• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

Fosse69

Advert:

Still worried about the performance. They missed a sitter just before time, hitting it down the middle straight at Holý. Nuclear meltdown if that went in.

Wilson much improved today. Lots of coming deep to pick the ball up and start something, got a bit of a battering today and I was worried he’d picked up an impact injury at the end when he stayed down. I know it was gamesmanship the same way they were from the kick off but he did fall heavily.

I think Worrall is neutered playing so deep and he had another below standard showing today.

Edmonson looks as quick as Rodney but stronger too. I think I’d like to see him start over Harratt on Tuesday because otherwise with Conlon out injured the ball isn’t going to stick up top otherwise.

I’m confused by Exeter fans raving about Martin. I don’t want to get on his back because he’s become the scapegoat getting pelters every time he gets on the ball but my god he gets us in trouble every game. Weak headers, indecisiveness, always looks to have a Brown at Cheltenham style mistake was in him.

Speaking of Brown, P&G was as painful as the first half today. He’s 36. If he’s so amazing why has he only played 1 game for them this season? Let it go. 

10 minutes ago, Doha said:

I’m confused by Exeter fans raving about Martin. I don’t want to get on his back because he’s become the scapegoat getting pelters every time he gets on the ball but my god he gets us in trouble every game. Weak headers, indecisiveness, always looks to have a Brown at Cheltenham style mistake was in him.

I'm not a fan of Martin but you are being very harsh there.  Apart from one sloppy header in the second half I thought he was excellent today.  Best game I've seen him have.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Doha said:

Speaking of Brown, P&G was as painful as the first half today. He’s 36. If he’s so amazing why has he only played 1 game for them this season? Let it go. 

It's a case of distance lending enchantment to the view.  You remember the good stuff and forget the bad.

• Like 1

Advert:

21 minutes ago, Jermaine Holwynn said:

People going in on the keeper, yes he had 2 blocked clearances and one air kick at the bycars end and one (actually successful) punch from a set piece that could be deemed as dodgy. But he also looked quite commanding, came for balls, very tall and his kicks went far in storm Malik.

Cut him some slack, he got a clean sheet on his debut and he's probably being told to play a very specific way.

First time on this pitch, in that weather on his debut. Seems like a sound likeable down to earth lad as well. Mad some of you lot are.

I don't feel for Stone because over his short Port Vale career he's looked nothing more than bang average, same with Covolan although it can be argued that Covolans distribution is better. Is anyone really upset about not seeing Stone on the team sheet? It's been said before he probably needs to go out on loan.

He has more experience in the league above then the majority of our team. People need to stop creating something out of nothing and just get behind him.

Cracking post mate. Holy was fine. I actually felt he made the defence safe albeit Scunny were pathetic up front.   Coopers came lit up the final stages.

• Like 4

Just in from the Crown so not the best time to post admittedly. 

A win is a win, truly awful game, but who knows that could be the boost we need.  

Thought Holy was as dodgy as hell and Wilson was superb.  His brain is way above league 2, sadly for us his fitness isn't. 

I sort of don't know what to make of today, a couple of results went our way but Telford looks like single handedly firing Newport up on his own, we have to stay in touch with the play off mob and hit form late April early May. 

The Amoooooooooo , I'm not convinced that's not actually boos now because he was toss. 

Onwards and upwards 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SuperHuman said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Anthony Grant have a bad game. I’d still love him in a Vale shirt. Class above Walker and Garrity.

Grant gave away a lot of ball today, looked out of touch at times. Mind you so did Vale!

Advert:

3 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Swindon 1-1 in 92nd min against 9 men Colchester,  Tranmere loss by 4 only good results apart from our win and Wilson lasting 90 mins, 

Salford and Bradford both lost; Exeter only drew. 3 games in hand on Newport 8 points behind;  2 games in hand behind Tranmere 9 points behind.  2 games in hand on Sutton, 8 points behind; 1 game in hand on the other teams above us - we're far from out of this! Time for others to have a blip!

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Just in from the Crown so not the best time to post admittedly. 

A win is a win, truly awful game, but who knows that could be the boost we need.  

Thought Holy was as dodgy as hell and Wilson was superb.  His brain is way above league 2, sadly for us his fitness isn't. 

I sort of don't know what to make of today, a couple of results went our way but Telford looks like single handedly firing Newport up on his own, we have to stay in touch with the play off mob and hit form late April early May. 

The Amoooooooooo , I'm not convinced that's not actually boos now because he was toss. 

Onwards and upwards 

A decent side would have murdered us today. Too pedestrian, lacked any serious threat. First half slow and stale, improved and dominated second half and deserved the 1-0. Wilson never looks fit to me, Amoo does not do enough and needs licence on the right to run at people - which won't happen if Worrall is in and nor should it. Worried with the x3 at the back as I think a decent side will be in and around them. Keeper looks OK. We need to improve for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Is Stone injured? Crazy decision to play a keeper who hasn’t trained with the squad or not even met the team until this morning! Especially after Stone kept a clean sheet last match. I don’t particularly rate Stone and think we do need a new keeper but to me that decision is plain stupidity, one we got away with.

Better to play a new keeper against a team who don't score many, and are well down the table than one of our closest rivals!

• Like 1

Advert:

8 minutes ago, pete vale said:

A decent side would have murdered us today. Too pedestrian, lacked any serious threat. First half slow and stale, improved and dominated second half and deserved the 1-0. Wilson never looks fit to me, Amoo does not do enough and needs licence on the right to run at people - which won't happen if Worrall is in and nor should it. Worried with the x3 at the back as I think a decent side will be in and around them. Keeper looks OK. We need to improve for sure.

The wind played a huge part in that game today. Any decent team would have struggled to play in those conditions.

I would put my mortgage on it that Wilson GPS stats are higher than anyone today for distance covered and number of sprints.  The last 20 minutes players from both sides were blowing out the arse, even Woz. It was a tough game in those conditions.

• Like 2

Nice to read that almost everyone is in agreement regarding Wilsns contribution today, after his slow start since returning from his injury. Just hope he can continue to improve and crucially stay fit fir the remainder of the season. 

• Like 2