Jump to content

Your stongest 11?


Beech
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

Obviously it could change if and when we make one or two more signings. But I think nobody would disagree that we have our strongest squad of players in a long time, and the recruitment, on paper, has been excellent this window so far. There are no guarantees of course - Let's not forget we expected Lawrie Wilson to be great after he came with a fair bit of hype and expectation, and he turned out to be about as useful as the hole in a Polo mint. But such is the depth we have with everyone fit that I think many people will have an 11 that has one, two or even three different personnel. I would probably change my own from day to day, but it's a nice "problem" to have.

                  Lucas

        Smith   Hall    Hussey

Worrall                            Gibbons

                     Pett

            Garrity  Conlon

            Proctor   Wilson

Subs: Stone, Cass, Jones, Taylor, Politic, Amoo, Edmondson/Harratt

 

Can't find a place even on the bench for Rodney, Lloyd, Walker, Benning or Martin, and one of the recent loan signings would miss out too once Proctor returns. Considering what we've had to endure at times, the strength of that subs bench looks mad. (in a good way!)

Edited by Beech
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:




 
Obviously it could change if and when we make one or two more signings. But I think nobody would disagree that we have our strongest squad of players in a long time, and the recruitment, on paper, has been excellent this window so far. There are no guarantees of course - Let's not forget we expected Lawrie Wilson to be great after he came with a fair bit of hype and expectation, and he turned out to be about as useful as the hole in a Polo mint. But such is the depth we have with everyone fit that I think many people will have an 11 that has one, two or even three different personnel. I would probably change my own from day to day, but it's a nice "problem" to have.
                  Lucas
        Smith   Hall    Hussey
Worrall                            Gibbons
                     Pett
            Garrity  Conlon
            Proctor   Wilson
Subs: Stone, Cass, Jones, Taylor, Politic, Amoo, Edmondson/Harratt
 
Can't find a place even on the bench for Rodney, Lloyd, Walker, Benning or Martin, and one of the recent loan signings would miss out too once Proctor returns. Considering what we've had to endure at times, the strength of that subs bench looks mad. (in a good way!)


Never thought I'd say this, but I completely agree with you. That 11 looks absolutely mint. That said, I'll reserve judgment on both Hall and Hussey until they've played a few games for us. I always ignore what players have done before, and what other teams fans think of them. It's about what they do for us.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


Agree with all of this but we have to remember that DC thinks in terms of a squad,not just an eleven. The new strength in depth will allow him to rotate with, hopefully,no loss of quality. Pep roulette in Boslem? Wow!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The likes of Cass, Worrall, Gibbons, Politic, Jones, and Garrity could each individually find themselves on the bench. I think even the likes of Smith could be at a slight risk. Bar Pett, Wilson, and Conlon, I'm struggling to name a single player who is a nailed on starter.

Not a knock on any of these players, we've just got 12/13 top drawer players at this level. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Magic now is that we have so many options 

3-5-2

                  Cov

      Cass   Smith  Hall

Gibbo                     Hussey

                   Pett

      Garrity          Conlon

    Wilson                  Proctor

 

 

3-4-3

                  Cov

        Cass   Smith  Hall

Gibbo    Pett    Conlon    Hussey

     Worrall   Wildon   Politic

 

4-4-2

                  Cov

Gibbo     Smith    Hall    Hussey

Worrall    Pett   Conlon   Poilitic

        Wilson       Proctor

 

4-3-3

                  Cov

Gibbo     Smith    Hall    Hussey

     Garrity   Pett    Conlon

    Worrall   Wilson    Politic

 

4-2-3-1

                  Cov

Gibbo     Smith    Hall    Hussey

             Pett   Conlon 

   Worrall    Garrity     Politic

                 Wilson

 

And even more exciting, dependent on the formation is we have a genuine bench which would include a combination of:

Stone, Martin, Jones, Benning, Walker, Taylor, Proctor, Harrat, Edmonson, Rodney, Amoo, Politic,

 

Lovely Jubbly

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The permutations are mad and some good contributions. 

I've got a gut feeling Walker might play a big part still particularly away from home where we need a bit more steel.

Huge issue with him in my opinion is the amount of cheap yellows he receives with petty tackles when we are over ran. 

I don't know why I think like that as he's barely featured has he. Just a hunch in away games. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


From what I’ve seen of Walker I really like him, he just has the same issue as Taylor at the minute, that our midfield 3 is so strong. Good tackler and has a great range of passing, think he will be a big player 2nd half of the season 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

The likes of Cass, Worrall, Gibbons, Politic, Jones, and Garrity could each individually find themselves on the bench. I think even the likes of Smith could be at a slight risk. Bar Pett, Wilson, and Conlon, I'm struggling to name a single player who is a nailed on starter.

Not a knock on any of these players, we've just got 12/13 top drawer players at this level. 

This is the strongest squad I can remember in terms of competition for places. What we've asked for for a long time: quality over quantity!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 13/01/2022 at 18:09, LancyTony said:

This is the strongest squad I can remember in terms of competition for places. What we've asked for for a long time: quality over quantity!

I think this squad is significantly stronger than our promotion team. But so is the top half of the division. Hence its not as greater an advantage as it might have been and we are in for a battle to get in the top three. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harratt scored last week against a Premier League team. I wasn't there due to Covid-19, but aside from I have therefore never seen him play this fact means I would stick him on the pitch from the start. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


2 hours ago, Warren said:

Harratt scored last week against a Premier League team. I wasn't there due to Covid-19, but aside from I have therefore never seen him play this fact means I would stick him on the pitch from the start. 

He played very well when he came on - won most of his aerial battles, as well as scored the goal. And he's buzzing - clearly chuffed to be here, and have been given a chance already...so let's let him make a nuisance of himself like Lloyd did?...then bring politic / Edmondson on for 20? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 13/01/2022 at 12:27, philmpv said:


 

 


Never thought I'd say this, but I completely agree with you. That 11 looks absolutely mint. That said, I'll reserve judgment on both Hall and Hussey until they've played a few games for us. I always ignore what players have done before, and what other teams fans think of them. It's about what they do for us.

 

 

On 13/01/2022 at 13:43, Iron Curtain said:

The Magic now is that we have so many options 

3-5-2

                  Cov

      Cass   Smith  Hall

Gibbo                     Hussey

                   Pett

      Garrity          Conlon

    Wilson                  Proctor

 

 

3-4-3

                  Cov

        Cass   Smith  Hall

Gibbo    Pett    Conlon    Hussey

     Worrall   Wildon   Politic

 

4-4-2

                  Cov

Gibbo     Smith    Hall    Hussey

Worrall    Pett   Conlon   Poilitic

        Wilson       Proctor

 

4-3-3

                  Cov

Gibbo     Smith    Hall    Hussey

     Garrity   Pett    Conlon

    Worrall   Wilson    Politic

 

4-2-3-1

                  Cov

Gibbo     Smith    Hall    Hussey

             Pett   Conlon 

   Worrall    Garrity     Politic

                 Wilson

 

And even more exciting, dependent on the formation is we have a genuine bench which would include a combination of:

Stone, Martin, Jones, Benning, Walker, Taylor, Proctor, Harrat, Edmonson, Rodney, Amoo, Politic,

 

Lovely Jubbly

 

You can make a second XI out of your subs!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The strongest 11 .

      Covalan 

Cass Smith Jones 

Worrall Pett Garrity Conlon Gibbons

        Proctor Wilson 

That's probably our strongest Team so far this season up to yet however I hope the new signings make us stronger still because there has being at times this season like every other the sloppiness to give opposition goals they have not had to work hard to get.

The defence needs to improve so I am delighted that Hall and Hussey have joined the ranks .

In my opinion I know it will not be popular  on here Legge is a much better all round defender than Smith and when we were reeling off all those wins end of last campaign it was Legge doing the majority of the excellent defensive work .

So the best 11 will have to be different by season  end the giveaways at Sutton and Oldham are damning evidence that at times certain players cannot be trusted lets hope the new players are better than some of them .

Hussey and Hall could along with the talented and raw new strikers be the ticket to league one .

Here's hoping.

UTV 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF



×
×
  • Create New...