Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

Fosse69

Guest Vale at home
2 hours ago, The man in the pub said:
On 24/01/2022 at 22:10, Warren said:
Must win game. 

The perfect game to get back on winning ways . Best way to do that is to start on the front foot. Goals seemed to have dried up so to aid our strikers pick a formation that uses Wozza and Garrity as genuine attacking threats .

Vale Desperately need a win on Saturday . I do agree Wozza and Garrity  attacking . And get the first Goal as soon as we can . 

Advert

4 minutes ago, SFBT said:

I should hope not.

He's coming up to one year in post.

Massive overhaul from top to bottom.

Compare now to this time last year.

All I see is progress...

Mid table league 2 after being heavily backed isnt progress to me, look am not calling for him go as I believe he can turn it around, but another couple of defeats and questions have to be asked. We havent played well in a long time yes weve had injurys but our squad is good enough to cope with them. Wevw gone from looking good for automatic places to outside play offs in the space of a month

The concept that DC plays negative football is mad and doesn't hold up. Labelling the wingbacks a '532' is disingenuous, as in possession the wingbacks play as high as the forwards. More of a 334 when we have the ball. 

The reason we're not scoring goals is because we've had no fully fit experienced strikers since November 13th (Bradford). We've played Amoo, Rodney, Garrity, Politic, an unfit Wilson, Harratt, and Edmonson as strikers since. 3 wingers, a CM, an unfit forward, and two young loanees.

On November 12th, with fit strikers, we were 2nd and had scored the joint most in the league; 27 in 15. Not possible to have a negative approach and also score this many.

Since then we've had no fully fit forwards with proper experience -  scored 11 in 9, and now we're 10th. Our form has slumped to lower-mid table at the exact time our strikers got injured. It's no coincidence - we were good and free-scoring with strikers, and poor and stodgy without.

The decision to not sign an experienced forward is one I've criticised for a while. It should have been priority number 1 - Wilson, Proctor, and New Striker to compete for the forward places. I'm not fussed with big names, just a player who we could rely on to do something whilst Wilson inched towards fitness. Harratt and Edmonson might be decent but they were almighty gambles considering the situation.

4 hours ago, ollyandpatch said:

Biggest game of the season....

Home form is no where near enough. Strikers are often isolated. lots of possession but dependent on Worrall and Garrity for any direct threat.

Goals have dried up since te end of Novemeber. Still not sure why Politic was never a regular starter, must be fitness issues or clauses in the loan. Regardless since Proctor, we have relatively loooked toothless. Garrity's goals have papered over the cracks.

The decline is startling and the pressure is on DC. Need 4 points at least from the next two home games.

352 is easy to play against and quickly becomes a defensive formation. So many sides have simply pushed our wing backs back and turned 352 into 532. We have no width and literally nothing up top when this happens. Then DC switches it up at half time and we improve and look dangerous and repeat. I’ll be pretty annoyed if we set up 352 / 532 against one of the worst sides in the league. 

36 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Mid table league 2 after being heavily backed isnt progress to me, look am not calling for him go as I believe he can turn it around, but another couple of defeats and questions have to be asked. We havent played well in a long time yes weve had injurys but our squad is good enough to cope with them. Wevw gone from looking good for automatic places to outside play offs in the space of a month

The engineered winter break is looking very costly now. Teams who were on our tail got on with it, took full advantage and are now well ahead of us with points in the bag. 

10 minutes ago, smithie said:

The engineered winter break is looking very costly now. Teams who were on our tail got on with it, took full advantage and are now well ahead of us with points in the bag. 

Why do some people keep making excuses there are 5 teams above us who have played just one more game and that game in some cases was when we played in the fa cup when we play midweek games it’ll be the players look leggy and tired 

1 hour ago, Vale1995 said:

Mid table league 2 after being heavily backed isnt progress to me, look am not calling for him go as I believe he can turn it around, but another couple of defeats and questions have to be asked.

We’ve had 11 significant injuries over the squad this season. 

How do you think the other clubs in the league would fare if their top forwards all suddenly went missing?

And top CM in Conlon, playing below standard with an injury and then succumbing to it? 

Top winger in Worrall playing through a reported chronic back problem? 

Losing Legge, Wilson, Proctor, Taylor, Hurst, Lloyd and now Gibbo long term? 

Playing a young CM up front because every forward including Amoo and Rodney were injured? 

Losing their spark in Politic unexpectedly?

They’d collapse. 

If we go up this season he’s a miracle worker after all that not least because while the rest bar Lloyd, Politic and Legge will be back eventually I’d be very surprised to see first names on the team sheet Conlon and Gibbo on the pitch again this season with their reported issues. 

7 minutes ago, Doha said:

I’d be very surprised to see first names on the team sheet Conlon and Gibbo on the pitch again this season with their reported issues. 

This is why I've taken a negative turn in the last week or so. It's less to do with results (though they've had an effect), and more to do with long-term losses of our captain and player of the season. I can't imagine any other side in the league would cope. Take Jamille Matt and Nicky Cadden out of FGR; they'd crumble. Spearing and Clarke out of Tranmere. McKirdy and Conroy from Swindon. Goodnight Vienna.

From Walsall onwards this season has been a slowly unfolding disaster and, as you say, will be an absolute miracle from DC if we end up competing for promotion. 

How can it be plain sailing on sat it just will not be we ain't playing well enough for it be so .

We are back pedalling teams are all going above us and we are in free fall it could easily just run away from us as we are not at the level we need be .

We need players step up now he needs to go with his best 2 up front and stick to them not Harratt and Edmondsen one game and Wilson and Amoo another i really do not see what the  kids who were selected did wrong v Salford not get the nod v L Orient aswell the fact we didn't score first half was a travesty yet v Orient we were as blunt as throughout the game  

Surely on present form he needs go with Harratt and another .

We need to score early and gain  confidence from that if Worrall still out Amoo in his place .

Big game any less than 3 points then we might just be hanging around mid table all the rest of the season .

Personally feel there's lot to play for but need consistently the first half performance v Salford with ball hitting the back of the net not players and the second half v Brentford in Cup where we hammered them at times ,if we can put them performances consistently over 90 mins and the back door 🚪 is closed we can do it but anything less Not a chance .

UTV 

Archived