may have been inspected but it didn’t happen at 1.30.

I’m sure the decision was done and dusted by the time when both teams announced there was going to be a pitch inspection 15 minutes earlier.

9 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

So not Paul’s fun bus?  I think that should be declared official Vale travel in this case. 

It should be all the support it's not like 158 away travellers have travelled it was 1400 folk ok its only 8 pounds return on train according to someone that's irrelevant all Vale fans who have gone today by Coach whether that's official or not or car or coach deserve there travel paid for rearranged game if it was called off at 10 a.m fair enough but 13.30 you gotta be kidding me that's terrible I'd be really annoyed not everyone who goes watch Vale goes for the ten pints pre match I've read some fella travelled from Northampton watch the Vale today .

Have a bit of respect Salford can put free coach travel on for not calling the game of at a respectable time one hopes .

I'd be well titsed if I had travelled up from Cornwall watch the Vale and I know a lad who did and it was called off .

Shocking 

1 hour ago, Santa said:

Salford’s Twitter account announced the postponement at 1.29 - the pitch may have been inspected but it didn’t happen at 1.30.

I’m sure the decision was done and dusted by the time when both teams announced there was going to be a pitch inspection 15 minutes earlier.

So the question is if they can call it off so quickly why was it not done earlier ?  What was the groundsman doing ? They must have known at 11am that game was not going ahead.

Why was it not done earlier? Unless there was no rain between 11am and 1.30pm then the situation is in the lap of the weather gods. I went to Burnley in the 90's, it was calle doff off late in the second half when we were 2-1 up. A match at Vale Park v Swindon was called off in the early 200's at 2.30pm for a frozen pitch. At least it was a short trip for Vale fans. These things happen. Credit to Neville for making an effort. 

Archived