onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

attendances

geoff1

Advert

3 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

I think we might get sub 4k tomorrow. Remember we only count fans that are in the ground and not how many season ticket holders we have. Salford will only bring 50 aswell.

Wouldn't surprise me mate.

I was a bit surprised at only 5400 Vale fans on Saturday though considering it was the first game for over a month, against promotion rivals, and after the second half Brentford performance.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Owen Holdcroft said:

https://twitter.com/stokecity/status/1488452240641769476?s=21

Apparently they are adding 7,500 seats, are they new ones or just replacing the old ones? Strange

That's the capacity of their main stand. I'd imagine it just means replacing the existing 'pink' seats with red ones, as they did with the other three stands in recent years. I guess they left it til last because it's the only stand you don't see from the TV cameras.

Unrelated but that makes me think how much better our stadium would look on TV if the camera gantry was moved to the Railway, facing the Lorne Street.

1 hour ago, jjvale_03 said:

That's the capacity of their main stand. I'd imagine it just means replacing the existing 'pink' seats with red ones, as they did with the other three stands in recent years. I guess they left it til last because it's the only stand you don't see from the TV cameras.

Unrelated but that makes me think how much better our stadium would look on TV if the camera gantry was moved to the Railway, facing the Lorne Street.

Good point about the gantry, not sure the cables would reach that far though...

2 hours ago, jjvale_03 said:

Where would they place the cameras? Also the Lorne Street is the highest stand and has all the offices etc. if simply isn’t convenient or possible to accommodate media crews in the Railway area. The ground always looks good on TV anyway in my view. For many years the view towards the Lorne Street was quite ugly with concrete breeze blocks and a half built stand.

Now you’d get to see a half empty Lorne Street and rows of plastic seats! 

17 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Where would they place the cameras? Also the Lorne Street is the highest stand and has all the offices etc. if simply isn’t convenient or possible to accommodate media crews in the Railway area. The ground always looks good on TV anyway in my view. For many years the view towards the Lorne Street was quite ugly with concrete breeze blocks and a half built stand.

Now you’d get to see a half empty Lorne Street and rows of plastic seats! 

Calm down lad.

I'm talking about in a dream world where we spend 30m+ redeveloping the Railway and Bycars rather than plonking a little gantry on top of the Railway roof.

1 hour ago, jjvale_03 said:

Calm down lad.

I'm talking about in a dream world where we spend 30m+ redeveloping the Railway and Bycars rather than plonking a little gantry on top of the Railway roof.

If we spent that amount on money on the Railway, surely we'd still want the cameras facing that gleaming, new stand 😉

Back to attendances, I've said this before but I still think it's worth repeating. For me, one way to raise attendances both in the immediate term and long-term is for the money for the LS concourse to be raised and that section made into the family section ASAP.

If we can offer younger fans a new section of the LS with top-notch facilities rather than the current "afterthought" (a block of the Bycars) it would give the younger fans a much better experience. With the owners we've got I've no doubt the club would also pull out the stops to entertain them in that section too - shop promotions, player signings, competitions and so on. 

Knowing they are going to have nice facilities and a good experience would encourage more young fans to come in the short-term and in the longer-term, some of them could well go on to become life-long fans, thus helping the club in the long-term too.

There's so many things that going to a live football match competes with nowadays that having a modern, dedicated area for families would be my number one suggestion. Yes, there are other more short-term promotions which would possibly work to boost attendances this season but I think we need a long-term strategy as Vale's fanbase has been an ageing one in recent decades. 

I think we have the right owners in place who will understand that and work on attracting young fans but right now they are hamstrung as to where to put them, so I just hope we do eventually reach that total so the concourse work can be done.

2 hours ago, jjvale_03 said:

Calm down lad.

Rotherham built a whole new ground for £17m. Now awash with revenue driving facilities.

1 hour ago, robf said:

If we spent that amount on money on the Railway, surely we'd still want the cameras facing that gleaming, new stand 😉

Back to attendances, I've said this before but I still think it's worth repeating. For me, one way to raise attendances both in the immediate term and long-term is for the money for the LS concourse to be raised and that section made into the family section ASAP.

If we can offer younger fans a new section of the LS with top-notch facilities rather than the current "afterthought" (a block of the Bycars) it would give the younger fans a much better experience. With the owners we've got I've no doubt the club would also pull out the stops to entertain them in that section too - shop promotions, player signings, competitions and so on. 

Knowing they are going to have nice facilities and a good experience would encourage more young fans to come in the short-term and in the longer-term, some of them could well go on to become life-long fans, thus helping the club in the long-term too.

There's so many things that going to a live football match competes with nowadays that having a modern, dedicated area for families would be my number one suggestion. Yes, there are other more short-term promotions which would possibly work to boost attendances this season but I think we need a long-term strategy as Vale's fanbase has been an ageing one in recent decades. 

I think we have the right owners in place who will understand that and work on attracting young fans but right now they are hamstrung as to where to put them, so I just hope we do eventually reach that total so the concourse work can be done.

I think it's worth thinking about the actual match watching experience too.

It's a bit of an ask for youngsters to sit watching a game for 2x45 minutes.

When I was a kid, most of my time was spent kicking plastic teacups around in the footwells, occasionally checking out what was happening on the pitch.

On 11/01/2022 at 22:42, philpvfc said:

Most if all clubs in the top 2 divisions publish their attendance as what their ticket sales are, Sunderland were the first and it’s very noticeable they get very low gates for cup ties. Arsenal a few seasons back were publishing gates over 40,000 when it was reckoned half those games were less than 25000 there. I’m sure if we did it we would be averaging close to 7000. I think Bradford do it and their season tickets are less than £200 so be interesting to see how many do actually attend there.

Spot on,clubs like Arsenal do publish tickets sold and not people who actually attend.Some of their games show a stadium three quarters full but state a 60,000 capacity.

More money in the bank but less bums on seats?

Archived