onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

25 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Amoo isn't a striker but he is a good wide forward so no reason he cant fill the Politic void if playing a different formations such as 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 but he is a different type of player.

We had a good season with Amoo and Worrall part of a front three the season before last.

Anyway tonight is a big big game, its a bit like the Hartlepool one in that any type of win will do to stop the rot and start adding confidence back into the team and fan base. I dont know why though but every season around late December/January we seem to have a poor spell, going back years. Does feel a bit downbeat at the moment after the last few days so need a win.

Salford are a bit meh this season but can be dangerous on their day. If we perform to our higher level I would expect us to win this one but cant afford any Walsall/Swindon levels of performance and if we get that then alarm bells may begin to ring.

You can't play him and Worrall together though. That's "Askey-ball".

Advert

11 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I guess his 32% win ratio at Walsall was just a blip then? 

Yes it was. 

53.5 at Salisbury

42.3 at Bristol

32.9 at Walsall

45.8 at Port Vale 

Compared to John Askey:

25.9 at Macclesfield

44.9 at Macclesfield

23.8 at Shrewsbury 

37.4 at Vale 

Next random argument to throw at DC?

9 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I guess his 32% win ratio at Walsall was just a blip then? 

Well, if you want to look at it like that, it would appear yes it was a blip in his career so far...

Salisbury City 53.5%

Bristol Rovers 42.3%

Walsall 32.9%

Port Vale 45.8%

🤷‍♂️

15 minutes ago, Beech said:

You can't play him and Worrall together though. That's "Askey-ball".

It was slightly facetious - I just thought that, two years after nearly getting into the playoffs, we wouldn't be relying on the same two wingers (both in their 30s) to create. That would be a blip in recruitment. It's not like we have many injuries out wide (just Hurst iirc) - just no one else can play there!

I'm just surprised that, when considering a change to the system, we're back at square 1 with the same creative players. We might start them and we might do well, it's just come as a surprise to me considering the overhaul we've seen.

I see its being reported that Politic has gone back to his club as he's been signed by a team in Italy.  Gonna miss him - stylish player and good finisher.  Good luck to him.

Need the rest to step up to the mark now.

I think we have a good chance of getting something out of tonight's game.  Be nice to keep a clean sheet.

I'm going 2-nil Vale.

35 minutes ago, MelbourneValiant said:

A lone striker? At home against Salford due to being scared of conceding? Is this how far we feel we have fallen.

To be honest if we allow that lad forget his name Hunter think his name is pop shots from outside the area he will undoubtedly net by picking that said formation is actually to not concede firstly and then build from there .

Swindon had a ridiculous amount of shots first half by the stats picking the side I picked originally is to close down the gaps and allow no shooting practice for Salford .

To be honest I'd prefer us be on the front foot but as me and the lads at work were saying last night we do not understand why players are not match fit they have played and kept themselves fit from a early age just a excuse really not put a shift in in my opinion .

Lers hope he chooses 11 players who have no excuses players who will want to win and losing is not a option .

Make no mistake about it Salford will be decent 

UTV 

22 minutes ago, Joe B said:

It was slightly facetious - I just thought that, two years after nearly getting into the playoffs, we wouldn't be relying on the same two wingers (both in their 30s) to create. That would be a blip in recruitment. It's not like we have many injuries out wide (just Hurst iirc) - just no one else can play there!

I'm just surprised that, when considering a change to the system, we're back at square 1 with the same creative players. We might start them and we might do well, it's just come as a surprise to me considering the overhaul we've seen.

Well it's not just the two wide players that would be tasked to create. The likes of Conlon and Garrity also. I'm not saying we should start every game 4-3-3 with Worrall and Amoo supporting a single striker. But I don't think it's a bad option for certain games. Worrall is a winger that can do a job as a wing-back. As one of our best players, for me, he should be starting in the position where we can get the most out of him. And while I've never been Amoo's biggest fan, he has pace, and sometimes that's enough to cause mayhem against League Two sides if used correctly. I think Edmondson can also be used on the left of a front three which gives another option, as would the return of Rodney.

Wanted 433 for this game, thought it suited us perfectly. However, now we have lost politic it has to be 352 again. I’d imagine, the same 11 as Saturday (other than covolan) I’d like to see Edmonson given a start over Wilson, give Wilson a run out last 30 if we’re winning comfortably. 

I'd like to see us revert back to a system where we can change formation during the game. A left field selection but I would spring a surprise ,start 4231 but could easily revert back to 352 or 343 during the game. I like the potential partnership down both flanks which would cause any teams problems. I know Hussey is not a winger but we need him out in space to whip the ball in the box high up the pitch to do damage. I think  Benning would look much better in a back 4 where he can overlap a player in front of him. Also gets Conlon further up the pitch to influence the game. Obviously assumes Gibbo is available.

Stone

Gibbo Smith Hall Benning

Walker Pett

Wozza    Conlon   Hussey

Wils      Harrat

Subs; Amoo,Edmondson,Garrity,Martin,Rodney (if fit),Draw a lottery for the final 2 places.

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Wanted 433 for this game, thought it suited us perfectly. However, now we have lost politic it has to be 352 again. I’d imagine, the same 11 as Saturday (other than covolan) I’d like to see Edmonson given a start over Wilson, give Wilson a run out last 30 if we’re winning comfortably. 

Not sure it has to be 352 again, for me Worrall and Amoo either side of Harratt and lets start on the front foot instead of sitting back.

Archived