onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Appeal for Calm

Powerline

2 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

Realistically we have suffered from over a months inactivity plus a group of main players out injured for weeks, it will take weeks for these players to get back to where they were. As a consequence I do not think we will be in the mix at the end of the season. This aside I think progress has been made this season and do think that next season will be the one for us 

Careful, you’ll be getting called out by having a slightly different view point. But I agree. Don’t see the drop-off-cliff downturn from last year but, as I said, just don’t see that consistent run needed til the end of the season. And I’ll happily eat a couple of large Humble Pies with extra custard when we win the next 10 on the spin and are chasing FGR.

Advert

I’m confess there are a few games I haven’t seen this season, but I haven’t seen a game where we have controlled a half like Swindon did against us on Saturday.
Irrespective, my point was that, save for another daft thread that’s also popped up tonight asking what’s going on, I don’t think anyone was particularly panicking, even me who doesn’t think we’ll get promoted.

FGR away controlled both halves not just one

Time to reset have a look at what's going wrong on the pitch at present and try to amend it .

I am no happy clapper by any means but I've mainly enjoyed our games this season I'm a contented fan if I see a performance as I ain't being every game I can safely say that only on one  occassion have I come away from the games feeling we didn't do ourselves justice the game Walsall at home where we were just rubbish .

I've seen defeats v Sunderland (league cup)Brentford (FA Cup)and Rochdale but in all those games came home no voice in general enjoyed our attacking efforts not so much the defensive efforts but in  a positive go at the opposition way yeah they played well in general .

So no panic theres still a lot be positive about the crowds are good for the Vale this  season so there's proof that what DC and DF and Carol and Kevin are trying to achieve is I think attracting folk (more than usual I'd say ) so that's a major positive .

The covid break 4 Games cancelled and the injuries to all our forwards as derailed us somewhat but not to the point where our season is over however we cannot and must not ever perform to the poor level we showed the  paying public on sat too often if so then all the early season work was for nothing  

As a fan we just need play our part by getting behind all the players and more so than ever this evening v Salford 

9 hours ago, philmpv said:
9 hours ago, Powerline said:
You demonstrate it yourself by saying automatics are beyond us - on what grounds? There’s over half the season left yet, one bad half against Swindon doesn’t define our season.

Only a Vale fan could, with a straight face, say that the automatic promotion places are beyond us, when winning our 2 games in hand alone would get us in there. Unbelievable stuff atm

Was just going say the same 🙂

8 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Runaway leaders FGR on their own turf. Barely gave them a kick in anger. 

Absolutely - On that day I would say they are the worst team we have played this season - As Walsall and Swindon fans could say the same about us - thats Division 2 all over, but no way are we out of it in the slightest, although I do think FGR are a cert.

10 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

C0A26532-BB42-4267-8D65-5B1F93A9017C.thumb.jpeg.e3b87acf3b93e01dce79097ef5f706aa.jpeg

so if we win tonight, that's 38 points, repeat that then we are well in the top 7 as everyone else has played more games. another few wins that we should have picked up first time around and that's top 3. Just need to navigate this tough patch with stop-start games.

You need on average 83 points for the top 3 over the last 7 seasons.

Every year from 2014-15 to 2017-18 you needed 85. Last couple of full seasons you needed lower (79).

We're gonna need 2 points per game to even have a reasonable chance - 80 points = 45 points from 22. Clarke is a bit of a streaky manager - can rattle off 8 wins then slump a bit. 

It's why I don't really get caught up in the 'games in hand' or 'what are Tranmere doing'; it doesn't really matter. We have to get to about 83 points if we want to avoid the playoffs - 85 to be sure. Whether the points come now or later is immaterial.

Clarke has experience of winning playoffs so not a disaster if it were to happen.

I have a pessimistic mind often but this is way over the top.

Politic was always likely to leave sooner or later. He was a great option to have on the bench and is a talented boy but let's not act like he was the League Two Lionel Messi. When he did start he generally offered little and looked a bit out of place in our system.

Gibbons leaving will be a big blow, but we've been without him in the past when he's been out injured for a long spell, and we have a more the able replacement in Hussey, albeit they have different strengths. But Hussey and Hall for Gibbons and Legge doesn't look like a step down in quality to me.

Saturday was a poor day but it happens to every side in League Two. Forest Green are running away with it but look how bang average they looked on the day when we beat them away some months back. Win tonight and everyone will be much more positive once again. I just hope we come out and take the game to Salford. Earlier on in the season we were all over teams in the first half an hour at Vale Park and we need to get back to that instead of allowing the opposition to settle from the first minute, as we allowed Swindon.

11 hours ago, Powerline said:

You demonstrate it yourself by saying automatics are beyond us - on what grounds? There’s over half the season left yet, one bad half against Swindon doesn’t define our season.

Totally agree.....

Even the Stokies @ BET 365 only have us at 5/2 for a top three finish & just 2/1 "For promotion" this morning......

Everything to play for and a massive 3 points awaiting  tonight I hope.......😁🙏

51 minutes ago, Joe B said:

You need on average 83 points for the top 3 over the last 7 seasons.

Every year from 2014-15 to 2017-18 you needed 85. Last couple of full seasons you needed lower (79).

We're gonna need 2 points per game to even have a reasonable chance - 80 points = 45 points from 22. Clarke is a bit of a streaky manager - can rattle off 8 wins then slump a bit. 

It's why I don't really get caught up in the 'games in hand' or 'what are Tranmere doing'; it doesn't really matter. We have to get to about 83 points if we want to avoid the playoffs - 85 to be sure. Whether the points come now or later is immaterial.

Clarke has experience of winning playoffs so not a disaster if it were to happen.

I know our views are poles apart on the games in hand scenarios and I completely agree about its all about a final points tally.

But I do think it's psychological and also an added pressure.  Take Tranmere 10 ahead of us. What a great cushion to have, games banked, 3 less games for injury or suspension. 

There was a good discussion on Quest about Wigan having 5 games in hand and only 4 points behind. Could actually lose 3 of the 5 and still be top.

We are very different in the gap is bigger. Failure to win tonight for example puts us 9 behind with 2 in hand. 

Also our games in hand aren't exactly Scunthorpe or the like.

I'm only speaking personally but there's a definite psychy to it. 

Archived