• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Appeal for Calm

Powerline

Time to reset have a look at what's going wrong on the pitch at present and try to amend it .

I am no happy clapper by any means but I've mainly enjoyed our games this season I'm a contented fan if I see a performance as I ain't being every game I can safely say that only on one  occassion have I come away from the games feeling we didn't do ourselves justice the game Walsall at home where we were just rubbish .

I've seen defeats v Sunderland (league cup)Brentford (FA Cup)and Rochdale but in all those games came home no voice in general enjoyed our attacking efforts not so much the defensive efforts but in  a positive go at the opposition way yeah they played well in general .

So no panic theres still a lot be positive about the crowds are good for the Vale this  season so there's proof that what DC and DF and Carol and Kevin are trying to achieve is I think attracting folk (more than usual I'd say ) so that's a major positive .

The covid break 4 Games cancelled and the injuries to all our forwards as derailed us somewhat but not to the point where our season is over however we cannot and must not ever perform to the poor level we showed the  paying public on sat too often if so then all the early season work was for nothing  

As a fan we just need play our part by getting behind all the players and more so than ever this evening v Salford 

Edited by Breadwinner
  • Like 1

Advert:

9 hours ago, philmpv said:
9 hours ago, Powerline said:
You demonstrate it yourself by saying automatics are beyond us - on what grounds? There’s over half the season left yet, one bad half against Swindon doesn’t define our season.

Only a Vale fan could, with a straight face, say that the automatic promotion places are beyond us, when winning our 2 games in hand alone would get us in there. Unbelievable stuff atm

Was just going say the same 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Runaway leaders FGR on their own turf. Barely gave them a kick in anger. 

Absolutely - On that day I would say they are the worst team we have played this season - As Walsall and Swindon fans could say the same about us - thats Division 2 all over, but no way are we out of it in the slightest, although I do think FGR are a cert.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

C0A26532-BB42-4267-8D65-5B1F93A9017C.thumb.jpeg.e3b87acf3b93e01dce79097ef5f706aa.jpeg

so if we win tonight, that's 38 points, repeat that then we are well in the top 7 as everyone else has played more games. another few wins that we should have picked up first time around and that's top 3. Just need to navigate this tough patch with stop-start games.

if we lose tonight then it's not complete panic stations, that puts us on 35 at halfway, 70 + a win in retaliation at the billboard and we are in the playoffs at least.

Advert:

No one gets promoted in January but you have to be there or thereabouts in the league which we have are.

Yes the COVID break, recent results and player departures have and will have an impact but that will be true for a lot of clubs.

Keeping the faith and see where we end up around Easter before commenting on the season.

• Like 1

You need on average 83 points for the top 3 over the last 7 seasons.

Every year from 2014-15 to 2017-18 you needed 85. Last couple of full seasons you needed lower (79).

We're gonna need 2 points per game to even have a reasonable chance - 80 points = 45 points from 22. Clarke is a bit of a streaky manager - can rattle off 8 wins then slump a bit. 

It's why I don't really get caught up in the 'games in hand' or 'what are Tranmere doing'; it doesn't really matter. We have to get to about 83 points if we want to avoid the playoffs - 85 to be sure. Whether the points come now or later is immaterial.

Clarke has experience of winning playoffs so not a disaster if it were to happen.

Edited by Joe B

I have a pessimistic mind often but this is way over the top.

Politic was always likely to leave sooner or later. He was a great option to have on the bench and is a talented boy but let's not act like he was the League Two Lionel Messi. When he did start he generally offered little and looked a bit out of place in our system.

Gibbons leaving will be a big blow, but we've been without him in the past when he's been out injured for a long spell, and we have a more the able replacement in Hussey, albeit they have different strengths. But Hussey and Hall for Gibbons and Legge doesn't look like a step down in quality to me.

Saturday was a poor day but it happens to every side in League Two. Forest Green are running away with it but look how bang average they looked on the day when we beat them away some months back. Win tonight and everyone will be much more positive once again. I just hope we come out and take the game to Salford. Earlier on in the season we were all over teams in the first half an hour at Vale Park and we need to get back to that instead of allowing the opposition to settle from the first minute, as we allowed Swindon.

Edited by Beech
  • Like 3

Advert:

11 hours ago, Powerline said:

You demonstrate it yourself by saying automatics are beyond us - on what grounds? There’s over half the season left yet, one bad half against Swindon doesn’t define our season.

Totally agree.....

Even the Stokies @ BET 365 only have us at 5/2 for a top three finish & just 2/1 "For promotion" this morning......

Everything to play for and a massive 3 points awaiting  tonight I hope.......😁🙏

Edited by sheffield61
Spelling

51 minutes ago, Joe B said:

You need on average 83 points for the top 3 over the last 7 seasons.

Every year from 2014-15 to 2017-18 you needed 85. Last couple of full seasons you needed lower (79).

We're gonna need 2 points per game to even have a reasonable chance - 80 points = 45 points from 22. Clarke is a bit of a streaky manager - can rattle off 8 wins then slump a bit. 

It's why I don't really get caught up in the 'games in hand' or 'what are Tranmere doing'; it doesn't really matter. We have to get to about 83 points if we want to avoid the playoffs - 85 to be sure. Whether the points come now or later is immaterial.

Clarke has experience of winning playoffs so not a disaster if it were to happen.

I know our views are poles apart on the games in hand scenarios and I completely agree about its all about a final points tally.

But I do think it's psychological and also an added pressure.  Take Tranmere 10 ahead of us. What a great cushion to have, games banked, 3 less games for injury or suspension. 

There was a good discussion on Quest about Wigan having 5 games in hand and only 4 points behind. Could actually lose 3 of the 5 and still be top.

We are very different in the gap is bigger. Failure to win tonight for example puts us 9 behind with 2 in hand. 

Also our games in hand aren't exactly Scunthorpe or the like.

I'm only speaking personally but there's a definite psychy to it. 

• Like 1

On the face of it there's no reason why we shouldn't win. We're in a much better position than we would have been on boxing day injury wise and squad wise. DC has essentially swapped Politic for a top CB for the league, a quality wingback from the league above and 2 strikers with great potential, one of of which has already hit the ground running! I say it's basically Politic in exchange for them because the other players would not be considered first team options anyway. Let's not overthink it. Lost to Newport with no strikers, lost with 10 men on Saturday and we could have easily turned it round in the second half, it's not like Hartlepool have just lashed us 0-10 at home and we played a full strength team. There is genuinely no need to panic and the situation will look even better in a week's time when other exciting signings come in, which will be being sorted out right now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1 said:

On the face of it there's no reason why we shouldn't win. We're in a much better position than we would have been on boxing day injury wise and squad wise. DC has essentially swapped Politic for a top CB for the league, a quality wingback from the league above and 2 strikers with great potential, one of of which has already hit the ground running! I say it's basically Politic in exchange for them because the other players would not be considered first team options anyway. Let's not overthink it. Lost to Newport with no strikers, lost with 10 men on Saturday and we could have easily turned it round in the second half, it's not like Hartlepool have just lashed us 0-10 at home and we played a full strength team. There is genuinely no need to panic and the situation will look even better in a week's time when other exciting signings come in, which will be being sorted out right now.

Think it was the performance against Swindon more than the loss that was concerning. With 11 men on the pitch we were absolutely rotten. But poor halves of football do happen, of course, even to much better teams than ourselves, and Saturday just might have been a game of two halves had it not been for our keeper.

Surely we'll see a reaction tonight and we'll look much more at it from the first whistle? If we give another lethargic performance then it might be time to be genuinely concerned.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 1 said:

lost with 10 men on Saturday and we could have easily turned it round in the second half

Agree with the rest of your post but I also have to agree with Beechy’s response to this. We were appalling with 11 men for 45 minutes, that half time formation and plan change would have had to have been a tactical masterclass to change it round.

I know we were rusty after 5 weeks off but we were so awful, deep, weak and incoherent we made Swindon look like another Brentford. 

That is concerning however someone wants to dress it up. As is why we have a consistency to starting slowly and meekly handing over control of the game early on without any fight.

• Like 1

Advert:

14 minutes ago, Doha said:

Agree with the rest of your post but I also have to agree with Beechy’s response to this. We were appalling with 11 men for 45 minutes, that half time formation and plan change would have had to have been a tactical masterclass to change it round.

I know we were rusty after 5 weeks off but we were so awful, deep, weak and incoherent we made Swindon look like another Brentford. 

That is concerning however someone wants to dress it up. As is why we have a consistency to starting slowly and meekly handing over control of the game early on without any fight.

Yes "easily" is a stretch, we could have maybe turned it round and given them a fight in the second half, especially going in at 1-1 with changes from DC to get them going. I really think scrapping for the ball, high energy and pressing is half the fight for points in this league; then sprinkles of quality, experience and consistency settle the league standings. No pressing, no points. This 532/352 formation relies on good retention of the ball, as it's hard to press when we lose it. We'll win tonight though with a new sense of urgency after DCs probable-hairdryer.

Edited by 1