onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

48 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

No-one is saying Stone is particularly good, just that a keeper who needlessly assaults an opposition player is a liability and shouldn't automatically get his place back.

Given the opportunity, I would have assaulted that little twerp!  And I wouldn’t expect Covolan to automatically get his place back. I hope Stone makes that impossible. 

Advert

Where to start with that…

Poor first half. Similar to the first half last week but we got a great strike and at 1-1 I fancied us to make the tweak at half time to turn it around for us, expected Dennis to come on and us to push into a three man attack. We gave Williams the same space we gave Bidstrup which was stupid considering he’s played at the top level.

In that aspect Covolan cost us the game… not only by giving them a man advantage but a goal with a penalty conceded from what was essentially a dead ball as he had caught it. Absolutely ridiculous. Not sure if McKirdy said something or he put his foot up in defence worried he’d get clattered but it was a complete mess regardless.

Third goal just summed the afternoon up, really one to forget.

I have to admit I am a bit worried. We’ve been poor for a few games now, won 2 in 7, one against 9 men that we clung on in and just feels like the season is starting to drift away from us. We have some real tough fixtures coming up as well. We have to win Tuesday and hope we catch Orient cold because at this rate we will struggle to make the play offs if performances don’t click back in.

Love Harratt though. What a strike. Good feeling about him.

18 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I can't believe how much grief Wilson seems to be getting (comments like he's not arsed). The guys been out for nearly 2 months. Before he got injured, he was playing like a top L1 player. Short memories have some Vale fans. I think today that he saw the futility in pressing the CB with the ball as our WBs were playing so deep there was always at least 1 player in acres for their guy to pass to. I also think that he seems concerned about tackling too hard, maybe his foot still doesn't feel quite right?

Agree with most of this - you'd hope if his foot still isn't right he'd flag it up to the medical team? I understand DC wanting to get him back to match fitness, after a long lay-off...but, at the same time, he has to manage the time he spends in a competitive game? I'd have thought maybe 3 or 4 half games first, then stepping that up by another 15 mins - much easier now we have bodies up front. I'm not saying treat the young lads like cannon fodder - but Harratt has 2 in 2...1 against Prem opposition and 1 against one of our nearest rivals - they will both be champing at the bit...unleash the (young) Dogs of War!!! 

Just because we deserved to be losing at half time doesn’t mean we had to go out of our way to give away a pen and a red card during first half stoppage time.

Second half might have been a different kettle of fish, equally it might not have been, but we have to keep ourselves in the game to give ourselves a fighting chance.

1 minute ago, valiant steve said:

Very frustrating that a contender for player of the season (Gibbo) is dropped immediately on signing the new lad. Surely time to play Gibbo right back and Woz further forward where he can hurt teams and occupy left backs to stop them pushing forwards. 

Rumours on one of the threads that Gibbo is on his way. 

19 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

That’s just daft. The rest of our squad must be bloody brilliant if we got into the top 3 with a crap keeper. And we were already playing poorly and losing when he went off at Northampton. 

So? Does that mean we’ve lost then? So every time we go 1-0 down we might as well forfeit? Makes no sense. It’s much much easier to get back into a game regardless of how well your playing with 11 men. We may have lost still, but it’s much easier will 11 men.  Especially when the keeper not only gets sent off but gives away a penalty. I’d argue we were in the top 3 due to the vast amount of goals we were scoring not our defence, what is it 2 clean sheets in 13? Excellent. Do you honestly think a keeper with this many reds / errors at important moments is good enough? Again, Stone isn’t brilliant, he’s a decent shot stopper but not great off crosses. But I can tell you now he wouldn’t get sent off trying to skin attackers and bloody karate kick the opposition and pretend he’s been shot a minute before half time. He’s one of those keepers that no matter what I don’t feel secure, I always think an error could happen, he was playing quite well today and then did that, completely changed the game and 100% was the reason we lost, regardless of how we played first half. 

13 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

So? Does that mean we’ve lost then? So every time we go 1-0 down we might as well forfeit? Makes no sense. It’s much much easier to get back into a game regardless of how well your playing with 11 men. We may have lost still, but it’s much easier will 11 men.  Especially when the keeper not only gets sent off but gives away a penalty. I’d argue we were in the top 3 due to the vast amount of goals we were scoring not our defence, what is it 2 clean sheets in 13? Excellent. Do you honestly think a keeper with this many reds / errors at important moments is good enough? Again, Stone isn’t brilliant, he’s a decent shot stopper but not great off crosses. But I can tell you now he wouldn’t get sent off trying to skin attackers and bloody karate kick the opposition and pretend he’s been shot a minute before half time. He’s one of those keepers that no matter what I don’t feel secure, I always think an error could happen, he was playing quite well today and then did that, completely changed the game and 100% was the reason we lost, regardless of how we played first half. 

I suspect Covolan has Jordan Pickford as his role model!

26 minutes ago, valiant steve said:

Very frustrating that a contender for player of the season (Gibbo) is dropped immediately on signing the new lad. Surely time to play Gibbo right back and Woz further forward where he can hurt teams and occupy left backs to stop them pushing forwards. 

Gibbo didn't look at his best against Brentford - looked "leggy" and got subbed. But, yes - I'd play him on the right and give Woz a roving role up front - let the opposition worry about him?

I get the impression from Clarke’s interview that those of you in the Lorne Street probably overheard his half time team talk? Surprised he hasn’t lost his voice.

If this lot don’t come out of the blocks at 100mph on Tuesday night now, actively wanting the ball constantly and not hiding, I’ll be beyond furious. 

5 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:

. Unless the officials improve massively then I'm not going vale again after this season as I've had enough.

Honestly I can sympathise, it can be infuriating to watch at times, especially because you’ve spent your money to go. Don’t let them ruin it for you though mate. 

3 minutes ago, Doha said:

Honestly I can sympathise, it can be infuriating to watch at times, especially because you’ve spent your money to go. Don’t let them ruin it for you though mate. 

No, the 11 on the pitch can do that quite well on their own 😂😂😂 (joking) 

Archived