onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

Advert

On 16/01/2022 at 14:57, Warren said:

Conlon looked like he was in a coma. If he is fit and ready to play then play him. But yesterday he was light years off the pace. Wilson too. Just because he played well earlier in the season doesn't mean he is ready to take the weight up front now. 

Aside from individual players struggling, we must look at the formation. Hussey at left back is much bigger player than Gibbo. So we can go 4 at the back without being vulnerable in the air. He is also confident on the ball and doesn't need an extra centre half to square to. Meanwhile that extra centre half left us overrun in midfield v Swindon; so either drop one out or play one that can really get on the ball and step into midfield. For me we need to go four at the back and get Worrall upfield. 

Harratt starts and I would give the other new player Edmondson a start. They have fantastic mobility and can press and run in behind. Even if Salford park the bus, Wilson isn't a full target man and so I think we need to move the ball quickly and try to get in behind down the flanks. Worrall and Gibbo down the right to do that - although I can accept Cass as well. If Amoo is ready he could come in as the fresh legs if needed. 

But actually I do think we need to win this. We have a series of difficult games coming up which could reverse our fortunes or see us off. So confidence building is essential on Tuesday. 

It's a lot to put on Edmondson and Harratt, but could work, just not in a 532 as they will be completely alone if we start launching the ball out of defence. I hate the system myself especially at home, but we've seen relative success with it so far.

Wilson should be nowhere near the starting 11 right now. I don't care what he was doing weeks and weeks ago. Ease him back into things. We have Harratt and Edmondson we can use from the start. Sick and tired of this negative 5 at the back at home. If the opposition deal with our wing-backs it's a poor formation and allows the other team to dictate things if they have any sort of quality about them. Just go 4-3-3 and actually take the game to teams, as we generally were doing at home not so long ago.

Stone

Cass

Smith

Hall

Hussey

Walker

Conlon

Garritty

Worrall

Amoo

Harratt

Subs: Collinge, Martin, Gibbons?, Benning, Pett, Edmondson, Wilson

5 minutes ago, Beech said:

Wilson should be nowhere near the starting 11 right now. I don't care what he was doing weeks and weeks ago. Ease him back into things. We have Harratt and Edmondson we can use from the start. Sick and tired of this negative 5 at the back at home. If the opposition deal with our wing-backs it's a poor formation and allows the other team to dictate things if they have any sort of quality about them. Just go 4-3-3 and actually take the game to teams, as we generally were doing at home not so long ago.

Stone

Cass

Smith

Hall

Hussey

Walker

Conlon

Garritty

Worrall

Amoo/Edmondson

Harratt

You’d play Cass over Gibbo? 

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Are we really running back Askeyball? I would have hoped we'd have upgraded.

If we've gone through all this overhaul just to go back to 433 with Amoo and Worrall then I give up 😂

What? Worrall is much better as a right winger. You know, his actual position. And Amoo has been a wide player all of his career and still has something to offer. If he doesn't then what's the point of keeping him at the club? Because he sure isn't a striker.

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Are we really running back Askeyball? I would have hoped we'd have upgraded.

If we've gone through all this overhaul just to go back to 433 with Amoo and Worrall then I give up 😂

Know what you're saying but it's all about finding a way to win a game of football.  No use Clarke berating Askeys 4-3-3 if he is rigid 5-3-2 himself. 

At home I want to see us more expansive and on the front foot.

If that's 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 I don't see that as a regression or humble pie for Clarke either .

14 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Not a must win but a very much like to win.

Wilson doesn't look physically fit to me never mind match fit.

I see every reason to play Gibboo unless he's not our player or it's an injury issue.

Walker at DM and one of Walker or Pett be under orders to be behind the ball at all times to cover against the counter attack.

Garrity to play just behind Harratt and in front of the midfield.

Try and get Wilson and Rodney on for match fitness.

I'd prefer a system with 4 at the back but Vale need a bit of "consistency" at the moment.

Stone

Cass Smith Hall

Worrall Pett Walker Conlon Gibbo

Garrity Harratt

Subs: Rodney, Wilson, Hussey,  Edmonson, Martin, Benning, Bailey.

If it was a 4 at the back:

Stone

Gibbo Smith Hall Hussey

Pett Walker Conlon

Worrall  Harratt  Garrity

Subs: Rodney, Wilson, Cass,  Edmonson, Martin, Benning, Bailey.

What the hell did David Amoo do to you?

21 hours ago, ValeForever. said:

There's very very few teams who go a whole season without a couple of rough patches. Forest Green are an anomaly at the moment, in the fact they are winning on such a regular systematic basis (bar Saturday). They are currently tracking for 100+ points which is inconceivable at this level.

It's clear we're not on top form at the minute but let's back the manager & the players to come good again, which they will. We've just had a month without a game, played well against a prem side & then not turned up v a decent Swindon side, but also played half a game with 10 men. 

I hope people don't start losing their heads if we don't win tomorrow night. We're only halfway through the season & we're in & around it with a decent manager & some good players. I think we just need to get back to being hard to beat & tighter at the back. If we can do this I always fancy us to score goals to win games.

For what it's worth I think we will draw tomorrow night, I'll go for 1-1. Please let's all just stick with the lads. We're capable of going on a ridiculous run again once we find our form again. UTV

Excellent post, spot on.  When Leeds were coming up 2 years ago, they had a spell of 8 games without a win in December/January, but went on to win the title by 10 points. 

Not a time for panic, but hard work and good management. UTV! 

I think if we are to get anywhere near winning tonight the midfield 3 of Pett, Conlon & Garrity need to up their game big time, they have been walked over/around in the last 3 games, they have all predominantly played a deep-lying role, they have allowed the opposition to play the ball too easily in the middle/just inside the oppositions half…

I’ve been sick of watching how slow we are to attempt to turn the ball over. They’ve also been far to ‘safe’ in playing the ball sideways, if you look at the 1st 10 games, the drive to get forward, play that slide rule pass into the gaps, it’s just way off now…..

I get the feeling that DC must be asking them to conserve energy in the 1st half of the game, to allow him to figure the oppositions style out…. If we play like we have in the last 3 games we’ve got little chance of winning…

Last one for me… has anyone else noticed the big gaps between the back 3 when we lose the ball? If you look at a number of the recent goals we’ve conceded, the cohesiveness of the back 3 and then into back 5 with the wide players… they are way out of sync, we are suffering from the players not being disciplined enough when we don’t have the ball.

Let’s hope they start tonight’s game with pressing football from the off, rather than waiting 45 mins to get going

Archived