onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Your stongest 11?

Beech

Obviously it could change if and when we make one or two more signings. But I think nobody would disagree that we have our strongest squad of players in a long time, and the recruitment, on paper, has been excellent this window so far. There are no guarantees of course - Let's not forget we expected Lawrie Wilson to be great after he came with a fair bit of hype and expectation, and he turned out to be about as useful as the hole in a Polo mint. But such is the depth we have with everyone fit that I think many people will have an 11 that has one, two or even three different personnel. I would probably change my own from day to day, but it's a nice "problem" to have.

Lucas

Smith   Hall    Hussey

Worrall                            Gibbons

Pett

Garrity  Conlon

Proctor   Wilson

Subs: Stone, Cass, Jones, Taylor, Politic, Amoo, Edmondson/Harratt

Can't find a place even on the bench for Rodney, Lloyd, Walker, Benning or Martin, and one of the recent loan signings would miss out too once Proctor returns. Considering what we've had to endure at times, the strength of that subs bench looks mad. (in a good way!)

Advert

Obviously it could change if and when we make one or two more signings. But I think nobody would disagree that we have our strongest squad of players in a long time, and the recruitment, on paper, has been excellent this window so far. There are no guarantees of course - Let's not forget we expected Lawrie Wilson to be great after he came with a fair bit of hype and expectation, and he turned out to be about as useful as the hole in a Polo mint. But such is the depth we have with everyone fit that I think many people will have an 11 that has one, two or even three different personnel. I would probably change my own from day to day, but it's a nice "problem" to have.
                  Lucas
        Smith   Hall    Hussey
Worrall                            Gibbons
                     Pett
            Garrity  Conlon
            Proctor   Wilson
Subs: Stone, Cass, Jones, Taylor, Politic, Amoo, Edmondson/Harratt

Can't find a place even on the bench for Rodney, Lloyd, Walker, Benning or Martin, and one of the recent loan signings would miss out too once Proctor returns. Considering what we've had to endure at times, the strength of that subs bench looks mad. (in a good way!)

Never thought I'd say this, but I completely agree with you. That 11 looks absolutely mint. That said, I'll reserve judgment on both Hall and Hussey until they've played a few games for us. I always ignore what players have done before, and what other teams fans think of them. It's about what they do for us.

The likes of Cass, Worrall, Gibbons, Politic, Jones, and Garrity could each individually find themselves on the bench. I think even the likes of Smith could be at a slight risk. Bar Pett, Wilson, and Conlon, I'm struggling to name a single player who is a nailed on starter.

Not a knock on any of these players, we've just got 12/13 top drawer players at this level. 

The Magic now is that we have so many options 

3-5-2

Cov

Cass   Smith  Hall

Gibbo                     Hussey

Pett

Garrity          Conlon

Wilson                  Proctor

3-4-3

Cov

Cass   Smith  Hall

Gibbo    Pett    Conlon    Hussey

Worrall   Wildon   Politic

4-4-2

Cov

Gibbo     Smith    Hall    Hussey

Worrall    Pett   Conlon   Poilitic

Wilson       Proctor

4-3-3

Cov

Garrity   Pett    Conlon

Worrall   Wilson    Politic

4-2-3-1

Cov

Pett   Conlon 

Worrall    Garrity     Politic

Wilson

And even more exciting, dependent on the formation is we have a genuine bench which would include a combination of:

Stone, Martin, Jones, Benning, Walker, Taylor, Proctor, Harrat, Edmonson, Rodney, Amoo, Politic,

Lovely Jubbly

The permutations are mad and some good contributions. 

I've got a gut feeling Walker might play a big part still particularly away from home where we need a bit more steel.

Huge issue with him in my opinion is the amount of cheap yellows he receives with petty tackles when we are over ran. 

I don't know why I think like that as he's barely featured has he. Just a hunch in away games. 

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

The likes of Cass, Worrall, Gibbons, Politic, Jones, and Garrity could each individually find themselves on the bench. I think even the likes of Smith could be at a slight risk. Bar Pett, Wilson, and Conlon, I'm struggling to name a single player who is a nailed on starter.

Not a knock on any of these players, we've just got 12/13 top drawer players at this level. 

This is the strongest squad I can remember in terms of competition for places. What we've asked for for a long time: quality over quantity!

On 13/01/2022 at 18:09, LancyTony said:

This is the strongest squad I can remember in terms of competition for places. What we've asked for for a long time: quality over quantity!

I think this squad is significantly stronger than our promotion team. But so is the top half of the division. Hence its not as greater an advantage as it might have been and we are in for a battle to get in the top three. 

Archived