Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

15 minutes ago, Beech said:

You can't play him and Worrall together though. That's "Askey-ball".

It was slightly facetious - I just thought that, two years after nearly getting into the playoffs, we wouldn't be relying on the same two wingers (both in their 30s) to create. That would be a blip in recruitment. It's not like we have many injuries out wide (just Hurst iirc) - just no one else can play there!

I'm just surprised that, when considering a change to the system, we're back at square 1 with the same creative players. We might start them and we might do well, it's just come as a surprise to me considering the overhaul we've seen.

Edited by Joe B

Advert:

What I want:

Stone

Cass Hall Smith

Gibbo Pett Conlon Hussey

Worrall Edmonson Harratt

What will happen:

Stone

Cass Hall Smith

Worrall Pett Walker Conlon Hussey

Wilson Harratt

I see its being reported that Politic has gone back to his club as he's been signed by a team in Italy.  Gonna miss him - stylish player and good finisher.  Good luck to him.

Need the rest to step up to the mark now.

I think we have a good chance of getting something out of tonight's game.  Be nice to keep a clean sheet.

I'm going 2-nil Vale.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, MelbourneValiant said:

A lone striker? At home against Salford due to being scared of conceding? Is this how far we feel we have fallen.

To be honest if we allow that lad forget his name Hunter think his name is pop shots from outside the area he will undoubtedly net by picking that said formation is actually to not concede firstly and then build from there .

Swindon had a ridiculous amount of shots first half by the stats picking the side I picked originally is to close down the gaps and allow no shooting practice for Salford .

To be honest I'd prefer us be on the front foot but as me and the lads at work were saying last night we do not understand why players are not match fit they have played and kept themselves fit from a early age just a excuse really not put a shift in in my opinion .

Lers hope he chooses 11 players who have no excuses players who will want to win and losing is not a option .

Make no mistake about it Salford will be decent 

UTV 

22 minutes ago, Joe B said:

It was slightly facetious - I just thought that, two years after nearly getting into the playoffs, we wouldn't be relying on the same two wingers (both in their 30s) to create. That would be a blip in recruitment. It's not like we have many injuries out wide (just Hurst iirc) - just no one else can play there!

I'm just surprised that, when considering a change to the system, we're back at square 1 with the same creative players. We might start them and we might do well, it's just come as a surprise to me considering the overhaul we've seen.

Well it's not just the two wide players that would be tasked to create. The likes of Conlon and Garrity also. I'm not saying we should start every game 4-3-3 with Worrall and Amoo supporting a single striker. But I don't think it's a bad option for certain games. Worrall is a winger that can do a job as a wing-back. As one of our best players, for me, he should be starting in the position where we can get the most out of him. And while I've never been Amoo's biggest fan, he has pace, and sometimes that's enough to cause mayhem against League Two sides if used correctly. I think Edmondson can also be used on the left of a front three which gives another option, as would the return of Rodney.

Edited by Beech

Advert:

Wanted 433 for this game, thought it suited us perfectly. However, now we have lost politic it has to be 352 again. I’d imagine, the same 11 as Saturday (other than covolan) I’d like to see Edmonson given a start over Wilson, give Wilson a run out last 30 if we’re winning comfortably. 

I'd like to see us revert back to a system where we can change formation during the game. A left field selection but I would spring a surprise ,start 4231 but could easily revert back to 352 or 343 during the game. I like the potential partnership down both flanks which would cause any teams problems. I know Hussey is not a winger but we need him out in space to whip the ball in the box high up the pitch to do damage. I think  Benning would look much better in a back 4 where he can overlap a player in front of him. Also gets Conlon further up the pitch to influence the game. Obviously assumes Gibbo is available.

Stone

Gibbo Smith Hall Benning

Walker Pett

Wozza    Conlon   Hussey

Wils      Harrat

Subs; Amoo,Edmondson,Garrity,Martin,Rodney (if fit),Draw a lottery for the final 2 places.

• Like 1

Absolutely no problem with the current management set up and a blip was unfortunately inevitable given we had about a month off. 

My biggest concern is the injury list and I just hope Proctor can come back soon. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

What I want:

Stone

Cass Hall Smith

Gibbo Pett Conlon Hussey

Worrall Edmonson Harratt

What will happen:

Stone

Cass Hall Smith

Worrall Pett Walker Conlon Hussey

Wilson Harratt

No Garrity?

Advert:

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Wanted 433 for this game, thought it suited us perfectly. However, now we have lost politic it has to be 352 again. I’d imagine, the same 11 as Saturday (other than covolan) I’d like to see Edmonson given a start over Wilson, give Wilson a run out last 30 if we’re winning comfortably. 

Not sure it has to be 352 again, for me Worrall and Amoo either side of Harratt and lets start on the front foot instead of sitting back.

16 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Not sure it has to be 352 again, for me Worrall and Amoo either side of Harratt and lets start on the front foot instead of sitting back.

Forgot about Amoo to be honest. I’d go 433 then like you, can’t see DC doing that though if he didn’t when we had politic. 

9 minutes ago, Powerline said:

I understand the calls to drop Wilson since he was so ineffective, but he’s never going to get match fit again if we don’t play him. Has to play for me.

I’d prefer to get him fit by bringing him on if we’re in a comfortable position. Just looks way off it to me. I’d look to bring him on at 60 mins if all going to plan tonight 

Advert:

Not saying it couldn’t happen but if Garrity is fit I’d be amazed if he was dropped if we play the current formation.  Even if we change formation I’d still be surprised, unless the manager simply wants to give Walker a run out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

Just been thinking that years ago there used be one sub on the bench with the manager and that was it this playing see what the opposition are like first half then having make substitutions second half to change it round is a bit concerning as by the time you make the subs the games already lost at times and also you asking why ain't you starting the game with the second half formation as every passing minute when behind in a game you are one mistake from being in a terrible situation come first half end .

Last time we played well was in the league Bristol Rovers away we were  superb in that first half with Conlon and Gibbons and Garrity starring .

Tonight we need to show character from the off if there's a ball be won win it ,if there's a incoming shot from the opposition block it (the amount of times I see a shot fly in with no real determination block it from our middle centre half is  shocking for league 2 level that's one area where we are sadly lacking but he is a fans favourite and fights with the opposition however he may win the ball in the air from goal kicks from opposition funny how he never wins anything from our set piece situations and when he does its once in a blue moon but still after 4 managers and all of them getting fired he remains a favourite of the manager but he certainly ain't mine   needs be replaced by someone better in both boxes who blocks incoming shots not because he isn't a warrior because he is at times not that will sit well with people on this site but  come on we need better than him if we want to progress and still be challenging come season end ).

Lets see who wants it tonight the players owe the fans a big performance are they capable I'd say YES and in 7 hrs time we will find out 

UTV 

You say the last time we played well was against Bristol Rovers. Well since then we played Newport away with no available  forwards in the side and were winning until the 70th minute . Since then we have only played Brentford who we did play well against and Swindon where we didn't, so not sure what your point is.

Edited by mbycars