Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

Advert

1 hour ago, KEV.WILLIE said:

Play like yesterday and we're screwed 

There did seem a lot of players off the pace

We need to win our games in hand 

Conlon looked like he was in a coma. If he is fit and ready to play then play him. But yesterday he was light years off the pace. Wilson too. Just because he played well earlier in the season doesn't mean he is ready to take the weight up front now. 

Aside from individual players struggling, we must look at the formation. Hussey at left back is much bigger player than Gibbo. So we can go 4 at the back without being vulnerable in the air. He is also confident on the ball and doesn't need an extra centre half to square to. Meanwhile that extra centre half left us overrun in midfield v Swindon; so either drop one out or play one that can really get on the ball and step into midfield. For me we need to go four at the back and get Worrall upfield. 

Harratt starts and I would give the other new player Edmondson a start. They have fantastic mobility and can press and run in behind. Even if Salford park the bus, Wilson isn't a full target man and so I think we need to move the ball quickly and try to get in behind down the flanks. Worrall and Gibbo down the right to do that - although I can accept Cass as well. If Amoo is ready he could come in as the fresh legs if needed. 

But actually I do think we need to win this. We have a series of difficult games coming up which could reverse our fortunes or see us off. So confidence building is essential on Tuesday. 

19 minutes ago, Warren said:

Conlon looked like he was in a coma. If he is fit and ready to play then play him. But yesterday he was light years off the pace. Wilson too. Just because he played well earlier in the season doesn't mean he is ready to take the weight up front now. 

Aside from individual players struggling, we must look at the formation. Hussey at left back is much bigger player than Gibbo. So we can go 4 at the back without being vulnerable in the air. He is also confident on the ball and doesn't need an extra centre half to square to. Meanwhile that extra centre half left us overrun in midfield v Swindon; so either drop one out or play one that can really get on the ball and step into midfield. For me we need to go four at the back and get Worrall upfield. 

Harratt starts and I would give the other new player Edmondson a start. They have fantastic mobility and can press and run in behind. Even if Salford park the bus, Wilson isn't a full target man and so I think we need to move the ball quickly and try to get in behind down the flanks. Worrall and Gibbo down the right to do that - although I can accept Cass as well. If Amoo is ready he could come in as the fresh legs if needed. 

But actually I do think we need to win this. We have a series of difficult games coming up which could reverse our fortunes or see us off. So confidence building is essential on Tuesday. 

Agree with most of this, but I doubt if DC will start with 4 at the back, that seems to be his fall back position when we are losing 

I was surprised from his interview the other day when he referred to Wazza as a wing back,  for me he's a right sided midfielder or winger,  who can play wing back 

Re Wilson if you look at most of his goals,  they come within the 6 yd / penalty spot area , imo whilst he does loads of hard work running the channels , dropping deep etc, we don't play enough balls in an area for him to score

Was looking forward to this game not sure I am now after hearing about yesterday's horrendous first half display .

Team well back to basics you cannot be giving opposition 17 shots on your own patch that's downright disgusting .

So I'd expect changes with not going yesterday I have no idea who played well and who is just not at it and is a liability .

After all the excitement of the new players coming in and folk going Announce promotion now we go and turn in a turgid display like that made worse by the fact Swindon played on Tues and we had a whole week prepare and be ready and be up for it the fact we were not surprised me immensely .

Dc needs to address the massive slump in form v Newport ok no strikers but having seen the highlights or lowlights we were off the pace that game and could easily have conceded more .

V Brentford no resistance to there 1st and 3rd goals you would expect our defence to have at least try block the shots then yesterday's ridiculous first half display where we gave Swindon the freedom of Vale park and then the sending off which was ridiculous in itself but more annoying for me reading it was that our manager was going wait till half time change it on another day could possibly have been 0-3 down already react quicker change it after 20 mins if you have too do not let the opposition and the game get away from Vale .

So I expect changes .

I expect passion 

UTV

2 hours ago, Conrad said:

Yes a bit of good news.

I am sure its them who have that big Tom Elliott a player who i have yet seen us control(a bit like Akinfenwa) he has caused us problems all the times he has played us(i think we were linked with him a while ago),oh and they also have that young lad Ian Henderson 🙂 so there will still be things to worry about even with Asante missing

My team based on the fact we have conceded 7 goals in 2 games  

Stone 

Cass Hall Martin Hussey

Walker Pett 

Worrall  Politic Benning

Harratt 

Time to tighten up out go Smith Conlon and Wilson Garrity  let's  change the spine of the team  give T Pett the captains armband Politic can break from deep to aid young Harratt .

There's enough there make us solid and make us a threat but got no chance if players cannot do the basics like block shots like be solid .

Feel free to disagree 

UTV 

I’m pretty sure if someone passed me the ball, I had time to tap it about a bit in front of me then pick a 10 yard pass, I’d look part of a well-organised, tidy side. This league is all about pressing with high energy and forcing players into making mistakes. Very very very few teams can pass the ball around like Man City and leave teams chasing shadows for the whole game, so if you stick to that mentality and conserve energy by retaining the ball yourself, that’s going to be successful in league 2. Vale were pressing, and winning. Now we sit back and let teams pass it around. The only teams we’ve beaten recently have been so bad that they can’t even retain the ball under no pressure, so that gave us confidence the concept was working; but then tried against better teams we looked completely lost. This needs to change and I think that has to come hand in hand with a formation change.

My team in a 4-4-1-1:

Stone

Cass Smith Hall Hussey

Worrall Pett Walker Conlon

Politic 

Harratt

I think we need something a bit different. Swindle played some great stuff and the way Williams linked up with McKirdy and the big No 9 must have been very good to watch from a Swindle perspective. Really, as comfortable a 1-3 away win as they probably ever had.

This team is therefore designed to try and mimic that, making sure we are able to get some control of the midfield. I believe the two midfield stoppers in Pett and Walker should help ensure we get some control of the midfield and the two attacking FB’s should allow Wozza and Conlon to play more narrow if needed. Politic can have a free role and Harratt to lead to line. Smith is in last chance saloon for me before he’s due a spell on the bench, was shocking yesterday and the defending on the third was just really really poor in addition to the fact that he is hopeless with the ball at his feet.

I’m going for 1-1, or worse 0-0,

7 hours ago, Warren said:

I wouldn’t say Hussey is a much better player than Gibbons. I’d say two different players. 

Im not too bothered what format we play. Leave Wilson out and go with Harratt and Edmondson up front. Their briefing is to play close to each other not twenty yards apart.

What I don’t want to see is when the opposition have a corner we bring everyone back like we did on Saturday. It was like the JA era all over again. We clear the ball but have no one to compete for it so it just comes straight back. 

Archived