Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

Advert:

I said the other day we need to get that win asap in any way we can and then hopefully put a run together like the 8 game one,it can be done,Mansfield were relegation fodder a few months ago then they get a string of wins and now look,we just have to keep the faith right now,thats all we can do.

• Like 3

Most saying that we ditched the 532 formation, I thought last night it was the same, maybe after having a birthday drink prior to the game I couldn't see properly what was going on.  It looked like Gibbo Hall and Smith in the middle with Worrall and Hussey the wing backs, maybe I am wrong but that is how I saw it.  After giving it time to think about the performance, whilst definitely an improvement on Saturday's disaster, I am really worried that this season is going to turn into a missed opportunity.  We have players that look miles off what they were earlier in the season namely Pett, Smith and Worrall and I know he was injured last night but Conlon too.  There is something lacking from midfield and has been for the last 7/8 games, even before the enforced break and I think we need something different brining in.  I look at the table and while we still look in a decent position, the next couple of weeks are massive, we are now the same points off 3rd as we are ahead of 20th, just don't want to see us sliding down the table and end up with a season in midtable.

He's a fan favourite and he's never a player you criticise lightly, but I've never been the biggest fan of Nathan Smith and still think we can do better. He's brave and puts his head where some people wouldn't put there feet. But he's not quick, not particularly strong and his passing out from the back is Sunday league level at times. His passing just hasn't improved in any shape or form over the years.

It's early days but Hall has looked great so far. I'd like to see someone with legs that has a bit of pace alongside him in the near future.

Edited by Beech

He's a fan favourite and he's never a player you criticise lightly, but I've never been the biggest fan of Nathan Smith and still think we can do better. He's brave and puts his head where some people wouldn't put there feet. But he's not quick, not particularly strong and his passing out from the back is Sunday league level at times. His passing just hasn't improved in any shape or form over the years.
It's early days but Hall has looked great so far. I'd like to see someone with legs that has a bit of pace alongside him in the near future.
I think Cass and Jones either side of Hall would be our best back 3
  • Like 1

Advert:

7 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Most saying that we ditched the 532 formation, I thought last night it was the same, maybe after having a birthday drink prior to the game I couldn't see properly what was going on.  It looked like Gibbo Hall and Smith in the middle with Worrall and Hussey the wing backs, maybe I am wrong but that is how I saw it.  After giving it time to think about the performance, whilst definitely an improvement on Saturday's disaster, I am really worried that this season is going to turn into a missed opportunity.  We have players that look miles off what they were earlier in the season namely Pett, Smith and Worrall and I know he was injured last night but Conlon too.  There is something lacking from midfield and has been for the last 7/8 games, even before the enforced break and I think we need something different brining in.  I look at the table and while we still look in a decent position, the next couple of weeks are massive, we are now the same points off 3rd as we are ahead of 20th, just don't want to see us sliding down the table and end up with a season in midtable.

It was only an improvement because on that evidence, Salford are a much worse side than Swindon on every level.

Any team with genuine promotion aspirations would have beat them convincingly last night. They were woeful.

Edited by Beech

2 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I think Cass and Jones either side of Hall would be our best back 3

Exactly what I would go for right now. I don't mind Smith as part of the squad. Just don't believe he should be an automatic starter every game as he is when fit.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Beech said:

Think extremely harsh saying hes not strong one of the strongest players ive seen. And anyone who plays with him says the same also hes a league 2 centre back maybe if our midfield decided to pass the ball forward instead of constantly passing him the ball we would play better. 

• Like 2

Advert:

31 minutes ago, Beech said:

If only we had a player like Dan jones

• Like 2

Cass has been garbage for weeks 
And he was excellent before that. What's your point? That he's suddenly a 'garbage' player who should never play for us again as poor form cannot be forgiven? Who's ahead of him on form? I'd rather an out of form Cass on the right side than Smith any day of the week

5 minutes ago, philmpv said:
29 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:
Cass has been garbage for weeks 

And he was excellent before that. What's your point? That he's suddenly a 'garbage' player? Who's ahead of him on form?

No im just saying your sayinf play cass but hes not been performing the same as the rest of them. This isnt a individual problem that we have at the moment the whole squad is under performing

No im just saying your sayinf play cass but hes not been performing the same as the rest of them. This isnt a individual problem that we have at the moment the whole squad is under performing
I don't disagree with that. But I definitely don't get your point now? If you're saying Cass has been garbage for weeks so don't play him but that he's performing the same as the rest of them. The only solution to that is not to play anybody then!

1 minute ago, philmpv said:

I don't disagree with that. But I definitely don't get your point now? If you're saying Cass has been garbage for weeks so don't play him but that he's performing the same as the rest of them. The only solution to that is not to play anybody then! emoji848.png

No the answer is to start playing to our potential. When we play well smith is normally instrumental to that in terms of keeping opposition's strikers quiet. Yes he is struggling as is everyone but this is a blip that is more a mental blip rather than lack of quality players 

Advert:

Just now, Vale1995 said:

No the answer is to start playing to our potential. When we play well smith is normally instrumental to that in terms of keeping opposition's strikers quiet. Yes he is struggling as is everyone but this is a blip that is more a mental blip rather than lack of quality players 

And down to how were set up and the mindset we go into games 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, philmpv said:

Ah, got you. Have you contacted DC with that managerial gold nugget? He may not have thought of it emoji6.png

Well no thats his job to get us doing that which over the past 7 games hes failed at.