onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

5 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Smith out, then all will be well.

It's only a few peoples opinion mate.

My opinion is him and Martin were truly hideous tonight and I can only assume the man of the match was done like the FA cup draw by picking a random name out of a hat.

Although I'll hold my hand up I couldn't say who I felt was star man myself. 

Smith tonight was puerile. But he wasn't alone. 

Advert

2 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

It's only a few peoples opinion mate.

My opinion is him and Martin were truly hideous tonight and I can only assume the man of the match was done like the FA cup draw by picking a random name out of a hat.

Although I'll hold my hand up I couldn't say who I felt was star man myself. 

Smith tonight was puerile. But he wasn't alone. 

Don't agree mate, Smith had a good game, defended well played it simple to a Vale player. Martin was again... well look at their goal.  I like Smith, hold my hand up to that.  Have to agree to differ. 

I'm 100% sure Worrall is perservering through some sort of chronic niggle/minor injury as he's a shadow of what he was.

The Hussey-Martin-Smith passing triplet. Actually painful.

Stone is so so so slow at recycling the ball/starting a new phase. So laboured every single time. But then again they're all so static, so static our own throw ins when losing could be classed as time wasting.

They made a double change at HT we couldn't deal with.

Actually saw some glimpses of drive tonight for a change, from Garrity and Gibbons and it was creating positive results, we should have had a few in the first half and it should have been game over by HT. How we didn't score in that scramble in the last few minutes I'll never know. Actually, no, I do. We're in one of those periods of poor form, bad luck and external third party events and match results happening where literally EVERYTHING goes against you.

27 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

The centre backs we had on aren’t good on the ball but literally every time they had it there was no movement what so ever. Nobody wanted the call other than Garrity. 

Said before the game there is no pace in this side. Sides can just sit in and let us have the ball, especially when our most creative player is out injured. We just looked like a team that had no idea. Hussey was wide open screaming for the ball on countless occasions and out midfielders would just pass backwards. I’ve seen some posts saying we gave it a go and huffed and puffed. I don’t even think we gave it a real go. 

I know Wilson is coming back from injury, but how long will it take for him to get up to any kind of actual football level? That’s 3 games now and he still looks like he’s a very long way off. We can’t be carrying players at the moment. Dare say it I think we need another striker, one that’s experienced and played at the level before. Wasn’t impressed at all with Edmonson, striked me as a Michael brown loan signing.

Glad to hear from DC that we did try to get Politic, hopefully means we’re in for at least 1 winger. The likes of Worrall will be burned out in no time at this rate, worst game I’ve seen him have in a vale shirt by the way. That second half it looked like we had Zak mills running down the wing and falling over. 

I agree it’s not nice for the players to hear boos and isn’t exactly going to motivate them. However this is a bad run and isn’t something overnight. We didn’t properly have a go at them 2nd half, pass backwards then sideways then lump it up to nobody. I think everyone just wanted to see them actually have a go and get some tempo going, I noticed DC going nuts with this as well. Have to say there were a few more boos than I was expecting 

Where do we go Saturday? I think we will be better away from home. Is Jones back? If so he comes in straight away and hopefully Hall isn’t injured as he looks a very good player. I’ve said on numerous occasions this season that I don’t rate Cass defensively, but we missed him bringing the ball out tonight. 

Need some creativity as that midfield tonight has none in it. 

I didn’t know where to start to be honest but this is spot on. We have too many sitting players in the middle of the park and not enough creativity. Garrity in the first half was outstanding, if he had scored from that run into the box I think it would have been our goal of the season. 

I actually don’t know how we didn’t score in the first half. I just hope fans don’t over-react but I fear they started doing that on Saturday. A long way to go yet, it is worrying that we lost against a truly woeful Salford side but that also gives me hope that this is just a blip. 

i haven’t seen their goal back yet, has anyone seen it on twitter? It looked offside and that lineman missed at least two other offsides in the second half. 

Everyone booed around me I actually clapped it's not like Salford had 18 shots in one half is it I've seen a lot worse performances than that .

How haven't we scored and why was Gibbons moved that's my only criticism along with there goal tonight .

The bigger picture is somewhere along the line all that bad karma we have being dealt tonight will become good karma as season goes on .

First half I really enjoyed. 

After listening to DC I believe everything he said we deserved win the fact we never even got a pozy point was galling .

It's being a bad start to the year .

Things can only get better one hopes  

Keep the faith

UTV 

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

A genuine question, and this isn't based on his performance tonight - is James Wilson as good as we are thinking?

He has 4 league goals. It's him and two kids till Proctor is back. Is that going to be enough, even when fit?

Interesting - why have you chosen to isolate the 3 goals he scored, in the FA Cup, against a team from a higher League?

I do think the booing tonight was more about frustration about the slow build up of play when more urgency was needed. We looked lost at times and there were no leaders on the pitch

Salford reminded me of a very average non league side trying to nick a goal and spoil the game after that. We got sucked into their game but that performance tonight reminded me of a typical Askey type showing.

We need to snap out of this dreadful one dimensional football by numbers approach, passing it across the back four several times then hoof it aimlessly to the smallest player we have.

Complete lack of passion at times tonight other than Gibbons.

We need to start games on the front foot as we did earlier in the season when we were regularly getting a lead early on. We sit back now and seem happy to go in at halftime 0-0

What a let down tonight, supporting Vale doesn't get any easier, like groundhog day over and over again

2 minutes ago, gags 64 said:

I do think the booing tonight was more about frustration about the slow build up of play when more urgency was needed. We looked lost at times and there were no leaders on the pitch

Salford reminded me of a very average non league side trying to nick a goal and spoil the game after that. We got sucked into their game but that performance tonight reminded me of a typical Askey type showing.

We need to snap out of this dreadful one dimensional football by numbers approach, passing it across the back four several times then hoof it aimlessly to the smallest player we have.

Complete lack of passion at times tonight other than Gibbons.

We need to start games on the front foot as we did earlier in the season when we were regularly getting a lead early on. We sit back now and seem happy to go in at halftime 0-0

What a let down tonight, supporting Vale doesn't get any easier, like groundhog day over and over again

Spot on.

52 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Love your optimism LT

17 shots and still no goal.

We played a poor team tonight and still could not win

Apparently their defence blocked 3 on the line? You can't legislate for that kind of defending...in fact, you can't for missing 14 other shots. But, it would have only taken one to go in to give us a lift. Them scoring with one of their rare shots...and with a host of defensive errors...is typical of some games - we've been there before! Bolton last year - 20+ shots didn't we have? It happens...nothing to do with tactics, strategies, preparation - just pure dumb luck on the day which could be the opposite in the next match?

If I weren't optimistic I'd be Rancid Debra!

Wasn’t that much luck…. We had two cleared off the line first half. The other shots were nowhere near, don’t actually recall their keeper making a save (keeper I wanted us to sign). Second half we did nothing. Typical smash and grab away performance but both teams were abysmal 

7 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Apparently their defence blocked 3 on the line? You can't legislate for that kind of defending...in fact, you can't for missing 14 other shots. But, it would have only taken one to go in to give us a lift. Them scoring with one of their rare shots...and with a host of defensive errors...is typical of some games - we've been there before! Bolton last year - 20+ shots didn't we have? It happens...nothing to do with tactics, strategies, preparation - just pure dumb luck on the day which could be the opposite in the next match?

If I weren't optimistic I'd be Rancid Debra!

Spot on you would think Vale played really rubbish if you go by some of the  comments on this site ,I've seen games where we have played far worse and won years ago under Bruno Ribiero think we won 1-0 v Charlton they missed four open goals in that game,think they had 20 shots , tonight's game reminded me of that we were excellent first half ok Hall going off didn't help second half efforts but come on we all know that if that game gets played and the ball runs for us we win 6-1 .

UTV 

Performances bring rewards eventually I suggest we carry on rest of season with first half set up we will reel off Win after Win for sure if we take our chances which we will has the season goes on 

UTV 

2 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Spot on you would think Vale played really rubbish if you go by some of the  comments on this site ,I've seen games where we have played far worse and won years ago under Bruno Ribiero think we won 1-0 v Charlton they missed four open goals in that game,think they had 20 shots , tonight's game reminded me of that we were excellent first half ok Hall going off didn't help second half efforts but come on we all know that if that game gets played and the ball runs for us we win 6-1 .

UTV 

Performances bring rewards eventually I suggest we carry on rest of season with first half set up we will reel off Win after Win for sure if we take our chances which we will has the season goes on 

UTV 

We did play rubbish….. the 2nd half is about as bad as it gets. No idea where you’ve got 6-1 from. First half we were good and had two cleared off the line. Can’t think of any more than that 

1 minute ago, Breadwinner said:

UTV 

Performances bring rewards eventually I suggest we carry on rest of season with first half set up we will reel off Win after Win for sure 

UTV 

Confidence is a huge thing - as is match fitness! We're short on the first, and getting better on the second...but those enforced breaks haven't helped us - clearly. We're back where we were at the start of the season, just needing a couple of breaks before we pick up the habit of winning - again. There are no clubs in this League that are far superior to us!

First half wasn't bad but any decent side would have dispatched this Salford team by 3 or 4 this evening. We didn't. Second half was close to pathetic and the team showed a massive lack of belief in themselves and each other the moment they went a goal down. Confident and belief gets you a long way in football and a couple more losses in succession and we could drop down the table rapidly. We're in danger of blowing all of the positive vibes the club built up early on this season. It's quickly starting to feel like another case of "same old". Another false dawn.

Archived