onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

6 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I'm choosing not to go back too many pages on here, scared what I will see. My take on it is, definite red, Cov knew what he was doing, McKirdy in the situation has done nothing wrong, the way he ran at the keeper is no different to what you see in pretty much every game of football, if he was playing for your team and he was giving up, you'd be screaming at him to challenge for the ball.

I'd agree with all of your post except this bit, since McK didn't challenge for the ball at all. He wasn't even close, he just wanted to bundle into the keeper, maybe cause him to drop the ball, whatever. 

Advert

Disappointing performance the sending off aside we just didn't look in it or up for it(apart from the odd fleeting moment), credit to Harratt easily our MOTM for effort alone and lovely goal again. He certainly look to have the knack of knowing where the onion bag is so that was probably the only positive from a poor afternoon.

It was up there with Walsall for the standard(from Vale) but Swindon were a better team than Walsall and thoroughly deserved the win.  That said 2 of their goals were a penalty and a deflected own goal, who knows on another day as bad as we were and but for Covolan's sending off it could have been a different 2nd half?

Lets forget it and move on hopefully, plenty of games to go.

I’d counter by saying people are clouded because it’s Covolan and they don’t like him either.

Im not excusing Covolan’s actions, it was a clear red card. However, it was not a fair challenge from McKirdy. Watch it again. He’s already caught the ball and McKirdy is just going to barge into him. If Covolan does nothing and just catches the ball McKirdy gets booked. 

Edit - I’m not saying McKirdy fouled Covolan either. Just that he would’ve if Covolan wasn’t a prat.

33 minutes ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Disappointing performance the sending off aside we just didn't look in it or up for it(apart from the odd fleeting moment), credit to Harratt easily our MOTM for effort alone and lovely goal again. He certainly look to have the knack of knowing where the onion bag is so that was probably the only positive from a poor afternoon.

It was up there with Walsall for the standard(from Vale) but Swindon were a better team than Walsall and thoroughly deserved the win.  That said 2 of their goals were a penalty and a deflected own goal, who knows on another day as bad as we were and but for Covolan's sending off it could have been a different 2nd half?

Lets forget it and move on hopefully, plenty of games to go.

How many times this season have we been poor for most of the 1st half and then kicked in 2nd half? If Covolan isn't red carded its impossible to know if we would have done the same against Swindon but his sending off made it impossible for that to happen. Just got to write the game off and as Valefan16 said, get the balance right with discipline.

45 minutes ago, The French Connection said:

I'd agree with all of your post except this bit, since McK didn't challenge for the ball at all. He wasn't even close, he just wanted to bundle into the keeper, maybe cause him to drop the ball, whatever. 

Maybe challenge for the ball was the wrong wording but he's ran into the box and entitled to try and get to the ball, he's tried to slow down and put his hands out, I don't know if he would have been carded for it because we don't know what it would have looked like after Cov kicks him in the chest.

1 hour ago, Walter said:
13 hours ago, Breadwinner said:
We usually disagree on everything so not a problem if you think it was  red card offence I personally didn't feel it warranted anything and if Mckirdy was a man he would have just got back up not lay there making the situation look 100 times worse than it was if  you have ever played in goal do you feet not leave the ground so you will not be in full control of where you feet are heading .
Anyway it's gone what's done done .
UTV 

Our keeper laid on the floor longer than mckirdy

Covolan lies on the floor quite a lot with dubious injuries. 

I don't like that with opposition players and I don't like it with ours. Might be 'gamesmanship'' but I don't like it and don't think its necessary. 

How many times this season have we been poor for most of the 1st half and then kicked in 2nd half? If Covolan isn't red carded its impossible to know if we would have done the same against Swindon but his sending off made it impossible for that to happen. Just got to write the game off and as Valefan16 said, get the balance right with discipline.
Not attractive or entertaining to watch but a game plan. Contain then bring on subs as players tire. I prefer high press straight away and wrap the game up. Factors fitness of players and quality of strikers. There is also another team on the pitch.

Why do we give the other team so much room its like watching prem teams at times let them keep the ball and pass it around no pressing wait for them to make a mistake and give us the ball free kick /corners every man back in the box keep one or two player up the pitch so when the ball is cleared it could find one of those players it looks like we play zonal football mix it up a bit.

1 hour ago, Row L said:

I just don't see that at all. Charging at a player is not a bookable offence. He could/would/did (I don't know) stop and was still some distance away from Cov when he was kicked. You can tell that because kung fu Cov had to fully stretch his leg out to kick him. 

I am as black and white eyed as the next (in the ground I was shouting for McKirdy to be sent off), but when you watch it on replay, I just don't see what McKirdy did wrong ... and I have tried really really hard to find somehting!

How can Covolan have kicked him if he was some distance away??  I think almost everyone on our side of the ground were shouting for McKirdy to go so to say he did nothing must mean we were all conned.

1 hour ago, osprey said:

Covolan lies on the floor quite a lot with dubious injuries. 

I don't like that with opposition players and I don't like it with ours. Might be 'gamesmanship'' but I don't like it and don't think its necessary. 

That bald headed fella in midfield for them spent a lot of the game on the floor a gust of wind sent him sprawling mind you I wish he played for us 

1 hour ago, rsb said:

Why do we give the other team so much room its like watching prem teams at times let them keep the ball and pass it around no pressing wait for them to make a mistake and give us the ball free kick /corners every man back in the box keep one or two player up the pitch so when the ball is cleared it could find one of those players it looks like we play zonal football mix it up a bit.

We didn't play a high press initially for some reason and DC mentioned this in his post match interview.I'm sure it would have been part of his plan,so it must have been down to the players.Losing the keeper threw his second half plans to rectify the problem out of the window. 

7 minutes ago, For Us All said:

We didn't play a high press initially for some reason and DC mentioned this in his post match interview.I'm sure it would have been part of his plan,so it must have been down to the players.Losing the keeper threw his second half plans to rectify the problem out of the window. 

For me why sit tight and be cautious against a team we outplayed on their own patch ?

I know we've had the break etc but let them worry about us. Mansfield took the game to them and scored in the opening 10 minutes.

For me ( at home anyway) we've got to be more proactive not reactive. I want us to go at teams, take the game to them. 

Tomorrow I don't want to see ponderous pussyfooting around I want us at Salford from the kick off not from the 62nd minute. 

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

How can Covolan have kicked him if he was some distance away??  I think almost everyone on our side of the ground were shouting for McKirdy to go so to say he did nothing must mean we were all conned.

"and was still some distance away from Cov when he was kicked. You can tell that because kung fu Cov had to fully stretch his leg out to kick him. " is why he kicked him from some distance away.

I was shouting for McKirdy to be sent off at the time too. Then I saw the clip at half time and realised I was wrong and probably influenced by my bias. Pretty simple really.

4 hours ago, darren1810 said:

It was a red end of. What seems to not of been mentioned though I guess irrelevant was the antics of the pony tailed one in the aftermath. Openly laughing at the Bycars and waving his arms frantically at the Swindon fans in a windmill motion.  He's simply an obnoxious guy who gets off on it. Apparently was up to a few antics at Mansfield too.

Coupled with Simpson laughing and grinning like a Cheshire cat at the red card it was definitely a case of job done. 

Unfortunately the pillock in our goal fell Hook line and sinker for it. 

Mckirdy may have had his moment on Saturday but just think,every day he has to look in a mirror and see that he is a double of Dave Hill from Slade,ugleee!

Archived