Match Thread: Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

50 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

We have totally lost our structure and rhythm with the cancellations and new signings. Our passing was poor throughoutwith Hussy’s set pieces tragically bad, his last free kick straight into the hands of their keeper.

Covolan should be sacked. Plenty of decent keepers around who don’t need to collect a ball while kicking a leg out and not getting sent off. He has cost us 9 whole points this season with his antics. 

McKirdy, well playing much better than at any point when he was at Vale. 

Covolan has cost us 9 points?  When?

• Like 3

Advert:

Just now, Platty's Tassels said:

He's just had a month off.

We were terrible today and the stats from the match are embarrassing.

We got schooled in a very bad way. Easy for Swindon and they looked a class above.

Typical Vale, we have a good week and we perform like that.

<ovf censored>, no other word for it

agree,shocking performance, gutless players,nonsical manangement ! will be interesting clark interview, hes got some work to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😪

2 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

surprised they named a Man of the Match, personally thought it would be a rollover 

Missed the motm call.  Which ball person got it for throwing the ball back to the players the best? 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Ridiculous decision. Never seen anything like that in my life. 

I too have never seen anything like it but unlike you for me it was a clear sending off,I was sat in the Lorne street and as soon as he went for that ball with his stools showing I thought “ he’s off “. I can’t remember the last time Vale had a keeper sent off before this season but we now have a keeper that’s been sent off 3 times. He might be a good shot stopper and his distribution is good but you just don’t know what he’s going to do next, I can only put today down to him having a brain fart.

Advert:

Just feel like we were set up negativity from the get go today, do we really need 5 at the back at home. Got completely overran because playing so deep and missing a player in the middle because of the back 5

• Like 1

We have an awful record with that ref. It’s something like one win in a dozen games. My old man predicted disaster as soon as we saw the officials. He contributed to our defeat but we were probably going to lose whatever he decided about the red card. Swindon were simply better.

McKirdy did more in 90 minutes that he did in an entire season for us. And don’t blame managers for that - it’s down to the player to play to his potential and he clearly couldn’t be bothered last season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Platty&#x27;s Tassels said:

Am I right in thinking Mckirdy set up the first for them, then won a penalty and then to top it off scored?

Great day for him, really rubbed our noses in it.

Pissed me off typing that out tbf :banghead:

He didn’t score. That was a cross which wasn’t going in and was deflected in by Smith. 

• Like 2

Advert:

Got to agree with most! Just not at it slow from start to finish we have been taught a real lesson today the stats say it all . At half time we only had 30% possession! I just hope today was a real wake up call , Williams was by far and away better than anything we have, all in all they could pass a ball to there own men. We were far to slow far to lethargic must do much better.

Not read through the other comments but those postponed games have cost us big time, we’re miles off the pace.  That said, I felt, like in the Brentford game, we’d come out and have a real go second half but the sending off and subsequent penalty screwed us.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I too have never seen anything like it but unlike you for me it was a clear sending off,I was sat in the Lorne street and as soon as he went for that ball with his stools showing I thought “ he’s off “. I can’t remember the last time Vale had a keeper sent off before this season but we now have a keeper that’s been sent off 3 times. He might be a good shot stopper and his distribution is good but you just don’t know what he’s going to do next, I can only put today down to him having a brain fart.

From behind the Bycars it looked 6’s but I have seen the video and I just think that if you saw that incident another 10 times live in a non-VAR officiated game you wouldn’t get a penalty against you.

But it was a pretty stupid thing to do especially after he’d made a good save off the corner and an absolute worldie off the long ranger (off yet another corner which incidentally was the 2nd time the played that set piece and we weren’t switched on enough to deal with it).

I actually don’t think he was the reason we lost it I’m honest. McKirdy, Williams and the No 9 caused us all sorts of problems and we could not get near them 1st half, it was literally wave after wave, proper rabbits in the headlights job at times. A Walsall type performance and I can’t remember their goalie having another save to make.

But I agree with Adam Yates, we needed make it physical and nastier, but while McKirdy and the rest of their players were berating the ref and liner over and over, the only one of ours getting involved was Hall (my Vale MOTM by the way). 

No skill, passion, aggression, leadership…. poor. Given the form of the other teams the top 7 feels a long way off the number of reds we are getting is starting to get a bit ridiculous.

God the absolute state of of the apocalypse predictors on P&G. Unreal. Couldn’t believe what I was hearing at times. 

Chasing the game from 4 minutes, treating them like they were Brentford. Set up wrong, shape wrong, missing Gibbons’ energy. Wilson not interested, midfield bypassed, worrall so deep that Odimayo had the run of Burslem today, did what he wanted.

Today was crap. It was crap first half. It was crap regardless of Covolon getting sent off on the cusp of injury time. Let’s have it right instead of zeroing in on an individual and missing the big picture. Clarke got it wrong. 

What really annoyed me today was the lack of urgency. Losing and we’re taking >30 seconds to take a goal kick. Hoofing to no one, turning it over and no one seems bothered. <ovf censored> off Vale. 

Edited by Doha
  • Like 3

Advert:

Shocking performance today, yet another moment of madness from Covolan, I called it straight away that he would be gone, why the need to jump up like that I have no idea.  The first 45 minutes we got battered and other than the goal we offered nothing. I thought other than Hall and Harratt, the rest were woeful.

The worry for me is that this performance has been coming for a while in the league, since Crawley away we have got 7 points from 7 games, in that time we haven't play well in the league at all, Walsall, Newport and Swindon we were a massive second best in all these games.  Something has to change because the midfield 3 have been off their game during this time and getting overrun.

Massive game on Tuesday as we could easily be half way down the league in a few weeks and Carol hasnt spent all this money to be there.  For me changes needed and a change of formation, the beginning of the season we were in people's faces, on the front foot, creating chances and now look a long way from that team.  My team going forward 

Stone

Gibbons  Smith  Hall   Hussey

Walker Conlon Garrity

Worrall Harratt Politic

For me, tepid start - much like Brentford. Gave them too much respect (no idea why). Should have themwho is boss in First minute. We didn't so.....
EVERY.SINGLE.BALL in the middle third was won by them. Midfield totally absent. Conlon looked tired, Pett and Garretty anonymous. Hussey cautious. Sending-off absolute nailed on. Idiotic decision making by the goalkeeper.( will be violent conduct I assume rather than serious foul play?) Name another goalkeeper sent off 3 times in 22 games? I assume there will be a rigorous ascending disciplinary procedure for employees. Players must be included in that. Worral tenacious as ever. Harratt showed great work ethic. Wilson looked still injured. Work needed for Tuesday.

• Like 1