onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

46 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Let's be fair here. Amoo has only been used as a striker in an absolute emergency.  It's not like he was playing there before Wilson, Proctor and Lloyd got injured . So I'd say that's a bit disingenuous towards Clarke to say that.  

Amoo has done ok but there's absolutely no doubt he's way better out wide . As people have alluded to I'd imagine he'll be released in the summer . 

That's why I said earlier that him and Worrall as part of a front three is still an option for us, before someone started spouting about "Askey-ball", like an utter looney. Just because both players also played under Askey means nothing. Worrall is undoubtedly more of a threat in his natural position out wide as part of a front three or in a 4-4-2 than he is at right wing-back, and Amoo would still get in plenty of League Two sides as a winger.

Advert

2 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Releasing world class players such as Zak Mills and David Fitzpatrick. 

Not being John Askey. 

Not being very nice in interviews. 

Being nasty to the players.

Being a bad manager based on numerous promotions and guiding vale to safety / having us in and around promotion slots all season. 

Numerous promotions? Only one from League 2... Let's hope you are right and the Port Vale Pep can turn it around...

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Really good point... Its very very very rare for a team not to have a sticky patch.

LWLLDLL - 4 points from 21 (1 point from 15 at the end of the run) = Port Vale last promotion season

DLLDDDD - 5 points from 21 = Last year champions Cheltenham

LLWLDLDDL - 6 points from 27 = Promoted Bolton and that's AFTER they started winning

DDLLLWL - 5 points from 21 = Promoted Cambridge

LDLLWDDDL - 7 points from 27 = Promoted Morcambe

Great bit of research mate - puts it into perspective, well done

57 minutes ago, Doha said:

You use the word ‘probably’ often in your veiled swipes at the manager, don’t you?

”Ryan Johnson didn’t make us a profit. We probably just about broke even.”

”Amoo is probably not convinced by DCs opinion” 

Its almost, almost like you’re making up baseless statements in your head to create disingenuous strawman claims to support your very personal dislike of the manager.

Doha he is dragging you in

20 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Numerous promotions? Only one from League 2... Let's hope you are right and the Port Vale Pep can turn it around...

Not sure there’s much to turn around is there? He already turned us around. It’s not as if we’re languishing down the bottom again. Numerous promotions yes. 

1 hour ago, fraggle said:

I think if we are to get anywhere near winning tonight the midfield 3 of Pett, Conlon & Garrity need to up their game big time, they have been walked over/around in the last 3 games, they have all predominantly played a deep-lying role, they have allowed the opposition to play the ball too easily in the middle/just inside the oppositions half…

I’ve been sick of watching how slow we are to attempt to turn the ball over. They’ve also been far to ‘safe’ in playing the ball sideways, if you look at the 1st 10 games, the drive to get forward, play that slide rule pass into the gaps, it’s just way off now…..

I get the feeling that DC must be asking them to conserve energy in the 1st half of the game, to allow him to figure the oppositions style out…. If we play like we have in the last 3 games we’ve got little chance of winning…

Last one for me… has anyone else noticed the big gaps between the back 3 when we lose the ball? If you look at a number of the recent goals we’ve conceded, the cohesiveness of the back 3 and then into back 5 with the wide players… they are way out of sync, we are suffering from the players not being disciplined enough when we don’t have the ball.

Let’s hope they start tonight’s game with pressing football from the off, rather than waiting 45 mins to get going

Brilliant post. Absolutely spot on.

Just been thinking that years ago there used be one sub on the bench with the manager and that was it this playing see what the opposition are like first half then having make substitutions second half to change it round is a bit concerning as by the time you make the subs the games already lost at times and also you asking why ain't you starting the game with the second half formation as every passing minute when behind in a game you are one mistake from being in a terrible situation come first half end .

Last time we played well was in the league Bristol Rovers away we were  superb in that first half with Conlon and Gibbons and Garrity starring .

Tonight we need to show character from the off if there's a ball be won win it ,if there's a incoming shot from the opposition block it (the amount of times I see a shot fly in with no real determination block it from our middle centre half is  shocking for league 2 level that's one area where we are sadly lacking but he is a fans favourite and fights with the opposition however he may win the ball in the air from goal kicks from opposition funny how he never wins anything from our set piece situations and when he does its once in a blue moon but still after 4 managers and all of them getting fired he remains a favourite of the manager but he certainly ain't mine   needs be replaced by someone better in both boxes who blocks incoming shots not because he isn't a warrior because he is at times not that will sit well with people on this site but  come on we need better than him if we want to progress and still be challenging come season end ).

Lets see who wants it tonight the players owe the fans a big performance are they capable I'd say YES and in 7 hrs time we will find out 

UTV 

Amoo isn't a striker but he is a good wide forward so no reason he cant fill the Politic void if playing a different formations such as 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 but he is a different type of player.

We had a good season with Amoo and Worrall part of a front three the season before last.

Anyway tonight is a big big game, its a bit like the Hartlepool one in that any type of win will do to stop the rot and start adding confidence back into the team and fan base. I dont know why though but every season around late December/January we seem to have a poor spell, going back years. Does feel a bit downbeat at the moment after the last few days so need a win.

Salford are a bit meh this season but can be dangerous on their day. If we perform to our higher level I would expect us to win this one but cant afford any Walsall/Swindon levels of performance and if we get that then alarm bells may begin to ring.

23 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

Politic recalled time for a bit of imaginative setting up at home .

Worrall can play either side can he not so why does he never switch sides ?under Clarke .

Conlon can play as the first line of high press in fact when he plays well its when he is very up the pitch so I suggest if selected he is tasked with pressing high Walker can slip into the defensive midfield role .

I know DC likes to play with 2 strikers but with the alarming amount of goals conceded lately I think just the one and players running off the one but he as to play well the lone striker. 

Wilson on what I saw v Brentford was always a couple of yards off the pace and obviously rusty ,I'm.not sure on what he is offering at present to justify a starting spot .

Amoo strange how played v Brentford but was not used sat along with Gibbons although Gibbons may be off to pastures new if so the sooner the better because if he is not off he should be the first player selected every time in the starting xl why its obvious why he is  a fantastic player .

So much to ponder for DC be interesting see who's selected just hope we play with a desire to win because if we come off that pitch and I have seen something I have enjoyed in terms of what we show in phases of games but do not seem be able put it together for the whole 90 like the last 10 mins v Orient the second half v Accrington the second half v Barrow first 20 v Rochdale etc etc I will be delighted .

Big game every player has to be firstly up for it and secondly ready and thirdly willing to when defending do the part of the  game what wins majority of the games show  GUTS and be ready die for the shirt .

UTV 

A lone striker? At home against Salford due to being scared of conceding? Is this how far we feel we have fallen.

24 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Just been thinking that years ago there used be one sub on the bench with the manager and that was it this playing see what the opposition are like first half then having make substitutions second half to change it round is a bit concerning as by the time you make the subs the games already lost at times and also you asking why ain't you starting the game with the second half formation as every passing minute when behind in a game you are one mistake from being in a terrible situation come first half end .

Last time we played well was in the league Bristol Rovers away we were  superb in that first half with Conlon and Gibbons and Garrity starring .

Tonight we need to show character from the off if there's a ball be won win it ,if there's a incoming shot from the opposition block it (the amount of times I see a shot fly in with no real determination block it from our middle centre half is  shocking for league 2 level that's one area where we are sadly lacking but he is a fans favourite and fights with the opposition however he may win the ball in the air from goal kicks from opposition funny how he never wins anything from our set piece situations and when he does its once in a blue moon but still after 4 managers and all of them getting fired he remains a favourite of the manager but he certainly ain't mine   needs be replaced by someone better in both boxes who blocks incoming shots not because he isn't a warrior because he is at times not that will sit well with people on this site but  come on we need better than him if we want to progress and still be challenging come season end ).

Lets see who wants it tonight the players owe the fans a big performance are they capable I'd say YES and in 7 hrs time we will find out 

UTV 

I’m still behind Clarke but like you say the last time we played well was Bristol away but if you can’t play well and beat a team that’s gone down to 10 men after 15 mins you might as well throw the towel in 

11 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

I’m still behind Clarke but like you say the last time we played well was Bristol away but if you can’t play well and beat a team that’s gone down to 10 men after 15 mins you might as well throw the towel in 

The last time we played well for me was Colchester at home in October, I thought we were bang average at Bristol Rovers and thankfully they had 10 men nearly the whole game.  Tonight is a big game and not just 3 points, I would like us to see play well again having gone around 9/10 games since a decent performance.

Archived