onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Leyton Orient v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Yeah I'm all for the long-term approach but we have to get out of this tinpot league pronto and we had/have a very decent chance of doing so this year. Short-term, 'get over the line' signings are needed. Lee Hughes and Darren Purse were 6 month signings that did the trick perfectly. Probably on more than the rest of the squad, no resale value at all, but got us promoted and everyone wins.

We've not been in the bottom tier for more than 5 consecutive seasons since the 1940s. That's what we're looking at right now.

We are still well placed. I thought the manager via the goalkeeper didn't press for a winner at Orient and I was disappointed with that. Given the players available it looks like he will play more direct. One of the problems I have with that is we don't have the right forwards available for that sort of game. I guess on the counter attack maybe, but the Orient game was two sides playing the same way and cancelling. Very low number of shots and none of seriousness. The two loan strikers, who I rate quite highly, look like they need space in behind or quality to feet near / in the box. Not something coming down from above the floodlights which seemed to be most of the game at Orient. 

By the way I took a new supporter to that game and she is unlikely to go to another football game because it was boring. The fox was the highlight. I can accept practicality for a while but to keep and attract supporters to games they need to transcend from sport to entertainment. This one didn't.  

16 minutes ago, Warren said:

We are still well placed. I thought the manager via the goalkeeper didn't press for a winner at Orient and I was disappointed with that. Given the players available it looks like he will play more direct. One of the problems I have with that is we don't have the right forwards available for that sort of game. I guess on the counter attack maybe, but the Orient game was two sides playing the same way and cancelling. Very low number of shots and none of seriousness. The two loan strikers, who I rate quite highly, look like they need space in behind or quality to feet near / in the box. Not something coming down from above the floodlights which seemed to be most of the game at Orient. 

By the way I took a new supporter to that game and she is unlikely to go to another football game because it was boring. The fox was the highlight. I can accept practicality for a while but to keep and attract supporters to games they need to transcend from sport to entertainment. This one didn't.  

Well placed, not so sure. We need one win from every two games. The sooner we can start a bit of a run the better. Hope Saturday was the start. We have to have 3 points saturday and the 1 point FGR.

Worst of all was that Salford and Orient were there for the taking and we failes against Salford and then possibly chose not to go for it versus Orient.

Like i say next two games couls put us on that run we desperately need to start NOW.

Yeah I'm all for the long-term approach but we have to get out of this tinpot league pronto and we had/have a very decent chance of doing so this year. Short-term, 'get over the line' signings are needed. Lee Hughes and Darren Purse were 6 month signings that did the trick perfectly. Probably on more than the rest of the squad, no resale value at all, but got us promoted and everyone wins.
We've not been in the bottom tier for more than 5 consecutive seasons since the 1940s. That's what we're looking at right now.
That was ten years ago things are very different now. Do you think they would have signed for us for 6 months or a team in the national league on more money and an 18 month contract. Maybe the reason we haven't signed an experienced striker is because they are all going to the league below on twice as much money

35 minutes ago, dishydave said:
15 hours ago, Joe B said:

That was ten years ago things are very different now. Do you think they would have signed for us for 6 months or a team in the national league on more money and an 18 month contract. Maybe the reason we haven't signed an experienced striker is because they are all going to the league below on twice as much money

I am up for signing another experienced striker. I am also up for signing an experienced midfielder who can get on the ball and provide good distribution. But remembering Lee Hughes, he was a Premier League standard striker and I want someone of that nature and not another experienced lower league striker. Similarly in midfield. Otherwise I am quite happy with our two on loan strikers and think they have a lot of ability. 

23 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Not written Wilson off in any way shape or form. You don’t think we’ve been carrying him recently? He looks about 50% fit. Conlon ect have looked much fitter, with their injuries…. The issue is it took him a long time to get going at the start of the season and is again, potentially we could end up finishing the season with Wilson being 100% for about 20 games. This is why I think we need another proven forward, with Proctor being out for a while and Wilson not a full pelt for a large part, we’re then left with sticking two wingers up top in Rodney and Amoo (completely wasting them) 

Not basing anything on reputation at all. I’m very happy with the Harratt signing, he looks a very good player, I will judge them at the end of the season. It’s just my opinion that we may have been better signing an experienced striker and a younger striker. Not two extremely inexperienced ones. 

Probably am taking a short term view, but what other view is there in this case? Neither are actually Port Vale players so the case of developing them Dosent really fit here. A side chasing promotion should sign players for either the short term in January to push them to promotion (looking at players like Hughes and purse) or players ready to play in league 1. For me Hussey and Hall certainly fit into both. No chance of signing Harratt permanently either….

They may turn out to be great players, I imagine Harratt will be, and certainly better than the likes of Loft, but he more than likely won’t be at Port Vale when he’s at that level.

At the minute i want us to start with one of the young lads, Harratt because of his goals and then Wilson. And straight away there’s an issue, Wilson isn’t fit, so then you look at two young lads starting together with little experience. I just think we’re missing another forward. I’d be delighted if we finish the window, with Harratt, edmonson and another forward signed.

To reiterate. Delighted with the Harratt signing, I’ll give Edmonson time as well, I was just hoping in January we would have signed a striker of the Hussey ilk along with one of the younger lads. 

How do you suggest we get Wilson, or any other player returning from injury, fit without “carrying him” to some extent?  We either play him as much as possible or we don’t.  The more minutes he can manage the better for his fitness and, hopefully, form.

The problem with your idea of signing an experienced striker is that there are only two or three of these players actually available in January, and every single team is looking to add more firepower, so supply and demand almost certainly means paying well over the odds in fees and wages for players that, for us, are essentially only acting as cover, with absolutely no guarantee said player will perform or stay fit.  It’s always a gamble.

Taking your short term view, we only need Harratt and/or Edmonson to contribute on the pitch between now and the end of the season, beyond that it doesn’t matter.  Here again there is the cost factor.  Chances are their parent clubs are helping out with wages.  Loans carry a lot less financial risk than permanent signings.

We can all sit at our keyboards hoping the club sign this player or that player but as fans most of us haven’t got a clue about our finances, an individual players demands and preferences, agents, parent clubs wishes, FFP even, the list goes on.  Any deal is as much about money as it is about football.

9 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

How do you suggest we get Wilson, or any other player returning from injury, fit without “carrying him” to some extent?  We either play him as much as possible or we don’t.  The more minutes he can manage the better for his fitness and, hopefully, form.

The problem with your idea of signing an experienced striker is that there are only two or three of these players actually available in January, and every single team is looking to add more firepower, so supply and demand almost certainly means paying well over the odds in fees and wages for players that, for us, are essentially only acting as cover, with absolutely no guarantee said player will perform or stay fit.  It’s always a gamble.

Taking your short term view, we only need Harratt and/or Edmonson to contribute on the pitch between now and the end of the season, beyond that it doesn’t matter.  Here again there is the cost factor.  Chances are their parent clubs are helping out with wages.  Loans carry a lot less financial risk than permanent signings.

We can all sit at our keyboards hoping the club sign this player or that player but as fans most of us haven’t got a clue about our finances, an individual players demands and preferences, agents, parent clubs wishes, FFP even, the list goes on.  Any deal is as much about money as it is about football.

I agree with all of that, understand it’s tough to get those kind of forwards, especially in January, we’ve managed to get two experienced, and excellent players in with hall and hussey, was just hoping we would be able to get someone like loft up top (granted I don’t know the finances / if we were after them or not) 

Cost factor, again agreed. But I think it comes down to whether we want to really go for it this season or not. 

The issue for me with Wilson, he needs minutes but he isn’t fit enough to be starting matches. Yet we don’t have the strike force currently to allow him to come off the bench. Hence why I think we needed a proven forward. Ideal situation for me would be we start with Harratt and a new striker, then bring Wilson on at around 60 mins 

Archived