onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

2 minutes ago, valiantastic said:

from the last few games i’ve seen, we need a defender who controls that back line. Smith is still quite inexperienced and naive to be honest and isn’t that vocal and martin is good on the ball but again not that vocal. i felt our leader at the back was legge and it showed in the start of clarke’s reign in the turn of the results and clean sheets but we move on from legge and should have a replacement for that central role who controls the back 3 if we continue to play this formation or do we go back to a 433 and try that out? 

I tend to agree with this.  I felt Hall going off, whilst not a turning point, negatively affected us.  Hopefully, what looked like a hamstring injury will turn out to be minor.

We haven’t looked particularly solid all season and Clarke needs to find a blend of 3 centre backs, in the current system, that works.

The game itself was your typical one team misses numerous chances, makes unforced sloppy mistakes culminating in a soft goal being conceded.  We’ve seen it countless times before.

Credit to Salford for the way they defended, other than that they were toss.

Advert

Frustrating night against a poor Salford outfit. First half was ok with more shots blocked than I've seen in a while but it was a stinker of a second half with Vale unable to even threaten to break down their defence. A midfield of Walker, Pett and Garrity is far too predictable as they are all a much of muchness.  It's an area we need to strengthen especially with Conlon's rumoured departure. Up top we have two inexperienced players learning their trade which is not what we need right now. 

10 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

Have we ever won a game or actually played well when Smith has played right or left CB in a back 3?

I don’t think Smith is the problem, but he has to be played as a head and kick it defender (what he excels at) or not at all. 

Agree with this, he either plays in the centre or not at all. I’m pretty sure we’ll see another CH come in during the window. 

The players tried as hard as possible and the team is extremely unlucky to lose. Chances were not taken with Salford mounting great defence in their 6 yard box. 

I feel our wingback system is now understood and prepared for. Tonight we didn't pose sufficient forward threat down the middle of the pitch to cause space down the flanks. We also engaged in too much recycling side to side. Just push down the flanks when marked using short passing and work advances by a throw-in.  

I'm hoping this transfer window can deliver a center back who can actually control and pass a football, and a midfielder who can drive us forward. Little bit of luck first half and we would of comfortably won tonight second half reeked of desperation. The worst part of tonight was the performance of a section of our so called supporters. The negativity in the stands transfers itself to the pitch. This is why I prefer away days, we seem to get behind the players more and lift them when we're on the road. Bad day at the office, everyone's frustrated, put it behind us and get behind the team. We need a 12th man on the terraces, not a load of whinging voices.

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

A genuine question, and this isn't based on his performance tonight - is James Wilson as good as we are thinking?

He has 4 league goals. It's him and two kids till Proctor is back. Is that going to be enough, even when fit?

Yes he was playing very well before injury, people have short memories.

7 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

Sutton 1-2 down at half time score in the 92nd minute to win 3-2. That's what automatic promotion teams are made of and they've done it on a fairly consistent basis this season. Including against us. Habit of winning.

We had our moment v Orient but a team going for promotion turns that game around tonight even after going 1-0 down. We don't have the belief at the moment.

Sutton score late all the time.  Must have some sort of siege mentality there. We outclassed them and lost 4-3 .

Just shows that you need to take your chances, they took theirs and then spent the entire second half hoofing it anywhere. 

I think our main attacking drive and impetus comes from players like Worrall, Garrity and gibbo (he has to start). The quality second half from Worrall and Garrity was lacking though. The left hand side had nowhere near as much of the ball nor any real drive in them as a pairing, yet having said that Amoo should have got a <ovf censored> away much sooner second half after some great work in the box. Hussey to my mind is a traditional stay at home left back. He got a couple of decent balls into the box and that summed up our problem for me. We probably missed Conlons quality at times. But we’ve spent all season playing some great football between wingbacks, midfielders and forwards to enable us to get into the box, (just take a look back at highlights to see how many chances and goals weve got from cutbacks), yet we’ve brought Hussey in who doesn’t look like he has the engine for that. So we’ve resorted to lumping crosses in. But for who? We don’t have a strong striker in the box. Strikers weren’t coming to feet so we could play those triangles into the box. To me it looks like we’ve changed our way of playing halfway through the season and on the last 2 games it isn’t effective enough. I can understand us not being as fluid given the new signings being integrated and I don’t believe we’ve had much chance to do anything in training since Saturdays game either. Back to the drawing board I think for Saturday. 

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A genuine question, and this isn't based on his performance tonight - is James Wilson as good as we are thinking?

He has 4 league goals. It's him and two kids till Proctor is back. Is that going to be enough, even when fit?

No...........

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Yes. Had just had a purple patch when he got his injury.  Clearly took him a while to get going at the start of the season but some of his touches and link up play are sublime. 

Him and Proctor were beginning to be a real force.

I'm as peed off as everyone else but I'm convinced a freak set of injuries nobody could of forseen has totally derailed our season. 

Archived