• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

Fosse69

very pleased Martin is showing what he is capable of... I thought he was being scapegoated earlier this season.

We now have a sound defence and thats without Jones who might struggle to get back in.

The competition for places in defence and midfield when the injured players come back is going to be like nothing I can remember at Vale. 

• Like 5

Advert:

13 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Yeah, he was definitely offside. Martin deserves some credit too, we were under a lot of pressure before Wilson knocked the ball long, Martin steps up when a ball comes into Stevens and he gets his boot on it to prod to Wilson, he also pushed Stevens wide just before that too.

Martin has looked calm and assured in the past three games. He looks like the player that Exeter fans were raving about. I’ve got nothing against him continuing in that position. 

The back 3, however, is one that should be up for debate: 

We look a lot better defensively with Smith-Martin-Hall. 

We looked better offensively with Cass-Smith-Jones

What would people prefer - a more solid back three or a back three which plays better offensively and contributes to us potentially scoring a lot more goals?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

Once again, I’ve got something extra from Clarke’s post match interview. Good as we were, high energy, solid etc, we’ve played better in terms of first touch and passing. Wilson is excellent for an hour, Eddy great endeavour and the more he plays the more he’ll maintain hos touch for 90 minutes as it wasn’t quite what it might become. Pett is quality, probably the best footballer at the club (Wilson might vie for that) you get composure and experience… I’d persist with him while he works through an indifferent period and integrating better with Walker and Garrity. Martin is getting right up there now and Smith is getting back to what we expect, Hall and Hussey look great additions. IF we can maintain the intensity the quality will come back but none of this ‘after the lord mayor’s show’ performances please lads.

big paragraph there - not sure but it might have said something positive about Martin, but I could be mistaken 😁 

seriously, I couldnt agree more with Valiant62 - thought he was great myself last night 

4 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

Martin has looked calm and assured in the past three games. He looks like the player that Exeter fans were raving about. I’ve got nothing against him continuing in that position. 

The back 3, however, is one that should be up for debate: 

We look a lot better defensively with Smith-Martin-Hall. 

We looked better offensively with Cass-Smith-Jones

What would people prefer - a more solid back three or a back three which plays better offensively and contributes to us potentially scoring a lot more goals?

Well obvs Cass is out now, but for me I prefer a solid defence and nicking the odd goal winner at this point. But do love to watch a Dan Jones 60 yard crossfield pass

sacrilege - but maybe Martin/Hall/Jones for the odd match? (just to rest Smith, as I think he has been brilliant)

Well obvs Cass is out now, but for me I prefer a solid defence and nicking the odd goal winner at this point. But do love to watch a Dan Jones 60 yard crossfield pass
sacrilege - but maybe Martin/Hall/Jones for the odd match? (just to rest Smith, as I think he has been brilliant)
Me too. After all, if you can consistently keep clean sheets, then points are guaranteed however you do at the other end. Now that we can score from set pieces, we'll always have a chance of a goal too. We can always change it up and take more risks if we go behind. Not doing Tranmere any harm
  • Like 2

Advert:

Smith Martin and hall are doing really well, I too would like to see Jones back in the 11 though, Jones is great going forward and until the last couple of games he player was fantastic. It’s just who missed out? I think if DC is stuck on 352 or 3 centre halves then possibly at home against ‘weaker’ sides it may make sense to bring Jones in as he’s better at bringing the ball out than Smith and then Smith against stronger sides? It’s hard to drop any of that back 3 at the minute I just personally really rate Jones 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

For every 60 yard Crossfield pass that finds worral there are two that dont and give possession away. DJ will have to wait his turn imo.

Edited by Stockleys_socks

36 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

We aren’t guaranteed clean sheets with this back three. So, do you gamble with a more offensive defence? We did well in first quarter with an offensive back line. I think it’s a tough one.

• Like 1

Think we took a lot out of FGR last night.

Unfortunately that may work against us as FGR are playing Newport on Saturday who are currently 3rd and will probably beat a tired FGR.

Its sods law that we have spiked the FGR bubble for everyone else's benefit and not got the 3pts ourselves.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

big paragraph there - not sure but it might have said something positive about Martin, but I could be mistaken 😁 

seriously, I couldnt agree more with Valiant62 - thought he was great myself last night 

God forbid I say anything positive about the designated scapegoat but he may be losing that tag, so if anyone could let me know who to start slating now, I’ll get right on to it! 😹

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Advert:

God forbid I say anything positive about the designated scapegoat but he may be losing that tag, so if anyone could let me know who to start slating now, I’ll get right on to it!
The way the threads have gone over the past couple of weeks, my money's on Holy or Pett
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

God forbid I say anything positive about the designated scapegoat but he may be losing that tag, so if anyone could let me know who to start slating now, I’ll get right on to it! 😹

Will get a list going 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

Did Dangermouse enjoy and get back home OK?

I got caught on M6 junction 15, sat there 30 minutes then when started up again had to leave M6 at j14 to travel through Stafford so got home "late."  I took my Baggies mate to the game and he thoroughly enjoyed it saying we were the better team overall and if FGR are running away with Division then we surely are not that far off. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

In two games against us FGR have managed three shots on target. How on earth are they 19 points ahead of us?

Simple. They’ve not been hit with a ridiculous long term injuries to key players. 

• Like 4

Advert:

2 hours ago, onestepatatime said:

Did Dangermouse enjoy and get back home OK?

I got caught on M6 junction 15, sat there 30 minutes then when started up again had to leave M6 at j14 to travel through Stafford so got home "late."  I took my Baggies mate to the game and he thoroughly enjoyed it saying we were the better team overall and if FGR are running away with Division then we surely are not that far off. 

Thank you onestepstatime! Staying with my son till Saturday morning as my granddaughter is 18 today!

Did enjoy the match and fully participated in the atmosphere. A little gruff today!!

Will report on my journey home in a Salford thread after we beat them!!😃

19 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Garrity who’s chased literally everything all game infact all season? 

They couldn't have a go at Martin or Hussey,the usual targets but they have to choose someone moan about during what was an excellent performance by Vale last night...taking 4 points off a team that look clear champions.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

They couldn't have a go at Martin or Hussey,the usual targets but they have to choose someone moan about during what was an excellent performance by Vale last night...taking 4 points off a team that look clear champions.

Anybody genuinely moaning at any player last night should seriously consider following a different sport.  Were we perfect, no, certainly not, but every player put a shift in and contributed to a great overall team performance against the team currently at the top of the table who in their previous fixture hammered their closest rivals.

We were a gnats cock away from winning the game.  What can’t folk see?

• Like 5