onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

Fosse69

Typical game of two halves I guess, very scrappy given the conditions with few (if any) clear cut chances. They’ll be happy to have rescued a point when they didn’t look like breaking us down, but I think both sides will be analysing the goals today and be very disappointed by the defending on the corners. 

Advert

How do other teams keep getting tonked by FGR? Do they not press them and just let them play? If so, isn't that just rank bad management? We've now looked by far the better team in 3 halves of football against them, whilst their decent chance creation has been virtually zero across 4 halves. Just can't get my head around how they win every week

Other than 20 minutes at the beginning of the second half, I though we dominated the game with a very very good press and deserved the win last night. I think that playing FGR you really have to be brave and trust that you will make tackles and stop them playing around you. When they get on top, they really punish you and arguably deserved a goal after starting the 2nd half so well.

Odd to go into a game like that thinking that a point was a good result and coming away after the performance thinking that we deserved more.

Smudge was outstanding as was Garrity and Hussy though in fairness, there wasn't really a weak link last night. If we played like that for the rest of the season (unlikely I know), I would be confident that we would go past the play offs into the automatics. 

55 minutes ago, philmpv said:

How do other teams keep getting tonked by FGR? Do they not press them and just let them play? If so, isn't that just rank bad management? We've now looked by far the better team in 3 halves of football against them, whilst their decent chance creation has been virtually zero across 4 halves. Just can't get my head around how they win every week

Bang on. Said exactly the same to my lad during the game. All the faffing they do at goal kicks etc i find it amazing that teams don't get in their faces and press. I went to the away game too and we played really well and were probably a bit unfortunate not to win by 3 or 4. 

The League table doesn't lie and clearly there on merit but it is perplexing to me how they've smashed the league.

Really good performance imo.

Very high energy, which knocked FGR out if their stride.

As has been said so many times, this type of game suits us so much better than when teams come to spoil and sit in.

It was a very good team performance, with Hussey looking class, Wilson silky, Garrity everywhere,the back three looking solid.

Woz and Walker gave there all and more. Both looked to be carrying injuries late on.

Edmundson did very well too.

I never felt comfortable, as, even in the first half, FGR persisted with their playing it out from the back, and expected them to have a spell.

We stood up very well to the post half time barrage.

I thought it was a very good game, with the pitch and ref taking centre stage in the final analysis for their poor quality.

It's going to take some doing to maintain those levels with so many games coming up...

Fans were like there was ten thousand in .

You have to remember they thrashed Tranmere but I never felt at any point that they were going get anything out of last nights game the fact they did shows what a excellent side they are .

Credit to them as for Vale here are my marks .

Holy 6 nothing do but what he did do generally OK I'd have to look at there goal I feel you gotta be on your toes catching everything at that height when set pieces are coming in he should be dominating his box should he have being out catching the ball .

Smith 8 did Matt do much not really and that was down to Smith very good game .

Martin 7.9 tremendous he also had a excellent game .

Hall 7.5 

Hussey 7.6 first half balls in brilliant tidy performance all round  

Garrity 7.9 love this player first half he was everywhere second half he was probably knackered but still putting himself about he deserves a goal every game .

Pett 7 loose at times in possession but still gets in there and wins ball back for Vale .

Walker 7.2 bit sloppy second half ,fights for everything the ball be won he wins it I quite like him needs to work on his passing though as at times he gives it away cheaply .

Wilson 7.9 shame his shot didn't go in very good game mostly but felt we needed more from him second half .

A goal would do him the world of good .

Edmondson 7.8 catalyst for everything good about Vale shame his first attempt didn't fly in goalie saved well scored and generally put a very good display in .

Worrall 7 a frustrating player is Worrall I'd say we need more dynamism in his position after 60 mins in games .

Subs Charlsley I'd have brought him on sooner 85th minute too late  he should have being brought on at half time for one of the 3 midfield .

Fans 10 

UTV 

A lot of criticism of the one mistake for their goal but if Lady Luck had been with us we could have been three up at half time. Wilson’s snap shot brought a great save out of their keeper and when same keeper dropped the ball from a corner Martin’s (I think it was Martin) reactive effort went over the bar.

All in all though a great team performance, summed up by going home disappointed with a draw against our runaway leaders.

Bang on. Said exactly the same to my lad during the game. All the faffing they do at goal kicks etc i find it amazing that teams don't get in their faces and press. I went to the away game too and we played really well and were probably a bit unfortunate not to win by 3 or 4. 
The League table doesn't lie and clearly there on merit but it is perplexing to me how they've smashed the league.
Did we not have a goalie in the past who did not take goal kicks?

A lot of criticism of the one mistake for their goal but if Lady Luck had been with us we could have been three up at half time. Wilson’s snap shot brought a great save out of their keeper and when same keeper dropped the ball from a corner Martin’s (I think it was Martin) reactive effort went over the bar.
All in all though a great team performance, summed up by going home disappointed with a draw against our runaway leaders.
If it was our night we would have been 2 up at HT, we can still improve with the players we have brought in.

Enjoyed the game and felt good at half time as we bossed the game. Defence coped well and the midfield matched them. Had a feeling that they would come out better in the second half, which they did. Pass and move from the back and their 2 and 6 used the ball well.

We seemed to need legs at 65 minutes and expected the subs earlier.

In the end, pleased with a point, especially if we get three on Saturday. The support was great last night and encouraged the team.

MOM .. I felt Hussey supplied some great balls but so one footed, Smudge battled great with Matt, supported well with his colleagues. 
Wilson was class and was great with his link up play. Ohh to have had Conlon, Procter and Gibbons available.

We move on to the next project.

VTID

33 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Really good performance imo.

Very high energy, which knocked FGR out if their stride.

As has been said so many times, this type of game suits us so much better than when teams come to spoil and sit in.

It was a very good team performance, with Hussey looking class, Wilson silky, Garrity everywhere,the back three looking solid.

Woz and Walker gave there all and more. Both looked to be carrying injuries late on.

Edmundson did very well too.

I never felt comfortable, as, even in the first half, FGR persisted with their playing it out from the back, and expected them to have a spell.

We stood up very well to the post half time barrage.

I thought it was a very good game, with the pitch and ref taking centre stage in the final analysis for their poor quality.

It's going to take some doing to maintain those levels with so many games coming up...

I agree.  Which is why we strengthened the squad last month.  We may have the strength in depth now to pull it off.  Need to get a run going, starting Saturday! 

Yes Harratt was just offside unfortunately, had the ball come slightly earlier/or he'd held his run a split second more he may then have been on but hey ho.

Decent performance all told, very good first half we pressed them and created some good openings. Nice to see us score from a corner again and I thought Wilson was unlucky the one the keeper tipped away for a corner. 2nd half as Clarke said the intensity/final ball wasn't quite there and they got on top for periods without really creating a great deal and unfortunately one mistake cost us the equaliser.  It's a good point if we win Saturday.

The lack of goals is perhaps a worry for me though since we came back from the "covid" break. Hopefully it's a blip and the injuries have played a big part in that but scoring 1 and 0 in most games won't cut it for a playoff place come April/May.  Unless that changes that nagging feeling that we are a (decent)striker short will come to the fore unfortunately!

Frustrating result yesterday but, as many have said, I would have taken a point beforehand. 

First half was fantastic. Garrity, Edmundson and Wilson harrying their defence into mistakes and it worked. Unlucky not to have gone into the break two up. Best half I’ve seen in months which is very promising, considering we are missing Conlon and Gibbo.

The second half was always going to be difficult. They are top of the league and unbeaten since September, and they showed flashes of quality in the opening 20 minutes - Vale did well to keep them out. From there, I genuinely thought we’d go onto a scrape a 1-0, so I was very disappointed when we conceded from a sloppy corner.

Harsh to criticise anyone after last night, but I will. What did everyone make of Tom Pett? I thought he was very sloppy possession and hasn’t quite looked himself since the break. I could be being harsh, I know, but I’d be tempted to give Charsley a start on Saturday alongside Garrity and Walker. 

Also, I hope last nights performance shushed the recruitment doubters. How anybody can’t see the improvement in quality is astonishing. Yeah, making 8 changes in January isn’t ideal, but some were forced and the majority done for the improvement of the squad in general. 

Edmundson > Lloyd - He did more last night than Lloyd did in months. 

Hall > Legge - Enough said. What a signing! 

Hussey - Different type of player to Gibbo but, as a whole, he will no doubt I’m prove this squad. It will enable Gibbo to return to the right. Hussey is improving game by game. 

Holy - He looks assured and has a decent kick. Jury is still out for sure, but Stone and Cov didn’t exactly set the world alight. 

Charsley > Burgess, Whitehead - I no doubt believe this. 

Harratt > Rodney - On the basis of this season, no doubt. 

Cooper - The jury is out, as I really liked Dennis. We shall see. 

Robinson - It was enforced, but he comes with a good pedigree.

All in all, I was very pleased last night and we saw signs of the old Vale under Clarke. Recruitment looks promising. 20 games to play, there is no reason why we still can’t get autos - 7 points off with two games in hand. Play-offs 100% achievable, and I think we will make them at the very least. 

Archived