onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Leyton Orient v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

2 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

How have FG managed to keep those two fit enough to score all these goals?  Good luck or good management?

Bearing in mind that Stevens only started 10 league games for them last season looks like luck might have played a part.

4 hours ago, Hoppers said:

Out of curiosity Smithie, how are you determining how far weve Fallen? from this time last year, or 3 months ago?

I'll happily admit I don't always think logically when it comes to the Vale, and see things only from a time-served Valiant's perspective! 

But it is so, so disappointing to see Accrington, Morecambe and the like playing Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich while we entertain Salford and Harrogate.

I think of our now-fabulous stadium, current and potential support, enhanced and positive profile thanks to our superb owners, all the positivity around the place and an impending massive concert at the ground that will bring exposure we can't buy.... and we're thinking a draw against Dot Cotton's XI in the Fourth Division is a good point. 

I didn't agree at the time with us joining in with the postponing of games because it suited us. We'll never know if we would have won a couple of those cancelled games if we'd played them - yes, we were without strikers but until then the goals were coming from all over the side. The teams around us took full advantage and now we're looking up longingly at 7th place. 

I just hope we can string several wins together and get right back in the mix. 

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

What has training methods got to do with for example a broken foot or a collision with the Walsall keeper ? 

Nothing in those 2 examples, but we still seem to be getting as many, if not more, of the 'niggly' muscle injuries that we used to have when Askey was in charge and DC was highly critical of the previous methods. Just saying......

5 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Excuses?  Valid reasons?  Choice of words.  We’ve been damned unlucky in my view.  It’s not just losing our 2 good forwards, it’s, at various times, losing ALL our forwards, best attacking wingbacks/wide players, most creative midfielder, and high impact super sub, even Dan Jones was having some effect in an attacking sense, sorry if I missed anyone else out.  The balance is to get someone half decent to join in January, in the knowledge that our injured players will ultimately return and then need to play minutes to gain fitness.  Not an easy task.  Add to this every team in every league will be looking to strengthen in this window so we could easily end up in a bidding war.  At the end of the day finances do play a part.

I think we’ve recruited well.  Get Wilson up to speed, add a couple more players, as DC suggests, get the injured/ suspended players back, and, most of all, have a bit more luck, and the playoffs should be on.  If we can turn things round quickly the automatic places are still achievable.

Cup half full.

100% agree we've been very unlucky. Never argued to the contrary. I questioned the wisdom of signing both Edmonson and Harratt, and then not scoring any goals. 

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

100% agree we've been very unlucky. Never argued to the contrary. I questioned the wisdom of signing both Edmonson and Harratt, and then not scoring any goals. 

We needed strikers.  Who would you have signed?  You’re now going to suggest Loft and Hemmings.  Both of whom have signed for clubs with financial clout equal to, if not greater than, ourselves.  We could sign those players and they could be no better than the 2 kids, there’s no way of knowing.  All the while our own strikers are getting closer to returning to full fitness.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Strikers can only score if they have the service (apart from wonder goals, of which we have already seen one from Harratt) 

43 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

We needed strikers.  Who would you have signed?  You’re now going to suggest Loft and Hemmings.  Both of whom have signed for clubs with financial clout equal, to if not greater than, ourselves.  We could sign those players and they could be no better than the 2 kids, there’s no way of knowing.  All the while our own strikers are getting closer to returning to full fitness.

I don't agree that if Wilson and Proctor are getting fitter, we can't sign competition for them. 

44 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

We needed strikers.  Who would you have signed?  You’re now going to suggest Loft and Hemmings.  Both of whom have signed for clubs with financial clout equal, to if not greater than, ourselves.  We could sign those players and they could be no better than the 2 kids, there’s no way of knowing.  All the while our own strikers are getting closer to returning to full fitness.

So we should just wait until Proctor maybe comes back? Wilson has already been back 3/4 games and still looks way off it. If we’re serious about getting promotion then you have to sign players good enough not just wait until a certain player comes back. What about all of those games in between? We should have been in for Loft. 

Jake Taylor must be even more frustrated to be out injured as with Conlon out this is the time for him to show what he can do. 

It's bad luck to have so many key players out injured at the same time but the striker situation should have been planned for in the summer. Vale always looked undermanned starting the season with two experienced strikers and a 21 year old in George Lloyd, Rodney and Amoo for all their ability are not out and out strikers, especially in a 3-5-2. 

I was surprised we didn't sign an experience striker in the summer and hope we're after one right now. Nothing against the 2 new lads but it's a hell of an ask for them to some into an injury hit team pushing for promotion and score the requisite goals.

7 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Excuses?  Valid reasons?  Choice of words.  We’ve been damned unlucky in my view.  It’s not just losing our 2 good forwards, it’s, at various times, losing ALL our forwards, best attacking wingbacks/wide players, most creative midfielder, and high impact super sub, even Dan Jones was having some effect in an attacking sense, sorry if I missed anyone else out.  The balance is to get someone half decent to join in January, in the knowledge that our injured players will ultimately return and then need to play minutes to gain fitness.  Not an easy task.  Add to this every team in every league will be looking to strengthen in this window so we could easily end up in a bidding war.  At the end of the day finances do play a part.

I think we’ve recruited well.  Get Wilson up to speed, add a couple more players, as DC suggests, get the injured/ suspended players back, and, most of all, have a bit more luck, and the playoffs should be on.  If we can turn things round quickly the automatic places are still achievable.

Cup half full.

Agree with all of this - you could also add that Garrity has stopped scoring!

Archived