onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Leyton Orient v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

8 minutes ago, 1 said:

With Hussey and Worrall/Gibbo. If we can keep that defence on the pitch for the majority of the second half of the season, we will concede few enough to get promotion. The problem will be more likely the other end, and whether they’ll hold up their end,

Strange when only a few games ago we couldn’t be stopped going forward. Hopefully if we can get all of our best attackers back fit we can drastically improve that end of the pitch as well 

Two midfielders, someone who can give us some width options and a decent experienced striker. That’s my shopping list But we could potentially make the playoffs with 2/3 of them. Less than that and we haven’t got enough goals.

5 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I think there's a reasonable chance we are without Conlon and Gibbo for a considerable amount of time.

I would personally bet against us going up if that were the case. I know there's a long way to go but you need your best players.

Not too concerned with Gibbo being out, he’s excellent but we do have great replacements in that area. Hussey and Benning on the left and Wozza and Cass down the right. We’re missing what a fully fit Conlon does creatively though - need him back fully fit ASAP, don’t want us playing him when he’s 70% fit as we have been though 

2 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Strange when only a few games ago we couldn’t be stopped going forward. Hopefully if we can get all of our best attackers back fit we can drastically improve that end of the pitch as well 

It’s so frustrating because I seriously doubt that many of the other teams could win even a single game with the amount of injuries we’ve had.

Our best team with no injuries and the depth we have in the squad available easily hits the top 3 with points to spare.

14 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Not too concerned with Gibbo being out, he’s excellent but we do have great replacements in that area. Hussey and Benning on the left and Wozza and Cass down the right. We’re missing what a fully fit Conlon does creatively though - need him back fully fit ASAP, don’t want us playing him when he’s 70% fit as we have been though 

Hussey and Worrall are the only promotion calibre players there. Benning and Cass would not start for a top 7 side at wing back (Cass at RCB no doubt). 

A creative midfielder is an absolute priority. Pett and Walker are sideways passers and Garrity isn't much of a passer at all.

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

Clean sheet is good but there's no hiding from the fact that we're in fairly dismal form, stretching back to Bradford, and it has possibly cost us the chance of automatic promotion.

Still bang in the playoff race but we're now firmly out of them even with games in hand - a real collapse since nearly going top on TV. It can still happen but we've got to snap out of this slump.

I've said before, it's all and good 'seeing where we are at the end of the window', but we've got games to play before then and we're losing ground. 

I still think it was a mistake not to sign a more 'proven' forward whilst Wilson gets match fit. Proctor is still not close, and then we've got to get him match-fit when he's back. We're still some way off having any firepower.

Conlon could be out-long term. Politic is gone. None of our fit midfielders are 'creative' in any sense. Gibbons was in tears today - clearly not good. Hussey is finding his feet. All of our attacking strength is gone. 

Hussey and Hall are good business but we have an absolutely monumental week now. We probably need 4-5 players and they all need to be good signings. I'm worried. 

How dare you. Last week when I said I thought we’d blown automatic promotion I was called every name under the sun. But the writing has been on the wall for a little while. We limped along picking up results to Newport but that was clearly a game too far. Plus we’ve proved that when we’re bad, we’re alarmingly bad (i.e. last 10 mins vs Sutton and Oldham, whole game vs Walsall and Swindon, some of the Rochdale and Orient home games). We’ve been weak defensively all season (hopefully Hall goes some way to rectifying this) and without a fully fit Proctor, Wilson and Conlon look really short of attacking threat, especially as we’ve got no Politic now. But I agree…. whilst not as severe as last year there is a very definite feel of deja vu about the side and wondering where the next goal / win is coming from. Hopefully that does mean we can also look forward to 8 wins on the spin soon….??

Well happy with that.Back to basics and a clean sheet. I thought the much maligned Martin along with Smith and in particular Hall (my MOTM)were superb today. We looked a really strong defensive unit with Walker in front who had a really good game too.

I think our general play has improved substantially over the past 2 games but we need to be much better in the final 3rd,having said that both Wils and Amoo are clearly a little of the pace as you would expect.

A CM who can dribble, take players on with a little creativity would make a huge difference.

A blow for Gibbo, hope we get to see him again for the run in.

2 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Sutton / Northampton / Swinedon all drew and Salford, immediately below us, lost at home to Colchester. As it stands we have 2 games in hand on Newport who are in 5th place, 5 points above us.

I thought it was a bad day results wise for us. Don't care about Salford, they're awful & below us in the table.

Mansfield won again... with 10 men, FG won again, Tranmere won, Exeter won, Newport won. Sutton & Northampton shared a point.

In fact, every single team above us picked up points today, most of them 3.

I honestly think our awful old heavy pitch has something to do with these injuries. Although today offered some comfort as we competed rather well and had we won 1-0, I’d have probably felt that was a fair result. 

However it was still really hard work and I actually fear us finishing lower than last season! 

10 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

I thought it was a bad day results wise for us. Don't care about Salford, they're awful & below us in the table.

Mansfield won again... with 10 men, FG won again, Tranmere won, Exeter won, Newport won. Sutton & Northampton shared a point.

In fact, every single team above us picked up points today, most of them 3.

Yes - but there will be games coming up where these teams play each other.  They won't all be able to get 3 points from every game!

Probably get slated for saying but I thought that was an awful game of football between two clubs who looked like they are going nowhere other than midtable.  A fantastic advert for league 2 earlier in the season when we played them, for any neutral watching today, it would have been a shocker and if you had 2 stewards in either goal would have remained goalless.  I get we have injuries but Conlon, Gibbons and Worrall have been playing regularly in the 9 games before where we have been really poor.  I just wanted something to get me out of my seat but there was nothing there at all. I don't get why we have the keeper in injury time acting like we are nil nil at Man City, they were dreadful and I think any of the other top teams would have won there today.

The only positives were yet another good showing from Hall and Walker who were excellent but we desperately need another midfielder bringing in before next week.  If the manager wants to persist with that formation, it has to be Cass, Hall and Jones as the back 3.  Smith and Martin has the wide centre backs offer nothing going forward which you need if playing this way and if we are going to play with no wingers and 2 up front, it means Amoo should not be out there, he will never ever be a striker.  Sorry for the moan but I just don't see how we are going to turn this around and what looked like a great season is turning looks like it is going horribly wrong.  I hope I am proved wrong but unless we get some creativity into that team this season will turn in a damp squib.

Archived