onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

2 minutes ago, Beech said:

Salford were clearly much worse than Swindon though. We were unlucky not to be leading at half time. But as soon as they scored we went to pieces almost and probably wouldn't have scored if we were still playing past midnight.

To me we currently just look very slow and one dimensional as a side. A far cry from what we were some weeks ago. We've not suddenly become a bad side, but we need to get a win and start believing once again asap!

Advert

Dire. Turgid 2nd half. The decision to go 442 was ridiculous. Was there a single player capable of passing the ball? The Smith-Martin-Garrity triangle gave me a tummy ache. Utter farmer approach of 'pass it between two technically diabolical CBs before hoofing it to the channels'. I'm a fan of retaining possession, but tonight wasn't by design - just us being rubbish.

Problems that started around Bradford continue to plague us. This isn't a blip - this is 3 wins in 11, 1 clean sheet in 13, no sustained good performances against 11 men since Colchester. 

Serious issues. The squad is weaker. It's all well and good saying 'wait till the end of the window', but we had a game tonight without Politic and looked devoid of any plan or idea to create after HT. We're rolling with two children up front whilst our injury prone forwards limp to fitness. We have 3 fit midfielders. 1 available goalkeeper who has about 10 games under his belt. Aaron Martin deployed to play the Beckenbauer role. Where's the depth?

Proper Vale, this. Some early season excitement, crumbling before us on a cold Tuesday night at a silent Vale Park, the fans' hope dissipating with every 5 yard square pass from Nathan Smith. Port Vale. Yeah!

Due to clear lack of confidence at the moment, I feel that our approach needs to mirror that of when Clarke took over and eventually started to get wins.

That approach being to go out 'NOT TO LOSE'. Can't remember the last clean sheet. Feel like we need to build from the back again until our confidence improves.

We need to get something (even a point) from each game - need to something/ a foundation to build on.

1 minute ago, LancyTony said:

Yet we were better than in our last game? I can't be both!

Were we? Result says not. We huffed and puffed at times but ultimately we went no where. 

Keep buying defenders and still can’t defend for toffee. When was the last time we kept a clean sheet?

Let’s not butter this up either we have lost 5 of the last 7 in the league with some absolute embarrassing preformances both collectively and individually. 

Promotion is looking like a distant dream currently. 

Vale fans can be a bunch of ****s, but I have to say, the amount of times tonight we just played backwards. There was times when Hussey was screaming for a switch stood in acres of space. Its frustrating to watch.

Absolute travesty of a game. They were there for a hiding Salford, worst team I've seen up Vale this season. Had nothing at all. Took 3 mistakes from us to gift them a goal, Martin's God awful header back, Stones shank & then piss poor 2nd phase when ball went back in the box.

I'm not one to normally call out players but the sponsors must've been watching a different game to me. Smith was absolutely woeful. 

You've got to take your chances, we didn't & somehow left without even a point! And I'd have been gutted with a point.

One last thing I have to call out. Throw ins. For the love of God Clarke, sort us the <ovf censored> out. I've never seen a side with less options that's gives the ball away as often as we do from our own throw ins. It's schoolboy stuff! It's like we've been coached that when we win a throw in, it has to either be launched down the line onto a defenders head, or we just aimlessly throw it onto the pitch & hope for the best. It's absolutely shocking to watch.

Terrible Vale. Really really terrible. Same old.

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Dire. Turgid 2nd half. The decision to go 442 was ridiculous. Was there a single player capable of passing the ball? The Smith-Martin-Garrity triangle gave me a tummy ache. Utter farmer approach of ;pass it between two technically diabolical CBs before hoofing it to the channels'. 

Problems that started around Bradford continue to plague us. This isn't a blip - this is 3 wins in 11, 1 clean sheet in 13, no sustained good performances against 11 men since Colchester. 

Serious issues. The squad is weaker. It's all well and good saying 'wait till the end of the window', but we had a game tonight without Politic and looked devoid of any plan or idea to create after HT. We're rolling with two children up front whilst our injury prone forwards limp to fitness. We have 3 fit midfielders. 1 available goalkeeper who has about 10 games under his belt. Where's the depth?

Proper Vale, this. Some early season excitement, crumbling before us on a cold Tuesday night at a silent Vale Park, the fans' hope dissipating with every 5 yard square pass from Nathan Smith. Port Vale. Yeah!

Clarke’s change second half made us worse where he took Pett off. We completely lost the midfield and resorted to hoofball..

I thought we did okay first half and probably deserved to go in infront. We had enough chances, which were by in large unlucky. So no gripes with that first half from me.

Second half was just rubbish though. They go 1 up, from a multitude of errors, however we’ve got no guile, intelligence, determination to go and get back in the game. It’s just huff and puff, like the old Vale of recent times. 

It’s probably asking too much to have two young lads upfront together. Neither were very good and didn’t look like creating anything. We’ve been dealt a terrible hand losing Proctor and Wilson together. We really need them back soon. If not, Wilson has to play I think. I guess the question is, should we have signed a more proven striker? Time will tell.

I thought Hall looked good and Hussey was probably our best play. 

The midfield is becoming a none event regardless who plays there. Only Garrity offers the glimpse of creating anything and he is so hit and miss.

Concerning times? Yes. Can we turn it around? Yes.

2 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

Vale fans can be a bunch of ****s, but I have to say, the amount of times tonight we just played backwards. There was times when Hussey was screaming for a switch stood in acres of space. Its frustrating to watch.

Absolute travesty of a game. They were there for a hiding Salford, worst team I've seen up Vale this season. Had nothing at all. Took 3 mistakes from us to gift them a goal, Martin's God awful header back, Stones shank & then piss poor 2nd phase when ball went back in the box.

I'm not one to normally call out players but the sponsors must've been watching a different game to me. Smith was absolutely woeful. 

You've got to take your chances, we didn't & somehow left without even a point! And I'd have been gutted with a point.

One last thing I have to call out. Throw ins. For the love of God Clarke, sort us the <ovf censored> out. I've never seen a side with less options that's gives the ball away as often as we do from our own throw ins. It's schoolboy stuff! It's like we've been coached that when we win a throw in, it has to either be launched down the line onto a defenders head, or we just aimlessly throw it onto the pitch & hope for the best. It's absolutely shocking to watch.

Terrible Vale. Really really terrible. Same old.

I noticed that about throws. No one shows for the ball, we take an age to take them, and more often than not lose the ball. Dreadful.

1 minute ago, Powerline said:

Clarke’s change second half made us worse where he took Pett off. We completely lost the midfield and resorted to hoofball..

Yep, disaster. Garrity can't play in a 2 man midfield as he can't control a football. Walker can't move. Smith and Martin shouldn't be allowed to touch the ball with anything but their feet. It was excruciating. Couple of lads up top without a clue of what to do. Amoo and Worrall waiting out wide to hammer a cross into the first man. Class.

No quality passing players in midfield with Conlon and Taylor both out injured just results in no pattern of play, no one orchestrating the play, no one comfortable on the ball to take responsibility and no quality through balls and it results in the mess seen tonight.

Passing the ball  5-10 yards backwards and side ways in midfield ends up with the ball at the feet of a defender who lumps it forward usually with possession lost, simply running around ratting just doesn't do it.

Vale's current predicament is a result of the injuries, particularly to the players who bring quality to the midfield IMO, the young lads up front would also do better with quality passing from midfield.

Salford were there for the taking tonight.

4 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

Comical. Was 4 mistakes, too - Walker hammered it from the centre circle out for a corner.

I'm going to avoid this forum after a defeat in future. Usual absolute tripe being spouted. We hammered them first half. They took their 1 chance in the second, gifted to them by an avalanche of errors, then offered bugger all else. We huffed and puffed but couldn't break them down. Our clear lack of confidence didn't help, particularly when our 'fans' started booing and yelling at our defence to 'get it forward' , when there was clearly nothing on. What happened? Panicked lump forward then which came straight back. I swear we have some of the thickest fans in the country
Well said Phil, booing and moaning at players doesn't help at all. Moronic.

Archived