Your stongest 11?

Beech

Obviously it could change if and when we make one or two more signings. But I think nobody would disagree that we have our strongest squad of players in a long time, and the recruitment, on paper, has been excellent this window so far. There are no guarantees of course - Let's not forget we expected Lawrie Wilson to be great after he came with a fair bit of hype and expectation, and he turned out to be about as useful as the hole in a Polo mint. But such is the depth we have with everyone fit that I think many people will have an 11 that has one, two or even three different personnel. I would probably change my own from day to day, but it's a nice "problem" to have.

Lucas

Smith   Hall    Hussey

Worrall                            Gibbons

Pett

Garrity  Conlon

Proctor   Wilson

Subs: Stone, Cass, Jones, Taylor, Politic, Amoo, Edmondson/Harratt

Can't find a place even on the bench for Rodney, Lloyd, Walker, Benning or Martin, and one of the recent loan signings would miss out too once Proctor returns. Considering what we've had to endure at times, the strength of that subs bench looks mad. (in a good way!)

Edited by Beech
  • Like 2

Advert:

Obviously it could change if and when we make one or two more signings. But I think nobody would disagree that we have our strongest squad of players in a long time, and the recruitment, on paper, has been excellent this window so far. There are no guarantees of course - Let's not forget we expected Lawrie Wilson to be great after he came with a fair bit of hype and expectation, and he turned out to be about as useful as the hole in a Polo mint. But such is the depth we have with everyone fit that I think many people will have an 11 that has one, two or even three different personnel. I would probably change my own from day to day, but it's a nice "problem" to have.
                  Lucas
        Smith   Hall    Hussey
Worrall                            Gibbons
                     Pett
            Garrity  Conlon
            Proctor   Wilson
Subs: Stone, Cass, Jones, Taylor, Politic, Amoo, Edmondson/Harratt

Can't find a place even on the bench for Rodney, Lloyd, Walker, Benning or Martin, and one of the recent loan signings would miss out too once Proctor returns. Considering what we've had to endure at times, the strength of that subs bench looks mad. (in a good way!)

Never thought I'd say this, but I completely agree with you. That 11 looks absolutely mint. That said, I'll reserve judgment on both Hall and Hussey until they've played a few games for us. I always ignore what players have done before, and what other teams fans think of them. It's about what they do for us.
  • Like 3

Advert:

Agree with all of this but we have to remember that DC thinks in terms of a squad,not just an eleven. The new strength in depth will allow him to rotate with, hopefully,no loss of quality. Pep roulette in Boslem? Wow!

• Like 1

The likes of Cass, Worrall, Gibbons, Politic, Jones, and Garrity could each individually find themselves on the bench. I think even the likes of Smith could be at a slight risk. Bar Pett, Wilson, and Conlon, I'm struggling to name a single player who is a nailed on starter.

Not a knock on any of these players, we've just got 12/13 top drawer players at this level. 

• Like 2

The Magic now is that we have so many options 

3-5-2

Cov

Cass   Smith  Hall

Gibbo                     Hussey

Pett

Garrity          Conlon

Wilson                  Proctor

3-4-3

Cov

Cass   Smith  Hall

Gibbo    Pett    Conlon    Hussey

Worrall   Wildon   Politic

4-4-2

Cov

Gibbo     Smith    Hall    Hussey

Worrall    Pett   Conlon   Poilitic

Wilson       Proctor

4-3-3

Cov

Garrity   Pett    Conlon

Worrall   Wilson    Politic

4-2-3-1

Cov

Pett   Conlon 

Worrall    Garrity     Politic

Wilson

And even more exciting, dependent on the formation is we have a genuine bench which would include a combination of:

Stone, Martin, Jones, Benning, Walker, Taylor, Proctor, Harrat, Edmonson, Rodney, Amoo, Politic,

Lovely Jubbly

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The permutations are mad and some good contributions. 

I've got a gut feeling Walker might play a big part still particularly away from home where we need a bit more steel.

Huge issue with him in my opinion is the amount of cheap yellows he receives with petty tackles when we are over ran. 

I don't know why I think like that as he's barely featured has he. Just a hunch in away games. 

• Like 1

Advert:

From what I’ve seen of Walker I really like him, he just has the same issue as Taylor at the minute, that our midfield 3 is so strong. Good tackler and has a great range of passing, think he will be a big player 2nd half of the season 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

The likes of Cass, Worrall, Gibbons, Politic, Jones, and Garrity could each individually find themselves on the bench. I think even the likes of Smith could be at a slight risk. Bar Pett, Wilson, and Conlon, I'm struggling to name a single player who is a nailed on starter.

Not a knock on any of these players, we've just got 12/13 top drawer players at this level. 

This is the strongest squad I can remember in terms of competition for places. What we've asked for for a long time: quality over quantity!

• Like 4

On 13/01/2022 at 18:09, LancyTony said:

This is the strongest squad I can remember in terms of competition for places. What we've asked for for a long time: quality over quantity!

I think this squad is significantly stronger than our promotion team. But so is the top half of the division. Hence its not as greater an advantage as it might have been and we are in for a battle to get in the top three. 

Harratt scored last week against a Premier League team. I wasn't there due to Covid-19, but aside from I have therefore never seen him play this fact means I would stick him on the pitch from the start. 

• Like 2

Advert:

2 hours ago, Warren said:

Harratt scored last week against a Premier League team. I wasn't there due to Covid-19, but aside from I have therefore never seen him play this fact means I would stick him on the pitch from the start. 

He played very well when he came on - won most of his aerial battles, as well as scored the goal. And he's buzzing - clearly chuffed to be here, and have been given a chance already...so let's let him make a nuisance of himself like Lloyd did?...then bring politic / Edmondson on for 20? 

On 13/01/2022 at 12:27, philmpv said:

Never thought I'd say this, but I completely agree with you. That 11 looks absolutely mint. That said, I'll reserve judgment on both Hall and Hussey until they've played a few games for us. I always ignore what players have done before, and what other teams fans think of them. It's about what they do for us.

On 13/01/2022 at 13:43, Iron Curtain said:

The Magic now is that we have so many options 

3-5-2

Cov

Cass   Smith  Hall

Gibbo                     Hussey

Pett

Garrity          Conlon

Wilson                  Proctor

3-4-3

Cov

Cass   Smith  Hall

Gibbo    Pett    Conlon    Hussey

Worrall   Wildon   Politic

4-4-2

Cov

Worrall    Pett   Conlon   Poilitic

Wilson       Proctor

4-3-3

Cov

Garrity   Pett    Conlon

Worrall   Wilson    Politic

4-2-3-1

Cov

Pett   Conlon 

Worrall    Garrity     Politic

Wilson

And even more exciting, dependent on the formation is we have a genuine bench which would include a combination of:

Stone, Martin, Jones, Benning, Walker, Taylor, Proctor, Harrat, Edmonson, Rodney, Amoo, Politic,

Lovely Jubbly

You can make a second XI out of your subs!!! 

The strongest 11 .

Covalan 

Cass Smith Jones 

Worrall Pett Garrity Conlon Gibbons

Proctor Wilson 

That's probably our strongest Team so far this season up to yet however I hope the new signings make us stronger still because there has being at times this season like every other the sloppiness to give opposition goals they have not had to work hard to get.

The defence needs to improve so I am delighted that Hall and Hussey have joined the ranks .

In my opinion I know it will not be popular  on here Legge is a much better all round defender than Smith and when we were reeling off all those wins end of last campaign it was Legge doing the majority of the excellent defensive work .

So the best 11 will have to be different by season  end the giveaways at Sutton and Oldham are damning evidence that at times certain players cannot be trusted lets hope the new players are better than some of them .

Hussey and Hall could along with the talented and raw new strikers be the ticket to league one .

Here's hoping.

UTV 

• Like 2