onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

Fosse69

Advert

Best 45 mins of the season, possibly best all-round performance of the season taking into account the opposition.

Everyone hungry on and off the pitch. Atmosphere sounded excellent on the stream. FGR were totally rattled by it.

A turning point in the season. Top 7 is there if we want it with this squad of players. Let's avenge that Salford defeat on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Breadwinner said:

Fans were like there was ten thousand in .

You have to remember they thrashed Tranmere but I never felt at any point that they were going get anything out of last nights game the fact they did shows what a excellent side they are .

Credit to them as for Vale here are my marks .

Holy 6 nothing do but what he did do generally OK I'd have to look at there goal I feel you gotta be on your toes catching everything at that height when set pieces are coming in he should be dominating his box should he have being out catching the ball .

Smith 8 did Matt do much not really and that was down to Smith very good game .

Martin 7.9 tremendous he also had a excellent game .

Hall 7.5 

Hussey 7.6 first half balls in brilliant tidy performance all round  

Garrity 7.9 love this player first half he was everywhere second half he was probably knackered but still putting himself about he deserves a goal every game .

Pett 7 loose at times in possession but still gets in there and wins ball back for Vale .

Walker 7.2 bit sloppy second half ,fights for everything the ball be won he wins it I quite like him needs to work on his passing though as at times he gives it away cheaply .

Wilson 7.9 shame his shot didn't go in very good game mostly but felt we needed more from him second half .

A goal would do him the world of good .

Edmondson 7.8 catalyst for everything good about Vale shame his first attempt didn't fly in goalie saved well scored and generally put a very good display in .

Worrall 7 a frustrating player is Worrall I'd say we need more dynamism in his position after 60 mins in games .

Subs Charlsley I'd have brought him on sooner 85th minute too late  he should have being brought on at half time for one of the 3 midfield .

Fans 10 

UTV 

Says it all Breadwinner when most of  the team are all picking up scores of 7+. OK we didnt win but put the effort in and the fans appreciate it. Thats why Gibbo and Wozza are firm favourites. All we ask is for the players to  perform at that level every week and the wins will follow.

36 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

In two games against us FGR have managed three shots on target. How on earth are they 19 points ahead of us?

No doubt that we've got the better of them this season but overall I think the main difference is up front.FGR have already won 6 games more than us and if you've got two strikers with over 30 goals between them I think you are on the right track?

We must be doing something right if we can restrict Matt and Stevens.

1 hour ago, Portvale4 said:

Frustrating result yesterday but, as many have said, I would have taken a point beforehand. 

First half was fantastic. Garrity, Edmundson and Wilson harrying their defence into mistakes and it worked. Unlucky not to have gone into the break two up. Best half I’ve seen in months which is very promising, considering we are missing Conlon and Gibbo.

The second half was always going to be difficult. They are top of the league and unbeaten since September, and they showed flashes of quality in the opening 20 minutes - Vale did well to keep them out. From there, I genuinely thought we’d go onto a scrape a 1-0, so I was very disappointed when we conceded from a sloppy corner.

Harsh to criticise anyone after last night, but I will. What did everyone make of Tom Pett? I thought he was very sloppy possession and hasn’t quite looked himself since the break. I could be being harsh, I know, but I’d be tempted to give Charsley a start on Saturday alongside Garrity and Walker. 

Also, I hope last nights performance shushed the recruitment doubters. How anybody can’t see the improvement in quality is astonishing. Yeah, making 8 changes in January isn’t ideal, but some were forced and the majority done for the improvement of the squad in general. 

Edmundson > Lloyd - He did more last night than Lloyd did in months. 

Hall > Legge - Enough said. What a signing! 

Hussey - Different type of player to Gibbo but, as a whole, he will no doubt I’m prove this squad. It will enable Gibbo to return to the right. Hussey is improving game by game. 

Holy - He looks assured and has a decent kick. Jury is still out for sure, but Stone and Cov didn’t exactly set the world alight. 

Charsley > Burgess, Whitehead - I no doubt believe this. 

Harratt > Rodney - On the basis of this season, no doubt. 

Cooper - The jury is out, as I really liked Dennis. We shall see. 

Robinson - It was enforced, but he comes with a good pedigree.

All in all, I was very pleased last night and we saw signs of the old Vale under Clarke. Recruitment looks promising. 20 games to play, there is no reason why we still can’t get autos - 7 points off with two games in hand. Play-offs 100% achievable, and I think we will make them at the very least. 

Re Pett, im not one to criticise as there's enough of that on here as it is, but Tom has tended to be a bit sloppy in his passing these last few games - probably noticeable because usually he is so precise.

To me its noticeable also that the lack of goals conceded is with a team that includes the Walker/Hall/Hussey combination - NICE 😁👍

Once again, I’ve got something extra from Clarke’s post match interview. Good as we were, high energy, solid etc, we’ve played better in terms of first touch and passing. Wilson is excellent for an hour, Eddy great endeavour and the more he plays the more he’ll maintain hos touch for 90 minutes as it wasn’t quite what it might become. Pett is quality, probably the best footballer at the club (Wilson might vie for that) you get composure and experience… I’d persist with him while he works through an indifferent period and integrating better with Walker and Garrity. Martin is getting right up there now and Smith is getting back to what we expect, Hall and Hussey look great additions. IF we can maintain the intensity the quality will come back but none of this ‘after the lord mayor’s show’ performances please lads.

32 minutes ago, Powerline said:

I sit in line with the halfway line in the railway stand, he was 100% offside.

Yeah, he was definitely offside. Martin deserves some credit too, we were under a lot of pressure before Wilson knocked the ball long, Martin steps up when a ball comes into Stevens and he gets his boot on it to prod to Wilson, he also pushed Stevens wide just before that too.

Yeah, he was definitely offside. Martin deserves some credit too, we were under a lot of pressure before Wilson knocked the ball long, Martin steps up when a ball comes into Stevens and he gets his boot on it to prod to Wilson, he also pushed Stevens wide just before that too.
You would think some players need a run of games before showing what they can actually do. Ridiculous

very pleased Martin is showing what he is capable of... I thought he was being scapegoated earlier this season.

We now have a sound defence and thats without Jones who might struggle to get back in.

The competition for places in defence and midfield when the injured players come back is going to be like nothing I can remember at Vale. 

13 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Martin has looked calm and assured in the past three games. He looks like the player that Exeter fans were raving about. I’ve got nothing against him continuing in that position. 

The back 3, however, is one that should be up for debate: 

We look a lot better defensively with Smith-Martin-Hall. 

We looked better offensively with Cass-Smith-Jones

What would people prefer - a more solid back three or a back three which plays better offensively and contributes to us potentially scoring a lot more goals?

18 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

Once again, I’ve got something extra from Clarke’s post match interview. Good as we were, high energy, solid etc, we’ve played better in terms of first touch and passing. Wilson is excellent for an hour, Eddy great endeavour and the more he plays the more he’ll maintain hos touch for 90 minutes as it wasn’t quite what it might become. Pett is quality, probably the best footballer at the club (Wilson might vie for that) you get composure and experience… I’d persist with him while he works through an indifferent period and integrating better with Walker and Garrity. Martin is getting right up there now and Smith is getting back to what we expect, Hall and Hussey look great additions. IF we can maintain the intensity the quality will come back but none of this ‘after the lord mayor’s show’ performances please lads.

big paragraph there - not sure but it might have said something positive about Martin, but I could be mistaken 😁 

seriously, I couldnt agree more with Valiant62 - thought he was great myself last night 

4 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

Martin has looked calm and assured in the past three games. He looks like the player that Exeter fans were raving about. I’ve got nothing against him continuing in that position. 

The back 3, however, is one that should be up for debate: 

We look a lot better defensively with Smith-Martin-Hall. 

We looked better offensively with Cass-Smith-Jones

What would people prefer - a more solid back three or a back three which plays better offensively and contributes to us potentially scoring a lot more goals?

Well obvs Cass is out now, but for me I prefer a solid defence and nicking the odd goal winner at this point. But do love to watch a Dan Jones 60 yard crossfield pass

sacrilege - but maybe Martin/Hall/Jones for the odd match? (just to rest Smith, as I think he has been brilliant)

Well obvs Cass is out now, but for me I prefer a solid defence and nicking the odd goal winner at this point. But do love to watch a Dan Jones 60 yard crossfield pass
sacrilege - but maybe Martin/Hall/Jones for the odd match? (just to rest Smith, as I think he has been brilliant)
Me too. After all, if you can consistently keep clean sheets, then points are guaranteed however you do at the other end. Now that we can score from set pieces, we'll always have a chance of a goal too. We can always change it up and take more risks if we go behind. Not doing Tranmere any harm

Smith Martin and hall are doing really well, I too would like to see Jones back in the 11 though, Jones is great going forward and until the last couple of games he player was fantastic. It’s just who missed out? I think if DC is stuck on 352 or 3 centre halves then possibly at home against ‘weaker’ sides it may make sense to bring Jones in as he’s better at bringing the ball out than Smith and then Smith against stronger sides? It’s hard to drop any of that back 3 at the minute I just personally really rate Jones 

Archived