onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Promotion points required

philmpv

So, what are we thinking in terms of points required to get either automatic or into the playoffs? Looking at the table as it stands, I reckon anything 80+ will give us a very good chance of automatic, and 71+ for the last playoff place. So I think we need to win at least 10 of our last 20 games to have any chance of the playoffs, and 12 or more for automatic (with a few draws thrown in). Certainly achievable but difficult?

Advert

80 wouldn't get you up in 4 of the last 6 full seasons. Only the last two have had lower promotion totals (79) - the 4 before that were all 84/85. Average is 83.

To get 43 points out of the next 20 games when we've currently got 40 from 26 is a massive ask, and I don't think it'll happen. We can only drop 17 points - we'd need to win 14ish out of 20.

Guaranteed promotion form is 2 points a game only FGR are doing that. With our 20 games left that would give us 80, getting close if we beat the other contenders. But as DC says game at a time, go out to win. Who knows we go up or have a stronger base for next season. Can't beat the disappointment of 89 points and losing to the Baggies in the PO final.

Going PPG at the moment 73/74 for the play offs so another 33/34 points so 9/10 wins plus a few draws.

Autos are tracking at about 80 points so another 40 which is 12/13 wins and a few draws.

Up until January we were winning 1 game in 2 so if we can hit that form again we should get play offs.

If we split the season in 2 halves in the first 3 games of the 2nd half we are 3 points better off than we were in the first half…

12 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Guaranteed promotion form is 2 points a game only FGR are doing that. With our 20 games left that would give us 80, getting close if we beat the other contenders. But as DC says game at a time, go out to win. Who knows we go up or have a stronger base for next season. Can't beat the disappointment of 89 points and losing to the Baggies in the PO final.

29 years later and I'm no closer to understanding why 25,000 people went to watch Vale at Wembley for the Autoglass Trophy and barely 10,000 went for the one that really mattered a week later. 

2 hours ago, smithie said:

29 years later and I'm no closer to understanding why 25,000 people went to watch Vale at Wembley for the Autoglass Trophy and barely 10,000 went for the one that really mattered a week later. 

I had our family holiday booked for the date of the Auto glass final , never expecting us to get there. We did and after much grovelling got my wife to agree to us moving our holiday back a week, after all we would never get to Wembley again.

We did of course , a week later as you said for the play offs. I cautiously raised the prospect of moving our family holiday again. I was offered 2 options . After much consideration and the fact I am still married , you can imagine the option I chose. We went on holiday.

Not sure why the other 14,999 didnt attend.

27 minutes ago, smithie said:

Everyone had already got their tickets for the Autoglass before it was known we'd be in the play off final. People weren't going to go down twice in a week - even though I totally agree that the 2nd game was a million miles more important than the first. I believe it's why they changed the final of the EFL Trophy to prevent it 'clashing' with the PO's like it did for us?

Above all else I believe our squad is stronger than others and I expect us to go on a winning run (if injury free) 

We simply have to win three on the bounce starting Saturday and the momentum will see us into automatics 

Really pleased that our two loan strikers have opened their accounts.

Just wish we had Captain Tom back from injury. He is a huge loss.

1 hour ago, The man in the pub said:

I had our family holiday booked for the date of the Auto glass final , never expecting us to get there. We did and after much grovelling got my wife to agree to us moving our holiday back a week, after all we would never get to Wembley again.

We did of course , a week later as you said for the play offs. I cautiously raised the prospect of moving our family holiday again. I was offered 2 options . After much consideration and the fact I am still married , you can imagine the option I chose.

Not sure why the other 14,999 didnt attend.

I'm not letting this lie. 14,999 people owe me an explanation. 

1 hour ago, jjvale_03 said:

Everyone had already got their tickets for the Autoglass before it was known we'd be in the play off final. People weren't going to go down twice in a week - even though I totally agree that the 2nd game was a million miles more important than the first. I believe it's why they changed the final of the EFL Trophy to prevent it 'clashing' with the PO's like it did for us?

Seems to be the likely explanation. At the time I worked part of the week in Wolverhampton, for the Auto Glass a Stoke fan there organized a coach trip as a day out at Wembley say a 40 boost. Whereas for the PO I picked up a couple of tickets for a Baggies fan after they had sold out so boosting the Vale numbers. That is my micro view.

56 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Above all else I believe our squad is stronger than others and I expect us to go on a winning run (if injury free) 

We simply have to win three on the bounce starting Saturday and the momentum will see us into automatics 

Really pleased that our two loan strikers have opened their accounts.

Just wish we had Captain Tom back from injury. He is a huge loss.

In the POs at the end of Feb would put us in a strong position. Need draws at least against  the  Cobblers and Tranmere 6 pointers.

Three wins on the bounce for any side in the top ten and the table will look a whole lot different for that side. We’ve had 5 good points in the last three games so the Salford game is huge now. Win that and it’s the average two points a game starting to come back which would be fantastic. Trouble is when you’re chasing soon as you lose one you’re back to square one and confidence is knocked. Salford we’re not a good side up here the other week so how we played last night, if we have a good day and create a few more chances we’ve got a good chance of getting a win. We really need to come out of these next 6 games in February inside the play offs. Then it’ll be a great last few months. 

Archived