onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

Advert

It didn’t work though, and very rarely does starting two young lads, one of which has played 2 professional games together. I’m not saying there both useless or anything like that, I just don’t think they should be starting games together yet, they need a striker that has much more experience along side them. 
Experience is overrated at this level. To me it's about ability first and foremost. I've said this for years. We've had a lot of experienced crap for the past 5 years. In strikers alone, the best examples of despite experience you can be crap are Robinson, Paterson, Barnett and Guthrie. In contrast, by far our best or at least most impactful players have been younger players with the ability. I'm thinking of Jones, Alnwick, Streete, Taylor, Whitfield, Smith (when he first broke into the team), Gibbons and, this season, Garrity. I'm not saying the 2 young lads will work, but they clearly have the ability, so it's completely unfair and premature to declare 'they don't work' after 1 bloody game together

The situation Vale find themselves in is down to injuries, Conlon was a massive miss last night.

Having said that signing a third experienced  striker with some goal scoring track record would have been massive, George Lloyd didn't fit that bill. Salford have signed Matt Smith from Millwall today, he looks ideal for Vale  but likely out of Vale's price  range.

20 minutes ago, philmpv said:
31 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:
It didn’t work though, and very rarely does starting two young lads, one of which has played 2 professional games together. I’m not saying there both useless or anything like that, I just don’t think they should be starting games together yet, they need a striker that has much more experience along side them. 

Experience is overrated at this level. To me it's about ability first and foremost. I've said this for years. We've had a lot of experienced crap for the past 5 years. In strikers alone, the best examples of despite experience you can be crap are Robinson, Paterson, Barnett and Guthrie. In contrast, by far our best or at least most impactful players have been younger players with the ability. I'm thinking of Jones, Alnwick, Streete, Taylor, Whitfield, Smith (when he first broke into the team), Gibbons and, this season, Garrity. I'm not saying the 2 young lads will work, but they clearly have the ability, so it's completely unfair and premature to declare 'they don't work' after 1 bloody game together

Agree its 100% about ability, however who were those players playing alongside when they broke into the team? I’m not saying it needs to be an experienced (trash) journeyman like Robinson. Just Wilson with one or the other for the time being. I just think it would be beneficial to us and to the two young lads if one of them started alongside Wilson rather than someone else playing his first couple of games. Not sure on Edmonson; didn’t show too much ability last night, early days but he looks more like a hard worker rather than someone with quality (unlike Harratt) 

I didn’t say that don’t work either… said they didn’t work last night, which it clearly didn’t - Dosent mean it won’t in the future though, just personally think it’s beneficial for them to play with someone with a few more games under their belt at this stage 

I’m willing to give Edmondson time at Vale but reports on him from a Northampton supporting friend weren’t positive 
Have we learnt nothing from the Benning and Garrity experience of what other teams fans think? Certainly won't be a factor with me

42 minutes ago, osprey said:

I’m willing to give Edmondson time at Vale but reports on him from a Northampton supporting friend weren’t positive 

So you’re not willing to give him time then because of someone’s else’s opinion? 

Gone from being so excited about the vale to seriously depressed in the space of a week. 

massive doubts over the capabilities of our squad all of a sudden struggling to think of a game in a long time where we put together a good 90 min display. We need a result fast. Losing on Saturday and my head will roll clean off

I said the other day we need to get that win asap in any way we can and then hopefully put a run together like the 8 game one,it can be done,Mansfield were relegation fodder a few months ago then they get a string of wins and now look,we just have to keep the faith right now,thats all we can do.

Most saying that we ditched the 532 formation, I thought last night it was the same, maybe after having a birthday drink prior to the game I couldn't see properly what was going on.  It looked like Gibbo Hall and Smith in the middle with Worrall and Hussey the wing backs, maybe I am wrong but that is how I saw it.  After giving it time to think about the performance, whilst definitely an improvement on Saturday's disaster, I am really worried that this season is going to turn into a missed opportunity.  We have players that look miles off what they were earlier in the season namely Pett, Smith and Worrall and I know he was injured last night but Conlon too.  There is something lacking from midfield and has been for the last 7/8 games, even before the enforced break and I think we need something different brining in.  I look at the table and while we still look in a decent position, the next couple of weeks are massive, we are now the same points off 3rd as we are ahead of 20th, just don't want to see us sliding down the table and end up with a season in midtable.

He's a fan favourite and he's never a player you criticise lightly, but I've never been the biggest fan of Nathan Smith and still think we can do better. He's brave and puts his head where some people wouldn't put there feet. But he's not quick, not particularly strong and his passing out from the back is Sunday league level at times. His passing just hasn't improved in any shape or form over the years.

It's early days but Hall has looked great so far. I'd like to see someone with legs that has a bit of pace alongside him in the near future.

He's a fan favourite and he's never a player you criticise lightly, but I've never been the biggest fan of Nathan Smith and still think we can do better. He's brave and puts his head where some people wouldn't put there feet. But he's not quick, not particularly strong and his passing out from the back is Sunday league level at times. His passing just hasn't improved in any shape or form over the years.
It's early days but Hall has looked great so far. I'd like to see someone with legs that has a bit of pace alongside him in the near future.
I think Cass and Jones either side of Hall would be our best back 3

7 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Most saying that we ditched the 532 formation, I thought last night it was the same, maybe after having a birthday drink prior to the game I couldn't see properly what was going on.  It looked like Gibbo Hall and Smith in the middle with Worrall and Hussey the wing backs, maybe I am wrong but that is how I saw it.  After giving it time to think about the performance, whilst definitely an improvement on Saturday's disaster, I am really worried that this season is going to turn into a missed opportunity.  We have players that look miles off what they were earlier in the season namely Pett, Smith and Worrall and I know he was injured last night but Conlon too.  There is something lacking from midfield and has been for the last 7/8 games, even before the enforced break and I think we need something different brining in.  I look at the table and while we still look in a decent position, the next couple of weeks are massive, we are now the same points off 3rd as we are ahead of 20th, just don't want to see us sliding down the table and end up with a season in midtable.

It was only an improvement because on that evidence, Salford are a much worse side than Swindon on every level.

Any team with genuine promotion aspirations would have beat them convincingly last night. They were woeful.

Archived