onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

Advert

It's the "thereabouts" that gives me the heebie-jeebies. I'm sure the owners aren't remotely interested in being the 7th-best side in Division Four, nor would they see it as any kind of achievement or success. Top three has to be the outcome, and in reality there's only two spots left now. 
Lots of owners throw money at trying to get promoted. Sometimes it works others it doesn't.

Sometimes you end up flying like Bournemouth or brentford, others you end up plateauing like Mansfield and others you end up plummeting like Notts County or Chesterfield.

It's when owners don't understand that there is no guarantee throwing money at it will work that cause problems and you can end up in a situation like the latter 2 clubs mentioned.

I like to think that there is more to our owners, they understand that that is the case, they wouldn't get disheartened and lose interest and they wouldn't over commit and put themselves and their business in jeopardy.

6 hours ago, Warren said:

McKirdy is doing nothing wrong. A striker should get near the keeper in case he drops it. Goals on Sunday has several goals that result from exactly that error. So he doesn't need a Kung Foo kick; just keep the ball. 

Can't agree with that.  McKirdy had no chance of getting the ball but jumped into Covolan, probably hoping to distract or even knock the ball free, we've all seen that happen and the ref fail to blow.  But Covolan saw him coming and raised his leg.  Stupid and deserved a card.  Arguably McKirdy deserved a yellow at least as well. 

5 hours ago, Conrad said:

Every one saying about the ref, it was the liner that made the decision.

Conrad we couldn’t see it from the half way line in RP and with Cov lying on the floor thought Mckirdy had done him. When he went to consult the liner, we thought Mckirdy was going, no one could believe it when Cov got sent off. Mckirdy didn’t try to get him sent off. At HT though some had seen it and stated the ref had got it right after the RP had a chorus of ‘ 2-1 to the referee’. I still haven’t seen it yet, but it sounds as though it was pre meditated. Any challenge in a keeper goes against the forward, so it was a disaster 

6 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I distinctly remember him charging out, taking out the man, and getting sent off. But I can't find any record of it!

EDIT: Scratch that, I've found it

He came charging out at Cheltenham in a 5-1 defeat but that ended up with a goal, not a red card. 

1 hour ago, The French Connection said:

Can't agree with that.  McKirdy had no chance of getting the ball but jumped into Covolan, probably hoping to distract or even knock the ball free, we've all seen that happen and the ref fail to blow.  But Covolan saw him coming and raised his leg.  Stupid and deserved a card.  Arguably McKirdy deserved a yellow at least as well. 

When I saw it live I thought, and I think McKirdy did also, that it was Mckirdy who was in trouble with the ref for a late challenge on Covolan and that's why he went across to the ref and Liner so show the stud marks (I presume their were some) on his chest.

Most goalkeepers jump for a cross and raise and bend one leg at the knee, it seems to be part of the "jumping mechanics" to take a high ball for a goalie but as you say Covolan saw McKirdy coming and decided to straighten out his leg which appeared/looked like a kick to Mckirdy's chest.

It was only on the replay that I saw the straightening of the leg.

7 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

We need someone who can do what McKirdy did and roam free.would mean a change of system though but as others said maybe Politic would be that player

It doesn’t matter who roams where, if we don’t compete for the ball and then retain it, they’ll just look like headless chickens.

45 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

I can remember Chris Neal getting sent off at Leyton Orient away. Then sam Johnson came on and gave away a penalty and was lucky not get sent off aswell.

Sam Johnson was dreadful that day.  He looked like someone who been picked at random from the away section to go in goal.

Wasn't Stuart Tomlinson sent off at Rotherham?

Archived