Jump to content

Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City


Fosse69

Recommended Posts

Just shows that you need to take your chances, they took theirs and then spent the entire second half hoofing it anywhere. 
 

I think our main attacking drive and impetus comes from players like Worrall, Garrity and gibbo (he has to start). The quality second half from Worrall and Garrity was lacking though. The left hand side had nowhere near as much of the ball nor any real drive in them as a pairing, yet having said that Amoo should have got a <ovf censored> away much sooner second half after some great work in the box. Hussey to my mind is a traditional stay at home left back. He got a couple of decent balls into the box and that summed up our problem for me. We probably missed Conlons quality at times. But we’ve spent all season playing some great football between wingbacks, midfielders and forwards to enable us to get into the box, (just take a look back at highlights to see how many chances and goals weve got from cutbacks), yet we’ve brought Hussey in who doesn’t look like he has the engine for that. So we’ve resorted to lumping crosses in. But for who? We don’t have a strong striker in the box. Strikers weren’t coming to feet so we could play those triangles into the box. To me it looks like we’ve changed our way of playing halfway through the season and on the last 2 games it isn’t effective enough. I can understand us not being as fluid given the new signings being integrated and I don’t believe we’ve had much chance to do anything in training since Saturdays game either. Back to the drawing board I think for Saturday. 

Edited by PV1973

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Powerline said:

Yes he was playing very well before injury, people have short memories.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, I'm saying can we rely on a striker who has 4 league goals and two children?

Edited by Joe B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A genuine question, and this isn't based on his performance tonight - is James Wilson as good as we are thinking?

He has 4 league goals. It's him and two kids till Proctor is back. Is that going to be enough, even when fit?

No...........

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

Smith's most overrated defender ever. Can't run too small can't pass. No positional awareness.

Really?  Okay. You are entitled to your opinion. Let's ship him out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A genuine question, and this isn't based on his performance tonight - is James Wilson as good as we are thinking?

He has 4 league goals. It's him and two kids till Proctor is back. Is that going to be enough, even when fit?

Yes. Had just had a purple patch when he got his injury.  Clearly took him a while to get going at the start of the season but some of his touches and link up play are sublime. 

Him and Proctor were beginning to be a real force.

I'm as peed off as everyone else but I'm convinced a freak set of injuries nobody could of forseen has totally derailed our season. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did snap second half and screamed at Gibbo to look forward and go forward. Put the ball skillfully forward into an area that must be defended. No marks for going side to side or eternally backwards. This is a coaching problem!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I'm not saying he's a bad player, I'm saying can we rely on a striker who has 4 league goals and two children?

Nope. That’s one reason why we’re buggered at the moment. Got an unfit Wilson and our two other best strikers out injured.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are a team totally lacking in belief.

Sometimes we play badly sometimes we play well.

But however we play I don't at anytime see  that the players really believe they will win!

Oh for an infusion of whatever Sutton are on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Yep, disaster. Garrity can't play in a 2 man midfield as he can't control a football. Walker can't move. Smith and Martin shouldn't be allowed to touch the ball with anything but their feet. It was excruciating. Couple of lads up top without a clue of what to do. Amoo and Worrall waiting out wide to hammer a cross into the first man. Class.

Spot on

Gone back two years tonight. Worst two center backs you could choose to " play football ". Two man midfield, second half, absolute garbage and should never ever play there again. Two young lads trying and showing glimpses but both could have been replaced at half time. Amoo and Worral out wide. Did Worral ever get a cross past the defender. He has lost his pace/sharpness.

We then expect to score goals with all of that going on !!!

 

What it shows me is that for the first 15 games we were successful by playing Cass and Jones in the back three. Their surges forward drove the team forward and helped us to create chances. Sadlly missing their movement, even though i thought it weakened us at the back because they are not out and out defenders. They have to be back on Saturday, oh and Jones is the only player who can take a throw in. Tonights throws were awful, disgusting. Smith in between them so no place for Hall. This probably made the midfield look better than it really is. Conlan is not having ' a great season ' Garrity really is hit and miss. Great when in the box and looking busy but not a midfielder.

 

We desperately need a wide man. We need competition / replacement for Worral. Not sure if he is worn out, shattered or has just lost his spark but he has plenty of the ball but offers very little creativity with it. Weve seen Amoo for two years and no he is not the answer. Neither is Rodney. We need a winger now.

 

Come on D C  Take the plaudits when all is going well. Now is the time to earn your keep. Owners are backing you all the way. Its your team, you are in charge. You sort it, but quick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, connor hackett said:

I'm hoping this transfer window can deliver a center back who can actually control and pass a football, and a midfielder who can drive us forward. Little bit of luck first half and we would of comfortably won tonight second half reeked of desperation. The worst part of tonight was the performance of a section of our so called supporters. The negativity in the stands transfers itself to the pitch. This is why I prefer away days, we seem to get behind the players more and lift them when we're on the road. Bad day at the office, everyone's frustrated, put it behind us and get behind the team. We need a 12th man on the terraces, not a load of whinging voices.

I think this was borne out of genuine frustration at the times the ball went back to the CB’s to then do 3/4 sideways passes back and forth and end up absolutely no further toward. And understandably so.

We couldn’t have been less creative in that 2nd half if we’d have tossed Martin up front for the last 20 mins and lobbed long ball in the box for him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I thought we were ok tonight but didn’t get the rub of the green. We seem to be going through one of those stages where nothing is going for us. 
the goal was really disappointing as Stone could have simply picked the ball up just before instead of slicing his kick. We still look short up front and in midfield especially with Conlon and Proctor out. I thought DC’s decision taking Pett off was a mistake as we then had no one to get possession of the scraps in midfield. Oh well let’s hope better times are round the corner. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always feel a bit better after I've listened to DC interviews. Spoke well again. Also confirmed that we were in for Politic but that he's not going to break the wage structure that has been set up for 1 x player.

Fair play.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Spot on

Gone back two years tonight. Worst two center backs you could choose to " play football ". Two man midfield, second half, absolute garbage and should never ever play there again. Two young lads trying and showing glimpses but both could have been replaced at half time. Amoo and Worral out wide. Did Worral ever get a cross past the defender. He has lost his pace/sharpness.

We then expect to score goals with all of that going on !!!

 

What it shows me is that for the first 15 games we were successful by playing Cass and Jones in the back three. Their surges forward drove the team forward and helped us to create chances. Sadlly missing their movement, even though i thought it weakened us at the back because they are not out and out defenders. They have to be back on Saturday, oh and Jones is the only player who can take a throw in. Tonights throws were awful, disgusting. Smith in between them so no place for Hall. This probably made the midfield look better than it really is. Conlan is not having ' a great season ' Garrity really is hit and miss. Great when in the box and looking busy but not a midfielder.

 

We desperately need a wide man. We need competition / replacement for Worral. Not sure if he is worn out, shattered or has just lost his spark but he has plenty of the ball but offers very little creativity with it. Weve seen Amoo for two years and no he is not the answer. Neither is Rodney. We need a winger now.

 

Come on D C  Take the plaudits when all is going well. Now is the time to earn your keep. Owners are backing you all the way. Its your team, you are in charge. You sort it, but quick.

I thought that first half we had that movement down the right between Worrall and Gibbo. We had a lot of joy down their left hand side attacking wise. It was only when Hall went off and Hussey and Smtih became the 2 outside centre halves that it changed and they didn’t support the attacks as much.

I agree on a winger, Worrall looked shattered second half and his quality dipped. Add to that Politic going and I think need someone else coming in to freshen up that area for when we do change formation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Nathan Smith is 25 and has 355 games under his belt. He is the most technically inept footballer I've ever seen. He's a good scrapper, but has played every game in a defence which has kept 1 clean sheet in 13. I feel nauseous when he gets the ball. Genuinely think Reg had better vision. 

Thats the thought of many fans about Smith. He is a scrapper certainly not a footballer. Play him in the center of a three and tell him to battle a big center forward and " if he wants it on the day " he is as good as it gets. His performance tonight was back to very poor. Martin was even worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, connor hackett said:

I'm hoping this transfer window can deliver a center back who can actually control and pass a football, and a midfielder who can drive us forward. Little bit of luck first half and we would of comfortably won tonight second half reeked of desperation. The worst part of tonight was the performance of a section of our so called supporters. The negativity in the stands transfers itself to the pitch. This is why I prefer away days, we seem to get behind the players more and lift them when we're on the road. Bad day at the office, everyone's frustrated, put it behind us and get behind the team. We need a 12th man on the terraces, not a load of whinging voices.

Ooooh...you're a brave man! But - well said!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Dan Jones being on form was far more important than we realised. Since he went off the boil (Walsall), things haven't looked right.

A pacey leftie with the ability to pass out of defence and take throw ins would have solved a fair few issues tonight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...