Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

Not a must win but a very much like to win.

Wilson doesn't look physically fit to me never mind match fit.

I see every reason to play Gibboo unless he's not our player or it's an injury issue.

Walker at DM and one of Walker or Pett be under orders to be behind the ball at all times to cover against the counter attack.

Garrity to play just behind Harratt and in front of the midfield.

Try and get Wilson and Rodney on for match fitness.

I'd prefer a system with 4 at the back but Vale need a bit of "consistency" at the moment.

Stone

Cass Smith Hall

Worrall Pett Walker Conlon Gibbo

Garrity Harratt

Subs: Rodney, Wilson, Hussey,  Edmonson, Martin, Benning, Bailey.

If it was a 4 at the back:

Stone

Gibbo Smith Hall Hussey

Pett Walker Conlon

Worrall  Harratt  Garrity

Subs: Rodney, Wilson, Cass,  Edmonson, Martin, Benning, Bailey.

Edited by Paul6754

Advert:

hoping that whatever system/team is chosen that we dont completely lose the midfield battle as we did on saturday, and also at the Walsall game. A win would give us some much needed impetus.

• Like 1

Gibbons starting and a win and a lot of the understandable anxiety of the last 24 hours will subside.

Daren't think about the opposite.

Can't see a change from wingbacks as without Politic we don't have the wingers for it.

Matchday  

Just brought me lad his ticket for tonight 20 he is and working yet  I am buying his match ticket .

Not that I mind big game this speaking to a cracking lad at work (stoke fan )he said what's happened to Tom Conlon he was watching on some format but said he was abysmal Saturday after seeing him play well v Bradford .

Maybe time take him out the team for a bit we cannot carry passengers every player needs to be at full tilt tonight as Salford have enough about them to cause us lots of problems if allowed to .

One of the biggest challenges of DCs management this tonight 3 defeats in a row fans getting restless super sub gone we need a big effort from.everyone tonight easy go games when winning I tend to want be there more when we are struggling because We All Vale aren't We ..

Cannot wait bring it everyone needs to cheer shout and use your influence to get extra from the players .

Being quiet and moaning achieves none of this .

Get behind the lads in Black and White 

UTV  

Edited by Breadwinner
  • Like 2

Advert:

22 minutes ago, Joe B said:

There are in talks to sign Matt Smith from Millwall. Hope he isn't signed by tonight - assumed he couldn't be registered anyways.

good

On 16/01/2022 at 14:57, Warren said:

Conlon looked like he was in a coma. If he is fit and ready to play then play him. But yesterday he was light years off the pace. Wilson too. Just because he played well earlier in the season doesn't mean he is ready to take the weight up front now. 

Aside from individual players struggling, we must look at the formation. Hussey at left back is much bigger player than Gibbo. So we can go 4 at the back without being vulnerable in the air. He is also confident on the ball and doesn't need an extra centre half to square to. Meanwhile that extra centre half left us overrun in midfield v Swindon; so either drop one out or play one that can really get on the ball and step into midfield. For me we need to go four at the back and get Worrall upfield. 

Harratt starts and I would give the other new player Edmondson a start. They have fantastic mobility and can press and run in behind. Even if Salford park the bus, Wilson isn't a full target man and so I think we need to move the ball quickly and try to get in behind down the flanks. Worrall and Gibbo down the right to do that - although I can accept Cass as well. If Amoo is ready he could come in as the fresh legs if needed. 

But actually I do think we need to win this. We have a series of difficult games coming up which could reverse our fortunes or see us off. So confidence building is essential on Tuesday. 

It's a lot to put on Edmondson and Harratt, but could work, just not in a 532 as they will be completely alone if we start launching the ball out of defence. I hate the system myself especially at home, but we've seen relative success with it so far.

Advert:

Wilson should be nowhere near the starting 11 right now. I don't care what he was doing weeks and weeks ago. Ease him back into things. We have Harratt and Edmondson we can use from the start. Sick and tired of this negative 5 at the back at home. If the opposition deal with our wing-backs it's a poor formation and allows the other team to dictate things if they have any sort of quality about them. Just go 4-3-3 and actually take the game to teams, as we generally were doing at home not so long ago.

Stone

Cass

Smith

Hall

Hussey

Walker

Conlon

Garritty

Worrall

Amoo

Harratt

Subs: Collinge, Martin, Gibbons?, Benning, Pett, Edmondson, Wilson

Edited by Beech

6 minutes ago, Beech said:

Amoo and Worrall?

Are we really running back Askeyball? I would have hoped we'd have upgraded.

If we've gone through all this overhaul just to go back to 433 with Amoo and Worrall then I give up 😂

Edited by Joe B
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Beech said:

Wilson should be nowhere near the starting 11 right now. I don't care what he was doing weeks and weeks ago. Ease him back into things. We have Harratt and Edmondson we can use from the start. Sick and tired of this negative 5 at the back at home. If the opposition deal with our wing-backs it's a poor formation and allows the other team to dictate things if they have any sort of quality about them. Just go 4-3-3 and actually take the game to teams, as we generally were doing at home not so long ago.

Stone

Cass

Smith

Hall

Hussey

Walker

Conlon

Garritty

Worrall

Amoo/Edmondson

Harratt

You’d play Cass over Gibbo? 

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

If we've gone through all this overhaul just to go back to 433 with Amoo and Worrall then I give up 😂

What? Worrall is much better as a right winger. You know, his actual position. And Amoo has been a wide player all of his career and still has something to offer. If he doesn't then what's the point of keeping him at the club? Because he sure isn't a striker.

Edited by Beech

Advert:

5 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

You’d play Cass over Gibbo? 

If Gibbons is on the verge of leaving, yes. If he's not then he would start.

Edited by Beech

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Know what you're saying but it's all about finding a way to win a game of football.  No use Clarke berating Askeys 4-3-3 if he is rigid 5-3-2 himself. 

At home I want to see us more expansive and on the front foot.

If that's 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 I don't see that as a regression or humble pie for Clarke either .

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Not a must win but a very much like to win.

Wilson doesn't look physically fit to me never mind match fit.

I see every reason to play Gibboo unless he's not our player or it's an injury issue.

Walker at DM and one of Walker or Pett be under orders to be behind the ball at all times to cover against the counter attack.

Garrity to play just behind Harratt and in front of the midfield.

Try and get Wilson and Rodney on for match fitness.

I'd prefer a system with 4 at the back but Vale need a bit of "consistency" at the moment.

Stone

Cass Smith Hall

Worrall Pett Walker Conlon Gibbo

Garrity Harratt

Subs: Rodney, Wilson, Hussey,  Edmonson, Martin, Benning, Bailey.

If it was a 4 at the back:

Stone

Gibbo Smith Hall Hussey

Pett Walker Conlon

Worrall  Harratt  Garrity

Subs: Rodney, Wilson, Cass,  Edmonson, Martin, Benning, Bailey.

What the hell did David Amoo do to you?