Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

Advert:

10 minutes ago, dantheman said:

Were we? Result says not. We huffed and puffed at times but ultimately we went no where. 

Keep buying defenders and still can’t defend for toffee. When was the last time we kept a clean sheet?

Let’s not butter this up either we have lost 5 of the last 7 in the league with some absolute embarrassing preformances both collectively and individually. 

Promotion is looking like a distant dream currently. 

General consensus on here is that we were much better in the first half. Stats show 17 shots to their 3, in total. So we can't be getting worse game after game? Promotion is still a strong possibility - there's still half a season to go.

• Like 1

Due to clear lack of confidence at the moment, I feel that our approach needs to mirror that of when Clarke took over and eventually started to get wins.
That approach being to go out 'NOT TO LOSE'. Can't remember the last clean sheet. Feel like we need to build from the back again until our confidence improves.
We need to get something (even a point) from each game - need to something/ a foundation to build on.

Agree with this . What worries me is that we have lost a few players who were maybe more capable of that ‘back to basics approach ‘

I’m not panicking yet but the run of fixtures does look tough

Fans on players backs etc doesn’t help though

Advert:

Sutton 1-2 down at half time score in the 92nd minute to win 3-2. That's what automatic promotion teams are made of and they've done it on a fairly consistent basis this season. Including against us. Habit of winning.

We had our moment v Orient but a team going for promotion turns that game around tonight even after going 1-0 down. We don't have the belief at the moment.

Edited by ValeForever.
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

If anyone was in any doubt, we’ve well and truly been sussed out now. So some of the issues we need to address:

1) We are trying to ‘play the right way’ and move the ball quickly but the players are just too static and do not play quick give and go’s in triangles like other teams to do.

2) We have few actual footballers. Smith for example is absolutely awful with the ball at his feet, his sideways passes are so slow that they allow the opposition to close the spaces easily, and as he have no ball carriers in midfield, as we did tonight, we then resort to lumping long as ultimately losing possession.

3) We are not very good at defending. Ok, we were unlucky to lose Hall who was having another solid game and I said as soon as Martin came on that we better score because we never keep clean sheets when he’s on the pitch. And hey presto, look what happens….

4) Apart from maybe Gibbo, none of our regulars have any real pace. Amoo is a little erratic, Rodney completely off the boil and… then who?? 

5) Powder puff up front, as expected when you have a (quality) centre forward in his mid 20’s who even at peak fitness is buggered after 55 mins, and as today you are relying on unproven kids. 

6) Complete lack of passion. Again, Gibbo apart, didn’t see ‘robust’ tackle from anyone on our side, we seem content at the moment just to accept things.

They were easily the worst team I’ve seen this season and yes, we carved out chances first half which we should have taken before the absolute gift of a goal, and a messy, downright horrible and very dispiriting 2nd half.

Im struggling to see how Clark can shuffle the pack to get a result at Orient. I don’t know what changes (if any) they have made in the Transfer window or what their injury situation is, but they looked a decent outfit when we played them at home, and where thankful for a bit of late Politic magic to equalise and turn the tide in our favour for Proctors winner. Whatever happened to those two….?

Agree with everything there mate.

The current strike force and the complete lack of any pace could kill us. 

Just now, Joe B said:

Thought his inability to do anything with the ball was criminal. It's painful. He just hasn't progressed at all. A good battler but the ball needs to be kept well away from his feet. 

Thought he defended well and kept his distribution clean and simple to a Vale man.  He's not Beckenbauer.  All opinions, but thought he had a good game tonight. 

2 minutes ago, valiantastic said:

from the last few games i’ve seen, we need a defender who controls that back line. Smith is still quite inexperienced and naive to be honest and isn’t that vocal and martin is good on the ball but again not that vocal. i felt our leader at the back was legge and it showed in the start of clarke’s reign in the turn of the results and clean sheets but we move on from legge and should have a replacement for that central role who controls the back 3 if we continue to play this formation or do we go back to a 433 and try that out? 

I tend to agree with this.  I felt Hall going off, whilst not a turning point, negatively affected us.  Hopefully, what looked like a hamstring injury will turn out to be minor.

We haven’t looked particularly solid all season and Clarke needs to find a blend of 3 centre backs, in the current system, that works.

The game itself was your typical one team misses numerous chances, makes unforced sloppy mistakes culminating in a soft goal being conceded.  We’ve seen it countless times before.

Credit to Salford for the way they defended, other than that they were toss.

Advert:

Frustrating night against a poor Salford outfit. First half was ok with more shots blocked than I've seen in a while but it was a stinker of a second half with Vale unable to even threaten to break down their defence. A midfield of Walker, Pett and Garrity is far too predictable as they are all a much of muchness.  It's an area we need to strengthen especially with Conlon's rumoured departure. Up top we have two inexperienced players learning their trade which is not what we need right now. 

A genuine question, and this isn't based on his performance tonight - is James Wilson as good as we are thinking?

He has 4 league goals. It's him and two kids till Proctor is back. Is that going to be enough, even when fit?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

Have we ever won a game or actually played well when Smith has played right or left CB in a back 3?

I don’t think Smith is the problem, but he has to be played as a head and kick it defender (what he excels at) or not at all. 

Agree with this, he either plays in the centre or not at all. I’m pretty sure we’ll see another CH come in during the window. 

The players tried as hard as possible and the team is extremely unlucky to lose. Chances were not taken with Salford mounting great defence in their 6 yard box. 

I feel our wingback system is now understood and prepared for. Tonight we didn't pose sufficient forward threat down the middle of the pitch to cause space down the flanks. We also engaged in too much recycling side to side. Just push down the flanks when marked using short passing and work advances by a throw-in.  

• Like 1

Advert:

I'm hoping this transfer window can deliver a center back who can actually control and pass a football, and a midfielder who can drive us forward. Little bit of luck first half and we would of comfortably won tonight second half reeked of desperation. The worst part of tonight was the performance of a section of our so called supporters. The negativity in the stands transfers itself to the pitch. This is why I prefer away days, we seem to get behind the players more and lift them when we're on the road. Bad day at the office, everyone's frustrated, put it behind us and get behind the team. We need a 12th man on the terraces, not a load of whinging voices.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

A genuine question, and this isn't based on his performance tonight - is James Wilson as good as we are thinking?

He has 4 league goals. It's him and two kids till Proctor is back. Is that going to be enough, even when fit?

Yes he was playing very well before injury, people have short memories.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

Sutton 1-2 down at half time score in the 92nd minute to win 3-2. That's what automatic promotion teams are made of and they've done it on a fairly consistent basis this season. Including against us. Habit of winning.

We had our moment v Orient but a team going for promotion turns that game around tonight even after going 1-0 down. We don't have the belief at the moment.

Sutton score late all the time.  Must have some sort of siege mentality there. We outclassed them and lost 4-3 .