Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

Fosse69

Chance of 2 doubles on the horizon, 2 teams in widely different positions, 2 teams who failed to score against the Vale on their home grounds. Leaving FGR for a week Scunthorpe in 23rd place look the easier chance of 3 points. Goalless in their last 4 games and with a home game against Bristol Rovers on Tuesday should favour the Vale with a free week to prepare, although Injuries continue to hamper us. Worrall`s Covid and Conlon`s Achilles are unknowns at present, Gibbon`s hamstring is likely to be lengthy, Jones just a knock? Any new faces on the bench or pitch?  A front foot plan as against Salford must surely produce a home win. 3-0 for me.

• Like 1

An attacking formation needed, surely he won't play three centre backs at home against Scunny? Crying out for 442 or 433. 

Hopefully Woz will be back, providing he's not too ill with Covid at the moment. 🤞

I'd go Stone

Cass Martin Hall Hussey

Pett Walker Garrity

Woz Wilson Amoo

Must win this one to get back in the mix and if we don’t beat these we have big problems as they are awful.

Lost a couple of big players in recent weeks to weaken them even further so need to be winning this and comfortably.

22 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:

Hopefully Scunthorpe won't do a Salford and score and win with there 1 shot on target. We just need make sure when we create chances we actually put them away. 

Glad to be running Salford back again soon.  Get that one corrected quickly.

If we play 5 at the back on Saturday I think we can safely say whether DC is here 1 more game or 100,000 more games, he’ll always play this formation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1 said:

If we play 5 at the back on Saturday I think we can safely say whether DC is here 1 more game or 100,000 more games, he’ll always play this formation.

Why? We're arguably better stocked with defenders than anywhere else on the pitch.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Why? We're arguably better stocked with defenders than anywhere else on the pitch.

i think he means if ever there is a game not to have 5 at the back then an horrific bottom of the league team at home is the game to go 4-4-3 or 4-4-2

we shouldn't be stacked with 5 at the back against Scunthorpe, however you dress up the formation.

• Like 2

Have to see who we sign this week before naming starting xl but we need to take our chances last home game  the scoreline was unjust so I am hoping we have more luck in final third however they say you make your own luck and I think the non performance v Swindon contributed yo the bad luck v Salford ,Leyton Orient away looked a non event to me by how the game panned out and you would have to ask if bringing a player of Husseys excellence in why ain't anyone getting on the end of his balls in is it because they are not up to speed or do they lack the desire to get on anything because you would think in the case of James Wilson he as being at a prem league club is movement should be way above league 2 level at times he as shown it but I can see why he is at a league 2 club he consistently does not do it .

I'd like be proven wrong but at present not enough about the Vale for the  club be successful and get in top 7 on present form we are a 16 th placed team in terms of performance ,application etc we need to improve ten fold if we are to get in the top 7 .

I want see 23 at it performances now and see where we end up .

Edited by Breadwinner

58 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

i think he means if ever there is a game not to have 5 at the back then an horrific bottom of the league team at home is the game to go 4-4-3 or 4-4-2

we shouldn't be stacked with 5 at the back against Scunthorpe, however you dress up the formation.

Not arguing with you but is 5-3-2 particularly more defensive than 4-4-2? We've put in some thrilling attacking displays with 5 at the back, albeit with Gibbo in the side.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Not arguing with you but is 5-3-2 particularly more defensive than 4-4-2? We've put in some thrilling attacking displays with 5 at the back, albeit with Gibbo in the side.

Probably not, although some games particularly at home i want to see us start more front foot. The wing backs as often commented can see Worrall very deep at times.

It's always about the players on the day not a formation. Either way we need to be at it and get an early goal for confidence. Start on the front foot, get the crowd behind them. Ponderous plodding and zero oomph will make it a flat occasion. The season won't be defined by Scunthorpe but this is a game we have to win in my book. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Exactly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

The issue with it for me is that our spare man is always a CB instead of an attacker. It’s fine away from home, as we’ve seen with some great results. But at home more often than not it’s failed and we’ve had to switch it up at half time. Personally i don’t think it suits some of our players, wozza is wasted, amoo and Rodney don’t fit in ect. 

• Like 1