• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

23 minutes ago, sheffield61 said:

Am I the only one DREADING the hairy one netting for Swindleton on Satdee......😬😁

Just settle down and hope we win. If it's 4-1 (and that's not my prediction) you won't care who scored for Swindon.

• Like 1

Advert:

41 minutes ago, EricHamesis said:

Just settle down and hope we win. If it's 4-1 (and that's not my prediction) you won't care who scored for Swindon.

Wow! - that's my prediction, too! I think the loanees will score 2 between them...Woz and Conlon the other 2. I won't care if McKirdy scores - he wasn't much use to us so had to go! 

;

Just hearing Clarkes comments about Saturday and I think it’s pretty clear that Hussey will be starting over Gibbo on Saturday. He refers to gibbo and Worrall as the right wing backs and hussey and Benning as the left wing backs. 

Gibbons over Worrall at RWB imo. 

It's not about who is the better player, it's who is the better wing-back. That's undoubtedly Gibbons. Would love to think the formation can be tweaked to get Worrall and Politic on from the start.

• Like 3

Advert:

Just hearing Clarkes comments about Saturday and I think it’s pretty clear that Hussey will be starting over Gibbo on Saturday. He refers to gibbo and Worrall as the right wing backs and hussey and Benning as the left wing backs. 
I wouldn't read too much into that. If he saw Benning as a decent option at LWB then why start a RWB over him when he's been available? Can see Benning being shipped out if possible this window.
  • Like 1

I think you have to play Garrity with his, as own poster superbly put it, 'ratmanship', as these lot like to keep the ball. You need him doing his vile things.

I'd be unsure about starting Wilson in such an important game. He'll be needed to press a lot and he didn't look up to it on Saturday. Maybe Politic, Harratt, Worrall front three with Garrity prowling behind?

EDIT: Just figure out I'd ran out of spaces. Too much choice. Don't like it.

Edited by Joe B
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, philmpv said:
12 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I wouldn't read too much into that. If he saw Benning as a decent option at LWB then why start a RWB over him when he's been available? Can see Benning being shipped out if possible this window.

Maybe. But when he referred to gibbo being a right wing back with Worrall, not wanting players to think they’ll get a start and then mentioning fan favourites (which gibbo is) makes me think he laying the groundwork to not play him. 

Vale's best and most consistent players this season have been Smith, Worrall, Conlon and Gibbo, leaving Gibbo or Worrall out doesn't make sense unless due to injury. Change of system on the cards?

14 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I think you have to play Garrity with his, as own poster superbly put it, 'ratmanship', as these lot like to keep the ball. You need him doing his vile things.

I'd be unsure about starting Wilson in such an important game. He'll be needed to press a lot and he didn't look up to it on Saturday. Maybe Politic, Harratt, Worrall front three with Garrity prowling behind?

EDIT: Just figure out I'd ran out of spaces. Too much choice. Don't like it.

There’s but one rat to trap and Smithy’s got the snap.

Edited by 1

Advert:

6 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Vale's best and most consistent players this season have been Smith, Worrall, Conlon and Gibbo, leaving Gibbo or Worrall out doesn't make sense unless due to injury. Change of system on the cards?

Gibbo is managing a long term injury. Playing him game after game risks putting him back and never regaining full, unrestricted fitness.

31 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Pett has been our consistent player imo.

• Like 3

Really stressing me this.

Wing-backs, for all their criticism, saw us entrenched in the top 3 before postponements. There is no reason to deviate from it drastically. Gibbons and Worrall have been two of our most important players.

Pett, Conlon, and Garrity have established themselves as an excellent midfield trio, nicely balanced and with Garrity thriving when further forward.

Politic is a player that changes games, as he did on Saturday against Premier League opposition. He's a left winger, and when played there, often creates a lot. He has won games for us by himself.

Hussey is an excellent wing-back for League 2. He would start for every other League 2 team in this league, bar maybe FGR. He won't have left 18 months and a starting job at a team in a higher division to be Gibbo's backup.

Wilson excelled after a slow start but is some way off fitness. Edmonson and Harratt haven't come to sit on the bench. Both will want proper minutes, and Harratt arguably deserves them already.

Who do you drop? I can't figure it out at all. Doing me head in. 

The only way to get all of our 'best players' on the pitch is a 433/4231, but can our CBs handle that? Does it negate Gibbons and Hussey? Does 'best players' mean 'best team'?

Think I preferred debating who was the worst fullback; Mills or Fitzpatrick. Easier times. Nice and simple. Comparing two dogs on their respective levels of wretchedness. Proper Vale. Whitehead - diabolical or a farmer? Yeah.

Edited by Joe B
  • Haha 5

30 minutes ago, 1 said:

Gibbo is managing a long term injury. Playing him game after game risks putting him back and never regaining full, unrestricted fitness.

He’s look pretty fit (in a non gay way) to me.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Really stressing me this.

Wing-backs, for all their criticism, saw us entrenched in the top 3 before postponements. There is no reason to deviate from it drastically. Gibbons and Worrall have been two of our most important players.

Pett, Conlon, and Garrity have established themselves as an excellent midfield trio, nicely balanced and with Garrity thriving when further forward.

Politic is a player that changes games, as he did on Saturday against Premier League opposition. He's a left winger, and when played there, often creates a lot. He has won games for us by himself.

Hussey is an excellent wing-back for League 2. He would start for every other League 2 team in this league, bar maybe FGR. He won't have left 18 months and a starting job at a team in a higher division to be Gibbo's backup.

Wilson excelled after a slow start but is some way off fitness. Edmonson and Harratt haven't come to sit on the bench. Both will want proper minutes, and Harratt arguably deserves them already.

Who do you drop? I can't figure it out at all. Doing me head in. 

The only way to get all of our 'best players' on the pitch is a 433/4231, but can our CBs handle that? Does it negate Gibbons and Hussey? Does 'best players' mean 'best team'?

Think I preferred debating who was the worst fullback; Mills or Fitzpatrick. Easier times. Nice and simple. Comparing two dogs on their respective levels of wretchedness. Proper Vale. Whitehead - diabolical or a farmer? Yeah.

You're really struggling, aren't you, Joe? I think we need to play 7 -5 -4???

Advert:

We've got 25 games left. Let's say we play 15 of them in our standard 3-5-2, with 5 each of 3-4-3 and 4-2-3-1.

When we don't play 3-5-2, all 3 of Hussey, Gibbo and Woz will likely play. When we do play 3-5-2, one of them is on the bench, which means on average each still plays 20/25. That's 5 games each for rest, recovery from knocks and Gibbo's inevitable suspension, which sounds about right to me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

He’s look pretty fit (in a non gay way) to me.

Yes so let’s not overdo it and have him laid off again in a setback. He will certainly be rehabbing an injury like that in the week if he’s playing week in week out. We have the squad to rotate and we should be doing that if we have the luxury. Conlon, Woz, Gibbo, they need to be time-managed in my opinion.