onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

Advert

10 minutes ago, Powerline said:

He’s not been crap though has he. He’s been a good keeper bar his few moments of madness that have got him sent off. He’s a decent shot stopper and is good at commanding his area. All he needs to do is cut out the silliness. And I assume he’s on his final chance now anyway. I’d imagine Stone will keep his place so doubt we’ll see Covolan much again before the end of the season. Turning on him will not help the situation.

How many times did he save us today before his Cantona moment - the shot he got down to to turn round the post was 1st class. 

29 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I know it would never happen and I’ll probably get shot down, out of the midfield 3 If one were to be dropped I would chose Conlon. I don’t think he’s been at it for quite some time and never seems to perform in difficult games. Pett has been really consistent and Garrity for me has been one of our best players and offers a goal threat. Now we have Hussey, he will take the set pieces, I’m not saying to drop Conlon but if I had to chose of the 3 it would be him (would never happen before everyone kicks off especially as he’s captain) 

Not shooting you down just offering a different view.

If you drop Conlon where is the creativity gonna come from. Of the central midfield players,  Pett keeps things ticking over but  he rarely plays an incisive pass, Garrity isn't a creative passing player whereas Conlon is and is/was always looking to create/play the killer pass forwards. He played some good through balls today, one to Worrall which was sublime but nothing came of it.  Conlon was also busy in midfield today, hussling and tackling.

If there is one thing you could say about Conlon today it  is that he didn't play at his best but he was still made a greater contribution than Pett and Garrity IMO.

Hopefully Hussey will do the business for the Vale but I don't understand his signing having both Gibbo and Benning, never mind, Jones who can play that position. Better the money spent on a Kane Hemmings or someone of his ilk as it looks like it's gonna be a while before Wilson and Proctor will be fully match fit.

He did make a good save. Plenty of keepers do. Scott Brown used to make good saves. That on it’s own isn’t enough in the modern game.

Lucas is a good keeper but I don’t think he’s irreplaceable. I also don’t think he’s exceptionally good to the point that that you’re willing to overlook the daft stuff he does. At this rate he’ll be sent off another couple of times between now and the end of the season. 

The two players booed for them, Harry  M and Williams was it, ran the show. Reason ? They wanted the ball, demanded it and did something with it. Nobody from our team wanted to get hold of it, in fact we hid. We were bossed from minute 1. I don’t buy this , we were about to make changes stuff, it could have been done earlier and easily

Bad day for us all but DC will sort it I hope

We have so many players back in the defensive 3rd that teams can play out from the back. We have no high press at all because if a team can pass it around one striker, be it Amoo, Rodney, Harratt, whoever, they then have half the pitch to walk it up the wings. Sometimes the simple idea is the best idea and put our best attacking options on the pitch in the right positions and let them worry about us. We have some of the best attacking talent in the league but it’s wasted with this overly defensive 5-man back line. That’s the sort of tactics you employ to stay up, not go up. 

2 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

He did do more in 90 mins than he did for us but I don't agree that he couldn't be bothered for the Vale.

When ever he played/came on for Vale he seemed to be trying too hard and it was obvious he had skill, could create and do the unexpected. However, under JA and DC he didn't get much of a chance, 259 lge mins under DC and I can't find any Lge mins for his time under JA. If my memory serves me right he played well in a JPT game and scored a superb goal.

For me it was a case of both managers being unable to work out the best place to play him or they didn't "trust" him or like his style of play. The Swindon manager seems to have worked him out as did Carlisle the season before.

Carlisle didn't want him.  His wonder goal in the JPT was against a bairns team. 

Salford marks halfway, get back to winning ways there and we are set up nicely to take the league on second time round. I think we really need to trust a CB partnership of 2 and use a formation that can benefit from high possession and easier pressure on the ball. At the moment, and even games we’ve won, we’ve had 1/3rd possession and scored on the counter. There’s players out in the cold like Walker, Politic etc. Who must be thinking I have no discernible role here. The fact is you really don’t need 5 at the back at home against 75% of this league, we need to go man-for-man and take the game to teams.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

To summarise my essay - we're bang out of form, 2 wins in 7 league games (one against 9 men), no keeper we can rely on, not playing well for any extended spells in games, strange personnel decisions to shoehorn in new signings, outclassed by a better-coached team who have lost 4-5 starters in the last fortnight.

I don't believe Covolan's sending off cost us the game.  I believe the fact that we were rubbish from the kick off cost us the game.  They pressed us all over the pitch and we couldn't pass water at all.  Covolan was statistically the best keeper in the National League last season.  To say he should never play for us again is OTT.  He will have four games to consider his stupidity - let's hope Stone turns out to be as good as everyone thinks he is.

19 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Carlisle didn't want him.  His wonder goal in the JPT was against a bairns team. 

Carlisle may not have wanted him but they got something out of him, I bet people at Carlisle are asking a few questions now.  You still have to have the skill and talent to do it whether it's bairns or the old f@rts team. 

I think the goalkeeper getting sent off deservedly has masked over what it seems a very poor performance today .

If players cannot be up for a game against a club just above them in the league you have to ask .

Why you in this profession ?

Why doesn't he give them a right bollocking before kick off .

It seems like we have complacency setting in or players believing they are better than what they actually are .

I've seen it so many times before it's time every player stepped up there performance levels starting on Tues v Salford .

Against Brentford going forwards second half we had a zip about us I could not  believe what I was reading today about all there goal attempts and thats what concerns me the most eventually if we continue to let opposition have goal attempts galore the  likelihood is that more goals will be conceded .

Not a bad day a really bad day I can take losing and every player giving there all but I'm hearing that only 2 or 3 out of the 11 gave there all . 

This concerns me greatly we seem to have a kind of mentality that is of the weak variety .

Players need to stand up and be counted now that's 9 conceded in last 3 games with Smith a starter all the time time to try someone else 

He is no leader at the back 

UTV 

20 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I don't believe Covolan's sending off cost us the game.  I believe the fact that we were rubbish from the kick off cost us the game.  They pressed us all over the pitch and we couldn't pass water at all.  Covolan was statistically the best keeper in the National League last season.  To say he should never play for us again is OTT.  He will have four games to consider his stupidity - let's hope Stone turns out to be as good as everyone thinks he is.

No-one is saying Stone is particularly good, just that a keeper who needlessly assaults an opposition player is a liability and shouldn't automatically get his place back.

having watched the clip of the sending off incident . it seems very wishy washy to me but ive yet to find anything that was " dangerous" in the said incident. covolan made 2 outstanding saves prior to the incident and while his antics in early games (trying to take players on etc) has largely vanished from his game he needs to learn from this. and quickly. back the lad. hes a foreign keeper in a foreign country and he deserves a chance. ive seen loads of people saying on social media he should never play for the club again. i disagree. people make mistakes whether he learns from them will make or break his career at vale park. the last thing he wants is the fans turning on him when he does play again. as for the rest of the team they never left the dressing room. shows we havent played a league game since december 11. and it showed. im not hitting the panic button over one game.

Archived