onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

Fosse69

Very disjointed performance, thankfully managed to turn it into 3 points. Really hope FGR had people watching that game, they'll turn up with their slippers on on Tuesday. All winning runs have to start somewhere, I strangely fancy us to nick something against FGR. New goalie looked shaky to say the least, but wasn't really tested. I'd like to see Cooper come in for Amoo on Tuesday, he seemed to have a bit of pace about him. 3 hard earned points closer tonight boys and girls.

Advert

Just now, mr.hobblesworth said:

Feel far more pessimistic after the 3 points today than I did after we conceded 3 and lost to Oldham.

At this time in our season I’d rather play rubbish and pick three points up. It’s about winning games now after our slump in form and slip down the table. 

We played well against Sutton and Oldham and ended up losing. 

23 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Conditions caused a scrappy game and ugly win but a W is a W.

Got to get key players bask asap 'cause it doesn't look like a real difference maker type player(s) is/are gonna be bought in.

Cooper looked a lively youngen 

Well that was a bad game, we were marginally the better of two poor sides. The problem I have with 3 CB’s is that with Garrity and Walker as the midfield (both were poor today for me) you are then reliant on one of the CB’s bringing the ball out of defence to create something. This happened once, when Hall threaded a beautiful ball through to Hussey 2nd half (who totally screwed up the cross and not impressed me so far), but other than that nothing, especially 1st half when we were just playing aimless long balls, and turning over possession. But again that’s hardly surprising with Martin and Smith, neither of whom are good with the ball at their feet. Harratt is still very raw, Amoo to be fair was earmarked as our dangerman and was double-marked, but even so seems frightened to death to take anyone on these days. I am definitely not convinced by Holy, he looked to have a very languid almost too casual look about him and did some incredibly strange things (the air-kick outside of the area 1st half, punching chest height crosses etc) that do nothing to instil confidence. Charsley added a bit more energy but on first impressions he not the type of midfielder we needed, more of a Ian Bogie-type schemer. Play that team against FGR and we’ll get spanked. Knowing Vale we’ll win 3-0.

19 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

As DC said, the goalie only came in late yesterday and met the players today. 

Hopefully, he will train with the players and show us and them what he can do.  His defence will then gain confidence in his abilities and we keep clean sheets more and more.

Feel for Stone, as you say not done too much wrong and drops to the bench.  He is learning his trade and hopefully will be No 1 soon.

Is Stone injured? Crazy decision to play a keeper who hasn’t trained with the squad or not even met the team until this morning! Especially after Stone kept a clean sheet last match. I don’t particularly rate Stone and think we do need a new keeper but to me that decision is plain stupidity, one we got away with.

For what it's worth. Keeper a bit dodgy, but thought his kicking was quite good (granted not the be all and end all). Hussey intrigues me, as he seems extremely cautious. He will take a ball over half way line on left, run at the man - beats him on outside, but he stops, cuts inside and has to beat the man all over again. Seen him do this several times over several games. Wilson still looks injured to me. Team not gelling at present, but Time will tell .....just wish the players would have confidence in their own ability. (Amoo). And lastly, why do none of the players want to make themselves available at throw-ins.

2 minutes ago, ollyandpatch said:

Possibly the worst opposition I have seen Vale face in 51 years. Credit to the 270 Scunny fans who travelled down.

Weather was a leveller, but play like that on Tuesday and it will be all over by half time.

our worst midfield 1st half .

First half was very poor, I agree. However, surely we can take some positives from that second half?

In the second half Wilson and Harratt both should have scored and it could have been 3-0. We played in their half and were by in large dominant.

It was a similar game to the Salford one and we ended up losing that. A win is a win my eyes.

DC makes a good point about 3 at the back.

People wanted 442 or 433 which would have been more attacking and probably a better solution to todays game.

But we have no right back making that difficult… something we are hoping to rectify on Monday.

As an aside… Martin played well again today and Hall looks like a great addition, his ball through to Hussey was lovely

Wilson looked back to his best until he took an ankle knock and then got cramp… persevering will hopefully start to pay dividends.

Cooper looks fun!

Archived