onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

9 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

I'm sick to death of saying the same thing, I think Smith is a very good defender, but he's not a footballer. I'm sure he probably feels the same and never looks comfortable receiving the ball. His distribution is poor in my opinion and he sometimes appears like a rabbit caught in headlights. 

Plus side for me is I personally think he's one of the first names on the teamsheet. Not a great deal gets past him, his positional sense is good and 5 different managers had the sense to pick him.  

Not sure how he got man-of-the -match last night however.

Agree

Imo he is a really good defender  but needs a leader along side him 

Advert

10 hours ago, Joe B said:

Because one was a clearly an own goal and going wide, and really shouldn't have been credited to him, and the other one was out of play before he bundled it home and should have been ruled out. First goal was great, but it was a very dubious 'hattrick'.

If we're generous, he has 6 goals in 21 this season - hardly the one to pin our goalscoring hopes on. I think he's a good 'deeper' forward but he's not one to rely on to plunder alongside two lads with no experience.

Wow - who needs the dubious goals panel?

There's no doubt he struggled for fitness, early on...it was equally obvious he was a good player to bring other players into the game. As he gained fitness he became more of a threat and scored his 7 goals - making him joint high scorer. It looks like the same process has to happen again - he will regain his fitness and, as he does, there will be less need to play both the young lads. It was generally acknowledged he was a player that would add that touch of quality and class up front - I'll be interested in seeing how others react to your question? 

No idea why folks are singling out Smith.   For my money he’s a good defender, a real competitor, great header of a ball.  We’ve watched him long enough to know he’s not going to be a “ball player”, which is why we’ve signed more technically gifted players to play alongside him.  Unfortunately those technically gifted players aren’t the best defensively.

Hall showed some signs that he possesses the right attributes.  Looks fairly solid, decent in the air, not bad on the deck and quick enough for this level.  Sadly he had to be subbed off which I felt disrupted us.

Smith's improved this season however he as being at the club years now be interesting see what his career stats are .

How many clean sheets have we had over the  seasons he as played .

How often is he a threat in the opposition area from set pieces ,corners etc  he wins ball after ball in a defensive way big lumps  but I've very rarely seem him win the first phase of a set piece to be honest it's pointless him going up for corners he rarely scores from them .

His passing is not sharp enough .

He is a stopper nothing more he can fill in at right back but never fills me with confidence in his work I'd say he plays well one in every 5 games .

I'm no football manager though and my view is not to be taken too seriously if he helps us gain promotion great but if I am honest with you I feel he is very over rated and only still at the  club cause no one else wanted him so he signed a new deal with us but really probably wanted to go .

I'd like see us without him for a few games myself see if other players selected can make a difference when we have a set piece corner etc.

He is no leader no vocal enough ,not good enough .

harsh but true .

1 hour ago, Breadwinner said:

Smith's improved this season however he as being at the club years now be interesting see what his career stats are .

How many clean sheets have we had over the  seasons he as played .

How often is he a threat in the opposition area from set pieces ,corners etc  he wins ball after ball in a defensive way big lumps  but I've very rarely seem him win the first phase of a set piece to be honest it's pointless him going up for corners he rarely scores from them .

His passing is not sharp enough .

He is a stopper nothing more he can fill in at right back but never fills me with confidence in his work I'd say he plays well one in every 5 games .

I'm no football manager though and my view is not to be taken too seriously if he helps us gain promotion great but if I am honest with you I feel he is very over rated and only still at the  club cause no one else wanted him so he signed a new deal with us but really probably wanted to go .

I'd like see us without him for a few games myself see if other players selected can make a difference when we have a set piece corner etc.

He is no leader no vocal enough ,not good enough .

harsh but true .

i’d say that was quite true of smith. always felt he played better with experience along side him. seems lost at the moment because there’s no real voice to guide him through the games. he leads by example but not with his voice and i struggle to see at the moment who the voice is at the back. you would’ve thought with all his experience it would be Aaron Martin but hes never played 5 in a row for us and manager dropped him as soon as he signed hall. was Martin, Crosby’s signing? i hope we start picking up clean sheets soon with or without smith. that’s managers decision 

The biggest issue with the defence last night was moving Gibbo from the right of the 3 and putting Smith there. Plus Martin didn’t come on and cover himself in glory either. Gibbo and Worrall were having a good game together, maybe keeping them as they were and brining Benning on instead of Martin might have been a better choice? 

12 hours ago, PV1973 said:

The biggest issue with the defence last night was moving Gibbo from the right of the 3 and putting Smith there. Plus Martin didn’t come on and cover himself in glory either. Gibbo and Worrall were having a good game together, maybe keeping them as they were and brining Benning on instead of Martin might have been a better choice? 

I said exactly the same thing during the game. I thought it was a poor decision. The linkup play with Gibbo and Wozza was very good. They instinctively know each other’s game.

I said exactly the same thing during the game. I thought it was a poor decision. The linkup play with Gibbo and Wozza was very good. They instinctively know each other’s game.
It's not instinctive though is it? It's come from years of playing together so is learned. Agree about the decision though

34 minutes ago, philmpv said:
37 minutes ago, MBE said:

It's not instinctive though is it? It's come from years of playing together so is learned. Agree about the decision though

After the Salford game I felt whilst we showed plenty of endeavour we didnt seem to be the nailed on promotion team we had looked 6/8 weeks ago. Must agree with the above in that there arent enough Gibbo/Wozza  partnerships, its almost telepathic. OK there has been Covid, unprecedented injuries all out of DCs hands. Obviously he has also made his own team changes.

We just didnt seem to be the flowing team we were previously, plenty of huff and puff but not quite gelling.

Archived