onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The pitch

mr.hobblesworth

32 minutes ago, Santa said:

Questions are: how deep would we have to dig? How much would it cost? Is it achievable inside a two month window during the close season?

In terms of cost, I don’t think anyone would want to quote us until they find out just what it is that they’re dealing with. There would probably have to be some sort of test drilling or something. 

Could play all our August matches away to give an extra month or play on nearby league grounds?

Advert

With clearing out the deadwood, then the new reinforcements in this transfer window, I'd suggest this summer's close season won't need to see such massive investment in new players...even if we get promotion, i think many of this squad will do ok in Lge 1, for a season...different loan players, probably, but not such a massive turnover? So, could, possibly, divert some funds towards the new pitch which would be more of an investment than a burden! Either postpone the RW concert, or ringfence some cash towards summer close season 2023...slightly earlier if we have away games at the end of the season. I started to read an article about Real Madrid's top-rated pitch guy - a Brit - who's implemented or about to implement a new way of growing pitches which will allow RM to utilise the ground for more of the year, and may earn up to £100 million  / year extra? Can't remember where I saw the article though - but this is it, in less detail:  

12 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

Add on to it the Railway roof , new Scoreboard etc and then there’s some cost. I’ve not noticed it being bad recently as the wind has taken over the game 

Get an abacus and some umbrellas. Save the money for a playable surface.

7 hours ago, Doha said:

The pitch at VP has an area of about 9300 m2.

Sand weighs about 1600kg per m3. Swansea have a 1m deep layer for good drainage. 

Be a few trips to the Jewsons warehouse that will.

Free delivery over £35.

With clearing out the deadwood, then the new reinforcements in this transfer window, I'd suggest this summer's close season won't need to see such massive investment in new players...even if we get promotion, i think many of this squad will do ok in Lge 1, for a season...different loan players, probably, but not such a massive turnover? So, could, possibly, divert some funds towards the new pitch which would be more of an investment than a burden! Either postpone the RW concert, or ringfence some cash towards summer close season 2023...slightly earlier if we have away games at the end of the season. I started to read an article about Real Madrid's top-rated pitch guy - a Brit - who's implemented or about to implement a new way of growing pitches which will allow RM to utilise the ground for more of the year, and may earn up to £100 million  / year extra? Can't remember where I saw the article though - but this is it, in less detail:  
AVvXsEjWm8Q4pMu7Ka1YQZLKZerhRoqWOaxmqOVe4chOH2s2zkwabwqgbzY-hT56n6docsyRMrxZUSp7mUSyJeQAjqs2wjgqFgcy5IGmWvEHiZ8qdscubUY5ncznxAbFPhNr527emZ73Ghu2-6sqPODJ7zwliBlNUwu32TmvZB15Rr30UhzmbL1hhQ0OqdzhPQ=s1000 WWW.FOOTYHEADLINES.COM  
Does it cope with mine shafts?

5 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:
34 minutes ago, LancyTony said:
AVvXsEjWm8Q4pMu7Ka1YQZLKZerhRoqWOaxmqOVe4chOH2s2zkwabwqgbzY-hT56n6docsyRMrxZUSp7mUSyJeQAjqs2wjgqFgcy5IGmWvEHiZ8qdscubUY5ncznxAbFPhNr527emZ73Ghu2-6sqPODJ7zwliBlNUwu32TmvZB15Rr30UhzmbL1hhQ0OqdzhPQ=s1000 WWW.FOOTYHEADLINES.COM  

Does it cope with mine shafts?

Hahaha...I'm not trying to suggest we go to this extreme...just showing how advanced pitch technology is, nowadays. Ours has been down for some years, now, and the numbers of injuries are steadily creeping up...if our pitch is so heavy it takes longer to recover from, but players don't get extra time to recuperate, I'd suggest that would lead to the increase in injuries? In which case, sorting a new  one out must be a priority? Who knows how many points it might have cost us...and how much in player sales? 

10 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

Swindon didn't look to bad on our pub pitch or Brentford a few weeks back. Clarke just looking for excuses he's feeling the heat.

I can see what some of the posters are saying about our main pitch and injuries.  Away teams only have to play on it once a season.  Could it be a mixture of the heavy training pitch (DC has mentioned that is heavy as well) and the matches on the main pitch could be taking its toll on muscles and causing injuries.  The controlling of the ball due to divots - well its the same for both teams, so is it down to our players not coping as well with these during the match.

A new pitch would be nice, but is there money in the pot and are there still grants to help lay a new pitch in time for the new season?

Relaying the pitch is relatively easy and has probably been done a few times since the 50s. But the major problem is the base and it drainage. No doubt in the long list of stadium jobs, it may well be that a proper training pitch will give earlier avoidance of excessive physical strain on the players.

I've been watching the big match revisited on ITV4 recently. This week it ha been showing games from December 1976. Yesterday was Arsenal v Man Utd played on a paddy field at Highbury. Tuesday was Chelsea v Wolves played on a pitch that was a skating rink on one side and a bog on the other wing with a sand pit down the middle. Vale Park in its current state is like playing on a carpet to what those teams had to contend with back then. 

I may be stirring the hornet's nest here but I often wonder whether 3G is the answer...

It's used in the National League and seems to be very popular - indeed the clubs that have used it (such as Sutton and Harrogate) have been really reluctant to remove it when they have got League status. 

I think that's because there's fewer cancellations with 3G (as they don't get waterlogged) and as they are hard-wearing it opens up lots of revenue saving things (e.g. you can train on the main pitch / you can have concerts without it cutting up / you can have another teams playing on it without it being ruined).

Here's a quote from an article on Sutton when they had to replace the pitch just showing how useful it was to them as a club:

--

The loss of the artificial pitch will be felt by a host of other sides.

Sutton's academy, three women's and nine girls' teams and three disability sides all made use of the surface.

The pitch at Gander Green Lane was used seven days a week and was available to hire, providing valuable income for the south London club.

"From the point of view of our community setup, it means there are a lot of sides displaced as a consequence," Barry said.

"It is a major factor for us, but we knew what would happen if we were successful on the pitch.

"The usage of the surface will be very reduced.

"We are a community club and are working really hard to rehouse those over the summer. That is going to be a challenge for us."

--

I know one of the arguments will be that "it's not the same as grass" but I think we've advanced a long way from the QPR pitch of the 80's. 

For me, with clubs having to be money conscious it seems that going the 3G route may be a lot more of a money saver (and actually a money generator) but then again I've never played football at a decent level so perhaps the playing disadvantages of 3G outweigh the other benefits and it may be a break from tradition too far for some.

Archived